73 3.0 CS - various work to do

speed

Reaction score
Hi guys,

kind of new to this world. Like I said in my presentation, I have some minor projects to perform on brother in law 3.0 CS. I have always perform mechanical work on all my cars, so it s no stress for me

1- when putting the car in storage, I washed it. I noticed water in the trunk, lots of it. When looking at the seal, I saw an homemade seal that is not doing the job.

015_zps30bf3e08.jpg

looks like a standard rectangular neoprene seal

question is: can I get an universal seal and cut it? should I get an OEM seal? and finally, where can I get them?

2- There s a 3 points seat belt for driver. Need to get rid of it and replace with OEM. I took a pic of the passenger one. Is this OEM?

016_zpsbf7b042c.jpg

If so, where can I get them? The same.

Already have some infos for OEM rebuilt seat belt but any inputs would be much appreciated.

3- Need to get rid of this monster tach.

019_zps8880ba0c.jpg

now this is the tricky part. We need this stuff to go. OEM tach is not working. I ll dig in the dash to see what s going on. I ll get back with some more info

4- Some restoration for seat covers. Thoses are leather seat and they are worn out. Is there a place where we can get some replacing material OEM color?

Thx for any inputs guys. This forum looks great

This is the car, and yes you guys talked about it a few months ago. Don't be to hard on it ;)

197330cs_zpsbee4832b.jpg

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

I just had all my gauges out of the car, My Tacho was also not working, My gauge repair man did get it sorted for me, was a few of the electronic components inside that where bung.
Could be the same for you??

I guess you just have to start with the wiring back to the engine / coil etc, if this is all OK and has no effect on making the Tacho work, I guess your going to have to pull the gauge and send it away to be repaired.

Get a new OEM seal from Penske parts or sim, p/n 51715776161 $152 usd

Seat belts look OEM, hard to tell, there was quite a few options

Good luck

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Trunk seal $117 at Tomkinson, don't mess around with universal stuff. Seatbelt is OEM Autoflug, new belts can be made with existing tongue and receiver, use these, Al Erkanli does excellent work. Check with an auto upholstery shop for material otherwise it's World Upholstery or GAHH, lots of posts on these.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
looks nice
not able to understand what had the PO done in the instrument cluster
find original trunk seal, do not replace with neoprene or other stuff
how does it run/drive ?
welcome

arnie

Reaction score
Looks exactly like the car, that was equipped with that strange fuel lid.

If not, sry for my suspicion :oops:. (In that case there's a twin existing with that bloody ugly conversion .....)

If yes, please change this also to the oem version. The wheel arches are also not the best modification imho, but I could stand it somehow in the end if it would be mine. :|

cheers

Ingo

speed

Reaction score
Looks exactly like the car, that was equipped with that strange fuel lid.

If not, sry for my suspicion :oops:. (In that case there's a twin existing with that bloody ugly conversion .....)

If yes, please change this also to the oem version. The wheel arches are also not the best modification imho, but I could stand it somehow in the end if it would be mine. :|

cheers

Ingo

It s the same car. The one with the M88 engine in it. At least, Brother in law and I came to the same conclusion as you guys but we ll start with the easiest mod and progress like that

Fuel lid involves body works and he s not sure if he wants to go there now. The paint job on that car (overall) is great

Thx guys for those quick replies.

speed

Reaction score
looks nice
not able to understand what had the PO done in the instrument cluster
find original trunk seal, do not replace with neoprene or other stuff
how does it run/drive ?
welcome

Don't understand either. Probably some issue with the engine swap.

I took the car for a ride around the block before storage. No chance to see what it got but first impression is good. My only reference to compare was my 4.6 SC mustang as far as HP and TQ goes. I don't know if those M88 engine were like that from the dealer in the M6 but this one is real smooth and easy to drive at low RPM. Over 4K, it s more brutal, loud and need more attention from the driver.

Overall, hard to tell since everything on that car is not OEM (suspension, exhaust, brake, engine)

Mike Goble

Reaction score
OEM tach is not working. I ll dig in the dash to see what s going on. I ll get back with some more info

Do you have an electronic ignition and a tach designed for a Kettering system? I use a points triggered MSD system in my Bavarious and had to use a tach adapter to get the tach to work.

speed

Reaction score
just finished to deal with Al for the seat belt. Needed front and rear driver side.

What an excellent service he gave me. Now waiting for parts to come in.

Still haven't dig in for the tach. Will remove the monster tach for sure. Still lookin to reactivate the OEM or replace it with a VDO in dash

I ll keep you update

speed

Reaction score
hey guys

seat belts came in 2 days ago. I installed them today. Direct fit. Great result

While removing passenger rear seat to have a look at the seat belt installation, surprise!!!! driver side rear seat belt was partially hiding there.

Well we have spare parts. :razz:

I also found some mice residue beneath the rear seats :x. No trace of mice but there was some at some time. Damn

As for the tach (VDO comp eliminator), I removed it completely and spotted the connections

Question is:

Obviously, the in dash tach is OEM. Is the ignition type on 73 3.0 is the same as a M88 ? If so I ll just replug the OEM using the wiring from the tach I removed

Thx for any responses

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Trunk seal

Speed, you don't have to mess around with used trunk seals- email Ben at La Jolla Ind. He seems to have them in stock. I got two from him just recently, one for my coupe, one for a friend. I think around 100.00 plus a little, I don't have the receipt handy. BTW, super car, enjoy- where are you located, it helps to list it as sometimes there are locals with spare parts.

speed

Reaction score
Speed, you don't have to mess around with used trunk seals- email Ben at La Jolla Ind. He seems to have them in stock. I got two from him just recently, one for my coupe, one for a friend. I think around 100.00 plus a little, I don't have the receipt handy. BTW, super car, enjoy- where are you located, it helps to list it as sometimes there are locals with spare parts.

thx

I m a bit far from you guys, living in Montreal Canada. :lol:

I ll get a new seal for sure.

speed

Reaction score
As far as the tach is concern,

an another option would be getting a new in dash tach, same size that will work with an electronic style ignition

I tought about VDO gauges but don't know if they have same size