1974 3.0CSL on BaT

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah - now it is back. Who knows what happened behind the scenes... Oddly worded comment - and kinda harsh actually, or maybe not. LOL
This auction is highlighting to me the current (and disappointing) state of affairs with BaT currently.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The flag disappears only if you gave the post a Like, otherwise it stays as other posts with 8 Likes can still be flagged.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lots of little things to correct on this car, but this one intrigues me the most. It appears that the hoop is screwed right into the edge roof. It was my assumption based on highly correct batmobiles (not shown below), as well as BMW Info Arvchiv's own photos (shown below), and other Bat examples (shown below) that the roof hoop should be clamped onto the drip rail as seen below. Am I mistaken? Is the hoop still screwed to the roof but has an outer support that is missing here? How about the center post?

BaT: CSL at auction:
DSC00100-15775-scaled.jpg

BMW Archives:
web.jpg

web (1).jpg

BaT: (@Teej -- 2275 lightweight w/ perspex, perlon, etc - non batmobile)
3.0-CSL-at-Thornhill-Cruisers-9387-e1477663725690.jpg

BaT: (Terry's carb CSL w/ bat kit)
IMG_6179-1-65630.jpg

BaT: (Ron's batmobile - also far from "perfect")
1974_bmw_3-0csl_batmobile_1565033620a866ecedit-1397.jpg

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The flag disappears only if you gave the post a Like, otherwise it stays as other posts with 8 Likes can still be flagged.
I've seen posts with 15 likes still disappear... if I recall correctly ( from another auction - not this one).

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lots of little things to correct on this car, but this one intrigues me the most. It appears that the hoop is screwed right into the edge roof. It was my assumption based on highly correct batmobiles (not shown below), as well as BMW Info Arvchiv's own photos (shown below), and other Bat examples (shown below) that the roof hoop should be clamped onto the drip rail as seen below. Am I mistaken? Is the hoop still screwed to the roof but has an outer support that is missing here? How about the center post?

BaT: CSL at auction:
View attachment 168844

BMW Archives:
View attachment 168846

View attachment 168845

BaT: (@Teej -- 2275 lightweight w/ perspex, perlon, etc - non batmobile)
View attachment 168843

BaT: (Terry's carb CSL w/ bat kit)
View attachment 168847

BaT: (Ron's batmobile - also far from "perfect")
View attachment 168848
Ouch - yes, that actually hurts me to look at it should make every E9 lover wince.

It should only intrigue you, if you could stabbed in the stomach by a stranger, standing totally non plussed looking at said stranger and say "thats intriguing" otherwise your reaction should be more in keeping with said stabbing

:) :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
after re-reading everything in this thread, i had to go back and really look at all the pics. while i am not a CSL expert, there are so many little things that just look odd.
3 - the air dam to fender connection might be correct, i have only noticed the black rubber on one other CSL at Amelia in 2015 (not the Rahal car). i think the shape of the top edges are wrong and calls attention out to the black rubber more. in closer examination, the air dam does not appear to be original, the bottom lip is a thick edge instead of a fine edge. perhaps the overall shape is just wrong and that is why the motorsport stripe doesn't fit correctly.
4 - why is the apron below the grill black? shouldn't it be body color
6 - the bottom (rear) of the drivers door doesn't seem to fit quite right - its low and out of line. you don't see the uniform black line between the rocker trim and the door - perhaps these doors were re-skinned and just don't fit correctly or just don't close properly
7 - as mentioned, the motorsport stripe on the air dam - everything about the stripe looks wrong, especially the ends.
12 - missing the roundel on the boot spoiler as well as the 3.0 CSL decal
14 - same issue on passenger door bottom

then there are some of the basic minor issues using newer parts instead of original parts
79 - as mentioned, the grill is wrong
165 - as mentioned, the connection of the rear hoop
221 - zipper on shift lever leather seems to be silver instead of bronze
224 - newer style parking brake handle instead of ribbed style

tired of looking - never got to the trunk, engine compartment or under the car. its got a lot of nice elements, looks pretty ... just not what an original or restored CSL should be. everything about the air dam is what offends me the most.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
after re-reading everything in this thread, i had to go back and really look at all the pics. while i am not a CSL expert, there are so many little things that just look odd.
3 - the air dam to fender connection might be correct, i have only noticed the black rubber on one other CSL at Amelia in 2015 (not the Rahal car). i think the shape of the top edges are wrong and calls attention out to the black rubber more. in closer examination, the air dam does not appear to be original, the bottom lip is a thick edge instead of a fine edge. perhaps the overall shape is just wrong and that is why the motorsport stripe doesn't fit correctly.
4 - why is the apron below the grill black? shouldn't it be body color
6 - the bottom (rear) of the drivers door doesn't seem to fit quite right - its low and out of line. you don't see the uniform black line between the rocker trim and the door - perhaps these doors were re-skinned and just don't fit correctly or just don't close properly
7 - as mentioned, the motorsport stripe on the air dam - everything about the stripe looks wrong, especially the ends.
12 - missing the roundel on the boot spoiler as well as the 3.0 CSL decal
14 - same issue on passenger door bottom

then there are some of the basic minor issues using newer parts instead of original parts
79 - as mentioned, the grill is wrong
165 - as mentioned, the connection of the rear hoop
221 - zipper on shift lever leather seems to be silver instead of bronze
224 - newer style parking brake handle instead of ribbed style

tired of looking - never got to the trunk, engine compartment or under the car. its got a lot of nice elements, looks pretty ... just not what an original or restored CSL should be. everything about the air dam is what offends me the most.

The exhaustive list is really really long, but most can be corrected pretty easily.

Agreed in full on the air damn. Perhaps an expert can chime in on series 1, but certainly the series 2 chin should indeed be black (like the wipers haha!). Note the motorsport stripes don’t go limp also.
D9FFAA2D-70E4-4B80-9737-2185BF15B943.jpeg
D56977AA-4576-4930-8A89-8DFF2C498676.jpeg
7EA050A7-77D9-4DDA-A055-D6A2D01A8A5F.jpeg

Also, the brochure has a good pic of the roof hoop clamps:
050C5FEB-E9F9-4CB5-A5B9-F62EA120E713.jpeg

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
....but have a look at the photo of 1978. For me it seems this is the same as installed now!?
Thomas

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't know if it is because I really don't follow too many BaT auctions in too much detail....
But do these guys (gals?) go around and just post pointless comments on each others auctions?
These pointless and STUPID backslapping comments in this one are really getting to me.
As such - I just followed Markos' line in a comment to the auction. Gotta have fun when we can, eh?

To tell you the truth - It really diminishes the value of both the CSL listing here as well as their own profile on BaT.
If there were a car to come up for auction from one of them (besides our friend here) - I would go over it with a fine tooth comb as I would trust nothing that they say about their listing.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
At this point, the seller has nothing to add to the auction. You either like the batmobile or you don’t. Use the information about the seller to better inform your decisions on other auctions going forward if a batmobile isn’t in the cards.

I do know that the seller has some disappointed e31 customers who bought “perfect” cars, and people punted from the e31 FB group that he admins. Unfortunately bimmerforum admins like to delete contentious posts. That doesn’t mean that a savvy tech guy can’t still read them and perhaps keep the screenshots.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
....but have a look at the photo of 1978. For me it seems this is the same as installed now!?
Thomas
....also have a look at the Werks-Coupes 1975 onwards, same fixing. What I only miss is the centre support.
So what you see is just state of the art, "honi soit qui mal y pense"
Thomas