2002tii on BaT.....

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah - I know, not E3 or E9, but... Jeezzee....

1972_bmw_2000-tii_dsc07383-79195.jpg

1972 2002tii on BaT....

Wonderful looking (and I presume driving car) - but $250k worth of wonderful? I don't know how that is possible... I don't have that much into my Coupe (via SFDon) and not sure how I could have (put more $$ in) if I even wanted to.....

Wow... Just wow.

Eric V

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There was another 2002 over the top expensive restoration last year, done by the Werk shop.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That is one incredible restoration. 6 days left, but whatever it sells for ($150K?) count on the “you couldn’t build it for that money” comments.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm reminded of the time Chris Auty picked me up (from delivering a 1992 525i5 to my niece in NH) and took me over to VSR. I knew about his GLAS 1700GT Cabriolet from our trip to the Lime Rock Historics, but I didn't know about his other Frua designed cars. At the time of our tour, Chris had Mario working on one of the (five) original BMW GLAS 1600GTs sold in the US, along with a GLAS 1700GT. He had originally purchased the GLAS 1700GT as a parts car, but upon discovering it was rust free and relatively intact, he decided to restore that too. After informing me of this decision to restore the second GLAS GT, Chris said something like: I just love the process of restoring cars. I keep them for a short time, drive and enjoy them, and pass along very nice cars to other car nuts.

Some of them made money, others did not. But Chris could afford it and made a bunch of good friends in the process. At the time, this made perfect sense to me. Still does.

Last edited:

otter74

Reaction score
I'm shocked that someone spent that much to restore a 2002, and it sold for $25k last time it was for sale!

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am genuinely curious if some of the members who have done their own restorations tallied up their hours at a $135/hour shop rate what they would have “spent”

And I acknowledge it is easy be to judge someone who spent this sort of money on something that doesn’t have an obvious return, but I also know that the car world is much better off with folks who justify the spend via other means than a return. I have no doubt whoever gets this car (likely for less than the costs to date) will love everything about it.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The owner spent $25K + 5% to buy the car in 2020 on BaT. Then he spent the $265K and 3 years to have it again on BaT. But he can afford it. He also still owns a '72 CS and a Bentley. He's about 74 years old. When I read the invoices from the Austin,Tx. co. that did the work it seems they bought parts one at a time from W&N and charged the owner the full freight each time!! And now the finished car is not as straight trim-wise as it was in the previous BaT auction. Bummer......

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Offpage - I've done all the work on my car - 5 speed conversion, new seats and complete interior color change, Triple Webers, resolved numerous electric issues (melted wiring, etc.), suspension and steeeing upgrades...

Having done all of this, I might be worth $135, but while I was struggling my way through the work - maybe half that.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah - I know, not E3 or E9, but... Jeezzee....

1972_bmw_2000-tii_dsc07383-79195.jpg

1972 2002tii on BaT....

Wonderful looking (and I presume driving car) - but $250k worth of wonderful? I don't know how that is possible... I don't have that much into my Coupe (via SFDon) and not sure how I could have (put more $$ in) if I even wanted to.....

Wow... Just wow.
250K for restoration it can not be right, not even e9 would go up that much for restoration, I had 2002 tii when I paint the car he charge me 9000 but I pay 13k for my E9 rebuilding 4cylinder engine is much less my e9 engine rebuild cost me 12k, and every part I buy new, I don't know how can he spend 250k

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As I read the BaT ad I was reminded of the quote, "A fool and and his money is easily parted." Turns out those words have been around for a long time. And they are still good advice, for the fool. In 1537 Dr.(of divinity I assume) John Bridges wrote in the, "Defence of the Government of the Church of England" "A foole and his money is soone parted." Good advice then, good advice today.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Maybe the best BaT post of the year is jackjake's, Apr 29 at 9:34 PM. I don't think I've ever seen over 50 thumbs up on any other BaT post (not that I've seen them all ;) )

I'll just quote his conclusion, but the whole post is worth a read...

"As for everyone else who is nitpicking, and saying what they would have spent money on, and what they wouldn’t have spent money on… Who cares what you would’ve done? This isn’t your car. This wasn’t your build. You do with your passion what you want. This is what this owner did with his passion and his money. He obviously had it to spend, and gladly did it. He is obviously comfortable letting the car go at whatever loss he takes. For anyone second-guessing him, ask yourself if you’re so brilliant with money, do you have an extra $265,000 sitting around to spend on a passion project?

We are not here because we are sane, we are here because we are crazy."

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Having completely disassembled my E3, every nut and bolt and mostly reassembled it, I can definitively state that there’s no way you could spend $265,000 restoring a 2002. Maybe you could put an $80,000 paint on it I don’t know. even though I have put an ungodly amount of man hours in my car, at every step, I was reinventing the wheel which took at least four times longer than an experienced professional shop wood or should’ve taken. even after a Metric Mechanic engine, transmission, and differential(which are pricey), you can take the 2 off of that figure
and I won’t have that much in it.
Hey, it’s no reserve right, maybe I’ll make a play. It is very nice, but I’m not really into museum pieces.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am genuinely curious if some of the members who have done their own restorations tallied up their hours at a $135/hour shop rate what they would have “spent”

And I acknowledge it is easy be to judge someone who spent this sort of money on something that doesn’t have an obvious return, but I also know that the car world is much better off with folks who justify the spend via other means than a return. I have no doubt whoever gets this car (likely for less than the costs to date) will love everything about it.
I took my Porsche Cayenne diesel to the dealership because it’s still under warranty for the motor. They went through it and gave me a quote for $8000 to do the brakes and a few other things. Point is, their labor rate was $225 an hour.! Restorations gotta be more. but even so, 265,000 on a 2002?

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I actually have no problem spending g money on a car in excess of its market. Lue if you love and enjoy the process. My greater concern is the seemingly poor quality of craftsman shop and detail given to the alignment of the trim/door. Shame on any shop charging top notch rates and door bottom level work. This car is nicer than anything I own. However, my chrome and trim and doors line up on all of my cars for 200k less.wish we new which shop that was so that others could decide to stay away or have a quality/detail conversation