61 Mpg daily driver

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Over the summer I picked up a 2023 all-wheel-drive Prius limited. Previous to this I bought the only other new car in my lifetime, a 21 Outback XT, but it wasn’t a good fit for my needs other than cargo and towing capabilities. I sold that one after less than 200 miles.

I put down a small deposit on the Prius in June not expecting it to come in very quickly. I also watched the used car prices and saw that they were selling for far more slightly used than new due to the waiting list. (Dealers in Canada can only charge MSRP Max) My car came in my second colour choice quicker than expected late July so I went through with the deal.

I’m about 3,000 miles into it and really like this car. Has pretty good power, very good comfort, excellent ergonomics, very good ride, pretty good handling. It would make a great platform for a GR edition. (Same platform as the GR Corolla)
Taughter springs, sport seats, slightly wider tires with more aggressive alignment and you could pitch it around, as it feels light with a low Center of gravity. Chassis stiffness seems very good.
My biggest complaint is the rake of the windshield makes it very hard to see what is around you when turning right on a city street. I really depend on the safety electronics as well because again, you are in a bit of a cocoon.
The worst mpg I have got is about 50 mpg, and yesterday it got 61 mpg in congested city and highway driving in EC mode. Sport mode it is actually ready to pounce in cut and thrust traffic…. From a Prius! Spoken like an old guy. Never thought I would become a fuel economy enthusiast.

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpeg
    IMG_0370.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0372.jpeg
    IMG_0372.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, they've really cleaned up the styling. It's kind of a cool looking car now. The previous generation had these crazy looking taillights that almost looked like tail fins from the late 50s, early 60s. The new sales engineers at my company have been getting those, everytime I pull up to our parking lot I think to myself how hideous they are.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, Vince is correct ... they have cleaned up the styling. the problem I have is the people who drive them (typically) ... our friend @Nicad excluded. I Want to like EVs ... i just don't (YET). i would like an ev like my audi TTS ... a small sporty car that i can drive like no tomorrow without worrying about anything. go home charge it up .,, and do it again the next day.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just bought an 05 Prius at auction and repaired it for my wife to bomb around town in. IMO, the second gen Prius is the best so I found a low mile car. Getting just under 50mpg, which helps compensate for the 11mpg her G-wagon gets.

She spotted a new Prius the other day and had to tell me. LOL

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just bought an 05 Prius at auction and repaired it for my wife to bomb around town in. IMO, the second gen Prius is the best so I found a low mile car. Getting just under 50mpg, which helps compensate for the 11mpg her G-wagon gets.

She spotted a new Prius the other day and had to tell me. LOL
When my daughter graduated from college in LA a few years ago I bought her a similar vintage Prius. It was a high-mileage car to fit in my cash budget at the time. It performed well for her with the exception of needing a replacement shifter once the old unit wouldn't stay in Drive. The seller did have to have the battery pack rebalanced and had to replace the cat since CA had just started testing hybrid cars for compliance after years of saying it wasn't needed. Since that cat is a CA only unit and virtually no one had needed to replace one there were no aftermarket units available. The OEM cat was veeery expensive, but that was the seller's issue since he couldn't sell the car with a non operational emission system. My daughter liked the mileage and the car in general but unfortunately, a few years later she was rear ended and the car was totaled by the insurance company.

otter74

Reaction score
I'm quite impressed with the new ones. My partner drives a 2nd-gen (2008) and loves it - it's the perfect car for her. If she had to get a new car she'd just go and get what you got. I don't like hers (hate the interior, gutless and it's deathly boring to drive) but I really respect it.

ADDvanced

Reaction score
Love, love, love the new prius. If they sold one with a stickshift I'd want one really really bad. I have a 2000 Insight 5spd for a daily beater, and it performs about as well as an old CRX (non Si), and because it's 1800lbs, it's pretty fun to toss around. Not really a viable car for most people tho.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love, love, love the new prius. If they sold one with a stickshift I'd want one really really bad. I have a 2000 Insight 5spd for a daily beater, and it performs about as well as an old CRX (non Si), and because it's 1800lbs, it's pretty fun to toss around. Not really a viable car for most people tho.
I remember reading an article about how much cutting edge tech Honda put into that first gen Insight and how much they lost per car.
Amazing engineering in that one.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I remember reading an article about how much cutting edge tech Honda put into that first gen Insight and how much they lost per car.
Amazing engineering in that one.
A guy just submitted an 03 yesterday for a quote to buy. 250k, still runs great but beat to hell and needs a cat. I passed.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Good Buddy Mike, who sold his long owned 67 Jaguar E Type Coupe and then bought a Toyota AE87 GTS Corolla is toying with the idea of ditching the GTS and getting a 1st gen Insight. I wish he had kept the E Type.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Came across this yesterday and then found a whole bunch YouTube videos from like minded Cowboy wanderers who live in Prius'. Some of this guy's narration had me chuckling about how optimistic he is overall.