ZF 4HP22 acting up

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My E24 automatic transmission ZF 4HP22 is acting up.
When it gets to 4th gear it goes down to 2nd gear. Manual shifting and sport mode of 1-2-3
work fine. Fluid level and color are perfect. 1987 model with ~1/4 million miles.

Is this possibly electrical from its ECU or connections, or is it time to put a fresh transmission?

Is there a big difference between rebuilding the tranny here in California vs. getting a BMW rebuilt?

Willing to do the right thing, the car ride is great, solid, Dinan suspension/chip, replaced all they key systems over the years and my youngest son is starting to drive it so I need another 50k miles out of it or until he totals it.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
My E24 automatic transmission ZF 4HP22 is acting up.
When it gets to 4th gear it goes down to 2nd gear. Manual shifting and sport mode of 1-2-3
work fine. Fluid level and color are perfect. 1987 model with ~1/4 million miles. Is this possibly electrical from its ECU or connections, or is it time to put a fresh transmission? Is there a big difference between rebuilding the tranny here in California vs. getting a BMW rebuilt? Willing to do the right thing, the car ride is great, solid, Dinan suspension/chip, replaced all they key systems over the years and my youngest son is starting to drive it so I need another 50k miles out of it or until he totals it.

Last I heard cost for a ZF-remanufactured 4HP-22EH (rebuilt BY the ZF facility here in the states) was around 4k (sympathetic BMW dealer's cost) and frankly, I am sorely considering just that for my 85 745. Your hunch about the OD 4th gear is possibly right but ATs remain an unexplored mystery for me. Unfortunately I know no one in the yay area anymore who does ATs, so can't provide a referral...

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks DP. How about these guys in the US: http://www.europeantransmissions.com/
their figure is $1250. ANybody used them before?

Hi Arde, thanks for another lead! A couple of thoughts:

1) The prices for shops never include a torque converter, which they will always tell you you need a new one (rmfg) if you want them to honor the warranty for the trans....

2) Our cars (your 635 and my 745) have an ecu that makes for a different valve body (as I recall) SO the number for our trans is 4HP-22EH

3) it is always a good sign if the shop references the ZF uprates/modifications that the manufacturer implemented, these trannies FRY if the revisions aren't incorporated

Hopefully we'll hear from someone with experience with this vendor....

Best regards,

Dale Phelps, Northern Colorado
losgatos_dale at yahoo dot com

61porsche

Reaction score

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I started troubleshooting the electricals but then also checked the fluid and it is brownish and smelly. I guess we'll try a remanufactured tranny.
Where does sfdon have automatic transmission rebuilt?

Any other things I should be refreshing when replacing the transmission? Mounts? Seals?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can send you the factory troubleshooting guide for the 4hp eh 22.
Are you aware of the BMW repair kit for the
Connector?
I also have the 745i Motronic 4hp eh 22 schematic

Joe Gisler rebuilds the 745 I tranny- keep
In mind the 745 uses the very rare P1 converter
Great place in San Jose for rebuilding those
In LA at Coupekings shop- reach me phone after a pm

Don

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Don, I did have the troubleshooting guide in PDF, I was just discouraged by the brownish fluid. Will do a flush and maybe try Lucas tomorrow.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Joe has a few already done and ready to ship. keep in mind that the 745i valve body and torque convertor are different.
01 Rmfd automatic transmission EH 4HP22-TJ 1 05/1983 07/1985 24001215394 ENDED
01 Rmfd automatic transmission EH 4HP22 1 05/1983 07/1985 24001217048 ENDED
01 Rmfd automatic transmission EH 4HP22-XK 1 05/1983 24001216119 $3,816.72 +core

And the P1 can be tough to locate.

2 Torque converter P1 1 05/1983 24411215578 ENDED

Valve body is 745i only -

Part 24341217115 (Control unit) was found on the following vehicles:

E23: Details on E23
E23 745i Sedan, Europe

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DP, I had to go local because the flush + Lucas band aid failed and my transmission is toast. It would be nice if you go to Joe so we can compare in another 200k miles who did better... Spoke to Joe and he seems knowledgeable and flexible.

The local option also seems knowledgeable but the user interface involves more expletives.