16" Wheels for e9

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interested to hear what everyone thinks of going with a staggered set, and, whether anyone has experience with Coupe King's repros vs the TUV sets available on eBay. I think Coupe King only offers staggered sets now... Thanks!

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lots of chatter about this already on the forum. Try a search for alpina style or coupe king

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
check out the FAQ section - https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/wheel-tire-sizes-options.35362/

i have owned and driven the coupe with a set of the coupeking repros. they are very good wheels, priced reasonably. the price of real Alpinas and real BBS RS wheels have been going up lately. there is zero problem with 8" rears on the coupe with 225/50-16 tires. in fact there is room to spare. the fronts are always a challenge - 16" x 7" wheels and the 205/55-16 tires tend to catch fender lips. that is a function of the wider tread profile of the lower profile tires. most coupes roll their fender lips and use LJI camber plates to prevent / reduce the problem.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I have been researching this, and coincidentally there's another thread that just popped up yesterday. I have no interest in rolling fenders on an original coupe, and the heavier unsprung weight is also giving me pause...

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the larger wheels are often lighter, i was only talking about the rotating mass further away from the axle in relation to braking force. if you do not want to roll the fenders, i would not entertain putting 16" wheels on the car. if you catch a lip, you will not only tear the tire (or at least cut it), you will in all likelihood bend the fender lip and run the high risk of damaging the paint at that location.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I have been researching this, and coincidentally there's another thread that just popped up yesterday. I have no interest in rolling fenders on an original coupe, and the heavier unsprung weight is also giving me pause...

Rolling the fender lips will not hurt value unless your coupe is a true 100% original low mileage survivor. I would do it even if you stay with 14” wheels but go up to a 205 width tire. It’s good prevention of an avoidable mishap.

AFAIK, 14’s are generally lighter than 16” wheel/tire packages. You can shop tires based on weight if you are really concerned about it. There can be as much as a 4lbs weight difference between different tires of the same size.

The diff between run-flats and conventional can be closer to 10lbs!