73 coupe

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yup, exactly my point. Fly out and inspect for yourself. In my cases, don't make me waste my day so that a shop can write down a laundry list of common things with 40 year old cars that haven't been restored just for the pipe dream buyer to get scared about. Now if a buyer wants someone to go look at the car at my home that's fine no problem with that.

Ok - but it's not exactly practical to fly out to see every potential purchase. It is not easy finding a good E9. Ideally it should be inspected by someone who knows these cars. I agree that taking these to a regular shop is a waste of everyone's time.

LTIII

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just thought I would weigh in on this conversation since I am the one who asked Chris (Ohmess) to look at the car for me. It also just occurred to me that I really should come out of the shadows and introduce myself, since I have been lurking on this forum and benefitting from your collective wisdom for the past year or so.

I am new to the e9 world, but not new to classic cars. I'm primarily a Porsche guy - but don't hold that against me! ;) I have also gone through a "British phase" with MG's and Triumphs. I have been in and out of many classic cars over the years, and have always had one or two as time, space and money would allow. I currently have a couple of older 911's including a backdate project. With my kids all out of college, I have the means to pursue some of the other marques that I have always admired. I recently added a 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV to my little "collection". The point is, I am not a newbie to the world of buying and selling classic cars, and I have come across all kinds of buyers and sellers throughout the years.

In the spirit of "giving back" and contributing to this forum, I thought I would share what I know about this car:

When I saw the eBay listing, I called and spoke with the seller. He struck me as just another "car guy" like me. In fact his primary interest is older Porsches as well, so we had something in common and had a very pleasant conversation. He did not know much about the e9 (it was the first one he has owned) but, he said the car had been "restored" about 10 years ago. When I asked him I asked if he had any details on what was involved with the restoration, he said he thought he had some invoices he could send me. He sent me several pages of detailed invoices of work that was done in 2002. It included $2500 in upholstery work, $6700 in body work and paint, and R&R engine and transmission as a ton of miscellaneous odds and ends for $14K. All of which adds up to a lot of money in 2002.

This was ticking a lot of boxes for me. I like the color combo, it seems like a solid car with some serious work having been done, and the price is within my budget. So, I'm really interested and can feel my check-writing hand start to quiver. But, since Chris (Ohmess) graciously offered to take a look at the car, I figured I would take him up on it. When I called the seller to set something up, that's when things really went south. He did not have time to f*** around with someone who pretended to know about these cars, etc. I pointed out that Chris was local and would simply stop by to take a quick look at the car to be my eyes. He went on to say that he owns at least a dozen cars and doesn't have time for this BS. I was stunned. When I pointed out that his listing and pictures didn't reflect a lot of detail, and that I would just like someone just to lay eyes on it, he became even bigger dbag (as Stevehose put it). Ultimately he said that if I did not trust him that I shouldn't buy the car...in fact, if he might as well just keep the car himself. And if I needed more detail I should just enlarge the pictures that he provided. Seriously??? Again, I was stunned. I don't know if he was having a bad day or what the deal was.

In any case, I am really disappointed. As I mentioned it really ticks a lot of the boxes on my wish list.

So, I am now out of the shadows...and looking for a nice e9. I will post a separate WTB with some additional details. Thanks!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Such a shame. What an asshole. Hope no one buys it.

When I sell, I am motivated and I understand with buyers far away, they need more information.

Ridiculous.

Good luck! We'll find you a good car.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Guys, I live about 8 miles from the seller and was offering to stop at his home Friday evening or Saturday. If you are selling a car, you should expect that you need to set aside some weekend time to show it to a handful of people before it sells.

Posting selected pictures is not good enough. Folks looking for a good e9 are going to expect to see "money shots" -- pictures of the areas of the car that reveal whether the car is rusty. If you don't post those pictures, you are going to be asked about this. It does no good to respond that the car was restored somewhere along the line; whether the car is rusty now needs to be addressed. And rust (or lack thereof) is one of the biggest determinants of what an e9 is worth.

Spouting off about how much you spent on the car recently and vague references to a restoration are not impressive either. What was done, was it done by someone who knows what they are doing, were the right parts used and was it done properly? As Jay Leno says, there is a difference between a car that has been restored and a car that has been sorted.

And I also think it is not unreasonable to ask a seller to allow one of us to look at the car before a potential buyer invests in a plane ticket. Given that these cars are more than 40 years old, most of the guys with working knowledge of them are not available. We here are a large portion of the knowledge base on the e9.

bschmergel

Reaction score
Guys, I live about 8 miles from the seller and was offering to stop at his home Friday evening or Saturday. If you are selling a car, you should expect that you need to set aside some weekend time to show it to a handful of people before it sells.

Posting selected pictures is not good enough. Folks looking for a good e9 are going to expect to see "money shots" -- pictures of the areas of the car that reveal whether the car is rusty. If you don't post those pictures, you are going to be asked about this. It does no good to respond that the car was restored somewhere along the line; whether the car is rusty now needs to be addressed. And rust (or lack thereof) is one of the biggest determinants of what an e9 is worth.

Spouting off about how much you spent on the car recently and vague references to a restoration are not impressive either. What was done, was it done by someone who knows what they are doing, were the right parts used and was it done properly? As Jay Leno says, there is a difference between a car that has been restored and a car that has been sorted.

And I also think it is not unreasonable to ask a seller to allow one of us to look at the car before a potential buyer invests in a plane ticket. Given that these cars are more than 40 years old, most of the guys with working knowledge of them are not available. We here are a large portion of the knowledge base on the e9.

bschmergel

Reaction score
Hello,

I am the owner of the car. I will ignore the personal insults and apologize for not responding sooner, as my weekends are consumed volunteering at the local hospital.

In regards to the car it's a very nice driver car that I have spent thousands of dollars sorting the car and enjoying. I have nothing to hide and want someone to get a nice car and feel good. I love the car, but decided if I can find a good home for it I would let it go but happy to keep it too!

As you guys can appreciate, the car is on EBay and there are plenty of tire kickers. Any serious buyers are welcome to come look at the car. The fellow above I was very open and sent him documentation and encouraged him to come look for himself, and not to rely on anyone else's eyes but his own. If we were able to strike a deal a ppi would be the final step. I am very confident in the car.

I just wanted to clear up any confusion and I welcome anyone's call. A famous judge told me there is 3 sides to every story....his, hers, and the truth.

Have a great weekend and I welcome your call.

bschmergel

Reaction score
Hello,

I am the owner of the car. I will ignore the personal insults and apologize for not responding sooner, as my weekends are consumed volunteering at the local hospital.

In regards to the car it's a very nice driver car that I have spent thousands of dollars sorting the car and enjoying. I have nothing to hide and want someone to get a nice car and feel good. I love the car, but decided if I can find a good home for it I would let it go but happy to keep it too!

As you guys can appreciate, the car is on EBay and there are plenty of tire kickers. Any serious buyers are welcome to come look at the car. The fellow above I was very open and sent him documentation and encouraged him to come look for himself, and not to rely on anyone else's eyes but his own. If we were able to strike a deal a ppi would be the final step. I am very confident in the car.

I just wanted to clear up any confusion and I welcome anyone's call. A famous judge told me there is 3 sides to every story....his, hers, and the truth.

Have a great weekend and I welcome your call.
One more thought, I am happy to pay anyone's plane ticket if I misrepresent the condition or quality of the car.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
One more thought, I am happy to pay anyone's plane ticket if I misrepresent the condition or quality of the car.

The stars have aligned. You have a very interested buyer with cash and movtivation. You have an expert down the street (whether you agree or not, Chris is an expert). Let him come down and take a look. Chris hasn't thrown any insults.

restart

Reaction score
I have listed some cars in kijiji and CL and online etc. With this world wide spider web one get a lot of enquiries from people who know people or want to help you sell parts. Tuff to sort the wheat from the chaff.

restart

Reaction score
Ps, I think I may have been looking at a p car of yours on eBay.
I I am thinking about listing a car on eBay. Is it true It's $250 for any car over $2000. Does the bay offer any Carfax for old cars.
Any feedback on how selling a car on the bay?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am just now catching up with the new developments here. I am traveling and can no longer offer to look at this car.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ps, I think I may have been looking at a p car of yours on eBay.
I I am thinking about listing a car on eBay. Is it true It's $250 for any car over $2000. Does the bay offer any Carfax for old cars.
Any feedback on how selling a car on the bay?
Car fax is worthless in my opinion. It is a collection of what has been reported to carfax. one should not rely on carfax as complete history of the car. Specially with classic cars....

Cheers!