1974 BMW 3.0 CS in partnership with actor Robert Downey Jr. Downey

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I never noticed the cable management on the ignition distributor. Nice. Need to do that myself.

rudy1952

Reaction score
Would love to get a console like Robert's. Wonder how he solve the hand brake issue. I just bought my in Dec 2022 and have been making improvements all around. Great to have access to such a great forum.

Attachments

• IMG_5684.jpg
    IMG_5684.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5613(1).jpg
    IMG_5613(1).jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5516.jpg
    IMG_5516.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5612.jpg
    IMG_5612.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5578.jpg
    IMG_5578.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5542(1).jpg
    IMG_5542(1).jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5696.jpg
    IMG_5696.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 139

day66

Reaction score
I think it’s rather more imaginative than many of the custom projects - I don’t like every detail, but I’d rather have this than something slammed to the floor riding on 20 inch wheels with rubber band tyres!

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That car made the rounds before... A while ago actually if I am not mistaken. NICE car. Very nice actually.
And - one thing that causes some discussion is that it is an automatic. If I were in Los Angeles and had to deal with ungodly amounts of traffic on a regular basis - having an automatic would NOT be a bad thing in my opinion.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
And an automatic?
Really out of step with the Iron Man theme, isn't it? Which is execrable. Sorry, I'm firmly in the "this thing is an abomination" camp.

A review of SpeedKore's limited portfolio confirms their penchant for murdering out everything they touch, then naming it as such.

Mission accomplished.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't hate it.

I think it looks rather lovely. However, to tone down the stark contrast of the CF rockers/front airdam, I'd paint the whole thing black.

Nice stance tho:

BMW-Gallery-Desktop2_5ac0e24f-9b53-44bd-b36f-b16bc1d7fc54_1600x.png

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't hate it.

I think it looks rather lovely. However, to tone down the stark contrast of the CF rockers/front airdam, I'd paint the whole thing black.

Nice stance tho:

BMW-Gallery-Desktop2_5ac0e24f-9b53-44bd-b36f-b16bc1d7fc54_1600x.png
Haha "Stark" contrast - you know Iron Man, Tony Start - sorry for that

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This e9 is worlds apart from anything I would build or buy. With that said, I like everything about it. The color, the motor, the interior, the CF and Wood hydro-dipped parts. I like it for the same reason that I like ‘64 bagged/hydro Impas with gold flake paint and elaborate “pinstriping”. I also like cafe racer motorcycles, elaborate 90’s choppers, jeeps on 37” tires, minitrucks, s2000’s with stretched tires, bagged BMW e3’s, the list goes on.

IMO It would make a perfect 3rd e9. One factory, one faithfully modified, then then the wild one. Not that it is remotely similar, but thematically it reminds me of Jabberjaw, which happen’s to be @ccr2002 ‘s 3rd e9. Point being, when you have other perfect factory beauties in the stable why not have something more custom?

Also, there are plenty of e9’s to go around. Just like the 911, each year that passes we get more on the road not less. There is plenty of headroom in the market to account for 1% crazy.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My first look at the belt-line puzzled me. Trim from a rust bucket on its way to the crusher? Then the description: "wood-grain belt-line." I knew instantly this is a rolling, over-the-top, unmitigated failure. The rest of the photos confirmed! Why, on God's green earth, butcher one of the most beautiful cars ever built. Baffeling.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion but I will likely just move it or perhaps use a shorter handle.
Rudy - what are you trying to accomplish? Downey's car has an ebrake handle offset to the side, which is probably to allow for cup holders. I'm not a metal fabrication guy, but I would think this could be done with a custom bent handle and a different mount to create the offset.

If cup holders are the problem, consider an ultimate cup holder: https://www.ultimatecupholders.com/ I have one of these in my coupe on the passenger side floor (and in my e39 sedan as well). You may need to get fresh with passengers from time to time, but that may not be all bad depending on the passenger.

I certainly would not install an electric e brake in lieu of an actually working dead reliable cable system. (Then again, I've actually lost all my brake fluid in a car and had to rely on my ebrake to stop).

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I really like this car. The problem is that is what I will loosely call a "2015 style car", it won't age well. 15 years from now people will look at this car and be really sad. Right now I really like it other than a few choices.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
And... he's giving it (along with the rest of his collection) away! But they'll all be greened-up first.

"Before giving his car collection away, Downey will have all of them “reimagined” to be more “eco-friendly.” The thought that immediately comes to mind is
swapping out the engines for electric powertrains, a very costly modification that’s also incredibly controversial in the hobby. But hey, it’ll make great content
for the dwindling number of people who still have Disney+."

Last edited: