E9 Registry

chicane

Reaction score
Ok, no problem, we'll drop it then. Definitely do NOT want to waste our time. Figured since we had the resources at our fingertips and the ability to get it rolling quick, free and with a good already-established interface that's not going anywhere, it would be a good option for you folks. I'll be around as I look for my e9... I look forward to registering it wherever is dubbed the official "one."

Thanks for the effort. But I do not want to see anyone waste time and/or money when no one will use it. If you have time or talents, you can always ask Dang if he needs any help.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
What if they built a Registry and nobody came?

More than anyone I've debated this point off board and offered assistance...So let's just let the Umpires do their thing and maybe their end product will surprise all of us with it's character and comprehensive nature...

Could happen!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
What if they built a Registry and nobody came?

More than anyone I've debated this point off board and offered assistance...So let's just let the Umpires do their thing and maybe their end product will surprise all of us with it's character and comprehensive nature...

Could happen!

The alternative is this...

Let's have everyone who is interested in creating an E9 registry go off and spend hours and hours developing a program, get input from E9 enthusiasts from around the world, make changes based on everyone's opinions and spend more time tweaking every little detail. Then, we can post a Poll on the forum for about two or three weeks and see which program "wins!". After a winner is selected, we can contact the developers of the other programs and tell them "thanks for your time".

There are a LOT of talented people on this forum and we need input from all of them, but, I also feel that this project doesn't have to be such a huge deal. The comments I've gotten up to this point are all basically the same ideas presented in different ways. All things considered, how complicated does this really need to be? Because there are only a very limited number of designs this registry can have, I prefer to start with a given direction (the beta site coming soon) and get input on how to make it the best we can make it. If we have a big team of developers working on a small project, you spend more time making decisions than you do moving forward.

If I sound frustrated that's because I am. I apologize, but its time to move on...

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I agree Dan (make it simple and malleable) and in case you haven't been listening, for the most part we have moved on...at least the bulk of us that are mature enough to realize that building something meaningful often takes lots of teamwork...Not unlike a suspension bridge (with many critical downstay cables holding it all together) we all likewise have to learn to adapt and grow larger ourselves in the process of realizing the benfit from the effort involved...getting from one side of the river to another, that be our goal.

sundialbridge.jpg

....and you're absolutely right, this is NOT Hoover Dam we build here ... although just because the few of us that do post here (to hopefully air these issues) doesn't mean we also don't miss YOU and also at times seek and 'pine' for your guidance, leadership and also information' from the far reaches of the 'Executive Restroom' ... as to what's actually been the decided route? I will grant you that some of us do this in perhaps an overly wordy way but that's the medium when most of us posting on this message board are simply a bit more 'virtual' of friends and associates when doing so...

Not just a few of the ideas and yes, the verbalized ones if not the (more speculative) rampant trepidation at the amount of work the data gathering will be and the time and manpower etc. that the project will demand and in those discussions that I've been privy to most of what I hear seems to at least have some merit.....as there is and are some long-term consequences to all of this for the most of us and face it, it's our entire membersip's collective 'foot' that's also getting put forth further into the universe, as more often than not... and we just want the darn Registry to be as good as the cars we drive...can you get your thinking around that?

Sure the Registry setup is a simple job... that also just so happens to totally rely on the far in the future information gathering efforts of members like us but also on the sheer 'attractiveness' (for lack of a better term) of the chosen medium and the how, when and why of some Coupe owner who just might offer his or her information into the pot (or not offer same) and/or perhaps diligently research himself some (seemingly) insignificant niche into the heretofore unknown e9 binary universe of ours!.... that may indeed turn out to be the most interesting result of all.

Know that for sure it's simply inherent in the nature of any Registry that the storing and dissemination of the information gathered later on is NOT the easy part. I think that what we all know and feel in our bones is the fact that it's going to take a good bit of time... and organization. Instinctively this wears upon us (you too, hence the frustration) when we fully grasp the herculean task at hand. But then again, isn't that why they pay you the big bucks Dan?.. lol@@!!

Just don't forget for a moment that we the 'unclean' masses constituting the membership of this organization which we, by sheer numbers if not merit also add a bit of 'mass' and credibility if I may be so bold to say add significantly to the whole 'ken' of the idea.... this new era of for once 'law' and 'order' amongst all of us renegade Coupe owners. That itself being the end product of the set-up work (to form the Registry we speak of here) Yet since we are NOT being paid but with perhaps a tiny ration of .005 pencil lead once a week, is it too much that we at least aim to use it to our best advantage? Also, (just how can I put this?) perhaps a bit more of that soothing intuitive empathy on your part might indeed go a long way toward calming the waters on the next large project you decide to take on as Head Honcho. This, I learned in my management seminars but the only real useful thing I took away was when I realized that it was far to late to implement that strategy effectively.

And truthfully HH, no one among us should have to sacrifice their own peace of mind for someone else's idea of what constitutes a utopian idea of proper order, entropy without enthalpy and/or some good old cosmic dust collection... Since not a one of us here is perhaps even nearly as good of a speaker, house leader or dirty rotten Politician as say our current US President appears to be..It's simply that most of us have just been patiently waiting for the next set of instructions from you, our fine Captain Dan... Each of us hoping to again watch him stand up and take the field (perhaps a bit more often too?) nonetheless enter the freay with a bit more to reveal too us mere players... and so just as in football (a team sport?) an adept hand-carry being what it may... You Dan, calling the right play can really turn things around... In truth though, we have to trust you in this process, as to we can see and evaluate what's in front of us and use that vision to appreciate your practiced professionalism and maturity together with YOUR TEAM SPIRIT to, of course extract the best end result...All we can do is protect you (as the Quarterback) from a lengthy sack and then help organize all of rest of us and like clockwork, execute the game plan to perfection...in hopes so that we ALL can win and all be proud together, of each other and of course pat you heartily on the back for all of your good thinking and even-handed effort when the project was young and had not yet come to fully to fruition...

Finally, being on the creative design side myself and IMHO especially in the development of any large project is very much like playing the character of the budding 'up-and-coming' Junior Architect Roark, who has lunch money in his pocket and is confidently (yet secretly) playing both sides against each other, from the middle... simultaneously bidding then modeling, night after night till his significant other thinks foreboing thoughts of Divorce.. all the while kissing ass on all three major potential full-build projects until he's got a good and persistent case of 'cottonmouth...who then discovers that even his best of friends think he's lost it... and just when these friends see him practicing for the upcomming presentation to one client after another (for over six months) then is when these freinds also observe him learning of the sad news that in the end that (..usually one of the Client's cousins from New Jersey, who's been attending Art Center College of Design in LA for a year and ultimately upsurps our young aspiring Architect ) as cousin's ultimately the 'safe-choice' and is given the nod to construct that Client's house or building or maybe the next "Johnson & Johnson factory and office building" in Wisconsin... for no more reason than that it's the easy answer and solution, and perhaps at worst, not the best one.

So if it makes any difference Dan, I do emphasize with your mid-stream leadership position but it's not the keystone of a good leadership to tell the uninformed here that you are a bit tired of having to respond to this dialogue... Since you and I don't know each other very well (yet)... and that's tough part Dan the process of realizing that one knows dat da El Heffe ( da boss) has dominion over the virtual proletariat of us pencil chewers and at some points along the way he might miss some important aspect that's been a thorn in his side all along and he wants it gone.... like today.

Speaking for myself, it was very hard running a small collective firm of creatives (them acting like envious neighbors, more often than not) It was also hard but it was also fun you couldn't get from reading a Tom Clancy novel either. It's exciting to steer such a large vessel as this..to and fro..and shucks I even learned a lot about management theory finally in the process...Oh, and speaking of the leadership role and process, you know that thing about management's always wearing a tie at work (that really sucks chisels MHO! wearing a tie... big time) I resisted heartily and at most times could be seen sporting a bolo tie!

In fairness to you, I certainly did not realize you were so far along the development path when we first spoke about the Registry. i do know that you've been very graceful (and gracious) about it all so I've decided to say nothing until now (when I got no response from the last letter to you a few weeks ago)... and even-handed as you clearly are when it comes to our collective mutual visions for the future or this tiny Coupe oasis...and I also certainly got to broach my ideas at least visually for a day or two.

See, one of the crazy things about design work that keeps us all guessing is that darnit if the timing's not got to be right too... just precisely like the timing of the spark firing motors we drive back and forth to work every day...So too, (in it's own time as it never takes even one day off work ever) the sun will also rise tomorrow, no matter what path we choose... alas, but methinks I digress Horatio... and we certainly can't have any of that!

G'night...all'

Ran

Last edited:

tmason

Reaction score
Make it Simple

Thanks Dan for all you do on this site!There is alot of talent on this forum and making a registery as simple as possible I think would be best.I use Planetisuzu for my son's 89 Trooper and I like that forum for imput on fixing these Classic too.Thanks alot for having this site for all of us to enjoy! Tim

Reaction score
If I can give my humble opinion.

I have maintained the formal registry of a brass car company, Le Zebre, for 15 years now. I have been in touch with other people doing the same task. It is a lot of work. In general you need people who have a passion for the task, very organized and who are eager to share their work freely. You can see the registry at the following url address:

http://lezebre.eu/car/le%20zebre/inventaire.htm

When Internet became available, I posted all the knowledge on internet. I consider that I gather knowledge and make it available to whom ever. I do not own the information.

So finding the right individual is key!!!! Technology is easy.

More recently I have started keeping track of all Amilcar C6s, which is the CLS version of the Amilcars. You can see the work at the following url address:

http://lezebre.eu/car/amilcar/photo%20gallery%20voiture%201000.htm

Having had a BMW CSL, I always had some pages about the BMW CSLs on my website. It is not a registry by far, it is more a photo album. It is still a lot under construction. It can be seen at:

http://www.lezebre.eu/car/bmw%2030%20csl/photo%20gallery%20bmw%2030%20csl%20voiture%20000.htm

Enjoy the viewing.

Ex owner of CSL 2275066
Ex owner of a 30 CSI
Ex owner of 2000 TI

jhjacobs

Reaction score
E9-Driven Registry breaks 500 cars

After about a year of operation the E9-Driven registry has broken the 500 car barrier! My thanks to all those who have registered coupes and more thanks to those who have contributed time and funds to make the site functional.

www.e9-driven.com

The site operation has been fairly smooth. We had only a few complaints and problems; mainly previously registered cars from ads or former owners. We do our best to untangle these matters promptly. In one case we had a fellow who recently purchased his coupe get upset because someone had registered it from an ad and even uploaded photos. He threatened legal action... we called his bluff and then took down the entry.

I suggest that we start a short discussion about how to move the registry forward (with our limited resources). We actually have a significant data base built and it would be nice to maximize it's value to the community without violating anyones confidence / privacy. All input is welcome and encouraged.

Hey 2275066, how about entering your ex-coupe!

Reaction score
I have registered 2275066.

After about a year of operation the E9-Driven registry has broken the 500 car barrier! My thanks to all those who have registered coupes and more thanks to those who have contributed time and funds to make the site functional.

www.e9-driven.com

The site operation has been fairly smooth. We had only a few complaints and problems; mainly previously registered cars from ads or former owners. We do our best to untangle these matters promptly. In one case we had a fellow who recently purchased his coupe get upset because someone had registered it from an ad and even uploaded photos. He threatened legal action... we called his bluff and then took down the entry.

I suggest that we start a short discussion about how to move the registry forward (with our limited resources). We actually have a significant data base built and it would be nice to maximize it's value to the community without violating anyones confidence / privacy. All input is welcome and encouraged.

RogerB

Reaction score
2211 and 2212 CSLs

www.e9-driven.com

Just curious, but why are the 1971 original CSL (carbureted cars) 2211 and 2212 CSLs listed in the registry as 1972 and 1973? Were they not sold until then and then registered that late?
I know I once owned two CSis (72 & 73) with the lower VIN of the two being on the later year (73).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Most likely because the owner doesn't have the build date and they have entered whatever is on the registration as the model year. Euro coupes did not have distinct model year cutovers from the factory (U.S. coupes did due to EPA/DOT) is the explanation from Andreas.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Build versus delivery date...

I debated whether to register mine as a 71 (built) or 72 (delivered). There's a big gap in these dates on many of the Ls. In the end it's the vin that tells you what u need to know.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Just curious, but why are the 1971 original CSL (carbureted cars) 2211 and 2212 CSLs listed in the registry as 1972 and 1973? Were they not sold until then and then registered that late?
I know I once owned two CSis (72 & 73) with the lower VIN of the two being on the later year (73).

The person who enters the registry record specifies the year of the car; unless we see a gross error we (at the registry) don't make any changes. In my own case I have this exact type of dilemma. My car (2240142) is titled as a 71 but according to the BMW VIN records it is probably a 72. One day I may write to BMW to get formal clarification but it has not bubbled to the top of my "to do" list.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Registry Merchandise

I know I am a bit off the topic but will we ever have any Registry Merchandise such as shirts, mugs, mousepads, ect. for sale? I don't thhink anything has ever been offerd for sale and if that is going to remain the case maybe we should take out that link from the registry.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know I am a bit off the topic but will we ever have any Registry Merchandise such as shirts, mugs, mousepads, ect. for sale? I don't thhink anything has ever been offerd for sale and if that is going to remain the case maybe we should take out that link from the registry.

Maybe the next round of grill badges will go there...