2800CS Vacuum Connections

lsquaredb

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question about a vacuum connection on a 1970 2800CSA US version. There is a vacuum line that's capped with a screw that connects to the lower, fender side port on the rear carb. There is also a thin tube on the air cleaner box that is near the valve cover that has nothing connected to it. Should the line from the carb connect here? The diameters are the same.

Does anyone have a diagram for the connections for this model year? I've looked on the web and haven't found anything. Thanks.

Leonard

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The charcoal cannister line (if you still have one) goes to the air cleaner so keep the rear carb capped.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
The car doesn't have a charcoal canister. I've been looking at old pictures, and it looks like the front and rear carbs are teed to the small pipe connected to the pipe from the air cleaner to the valve cover. Does the small vertical pipe on the air cleaner near the rear carb connect to the line from the expansion tank? Does the other connection on the rear carb connect to the electrovalve?

lsquaredb

Reaction score
I figured it out. There were two problems. This car only has an electrovalve for retarding the timing. The tee and the line from electrovalve to the rear carb was missing. I fixed that and there's been a huge improvement in the drivability and power. The other problem is that the evaporative emission lines are not hooked up properly. I found a diagram in the service manual on e9-driven. I'll fix that as soon as I get another tee for the vacuum line. Hopefully the family complaints about fumes in the basement will decrease when that's fixed.

Would adding a charcoal canister make the car less stinky?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If your coupe had a plastic tank in trunk then it had a charcoal can and hooking it up does help. If it doesn't then probably too much work to add one

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cap everything and it will run and smell much better. Vent the gas filler neck out the bottom by the gas tank support metal.

OZCSi

Reaction score
So does a CSi also have a tank vent? Or vent through the cap?