A new E9 member, rebirth of a 40 years old storage 3.0 csi

fatjean

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Vince, 28, from France, student,
My grand father sold me this beautiful 3.0 CSI 5 years ago. first project was to just start the car but more i take things apart, and more i see big issues (picture below). Finally, i decided to do some paint job and a big restoration project. I'd love to take it out once a week or more. like a "daily" car.

Took my time to dissasemble it, i used to work on old minis but i have to say bmw is another level, good quality car.
I always dream take my grand dad out for a ride in this beauty but he passed away last year... difficult moment for me, and i need some time to regain motivation... but this is it ! it is time to rebirth the beast !

first start last month, promissing !!! paint job incoming... maybe september !

thanks to this forum, i had some good advice and i think it is time for me to say "thank you" to all of you, who, without knowing it, save me a lot of time, or help me...
Thanks again. Thank you so much.

Trying to search some good alpina 16" rims repro like "coupe king" alloy rim, in 7 and 8J. maybe someone here have some for sale...
anyway thanks again for your help, update will come asap...

IMG_0890.jpeg
IMG_0910.jpeg

IMG_6415.jpeg

IMG_4824.jpeg

Vincent

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello Vincent! Nice to meet you! I bought my coupe twelve years ago and the very first problem I needed to solve was that same plugged up coolant passage, just like yours. And yes, the housing broke off in the hose just like that. The replacement I found was from an E28 I believe.

It took a few years of commuting with it and then taking off the road to work on it before it became as reliable as my other cars, but it did. Rebuilding the fuel system is a terrific idea. I bet your brake calipers want attention too after all that time sitting!

fatjean

Reaction score
Hello Mr blinking
Thanks for your answer

Was pretty surprised when I saw that coolant plug
Don’t know exactly what it is, certainly a mix of aluminium oxyde and some coolant « Cristal »

I did some « terrific » job as you said
New fuel lines , new fuel tank , new pump, new brakes, brake line check with pressure and clean , new silicon brake fluid, new master cylinder brake and clutch etc …
New injectors , new valves and springs etc…

Hope it will be as reliable as yours one day !! Had some trouble with electronics ?

If someone also sell some electric front windows …

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Vince & welcome to the discussion!

Great picture of your grandfathers (now your) coupe in the garage with all the dust from lack of use! It is great that you have his prized BMW and will have lots of time to enjoy it.

fatjean

Reaction score
Hi Vince & welcome to the discussion!

Great picture of your grandfathers (now your) coupe in the garage with all the dust from lack of use! It is great that you have his prized BMW and will have lots of time to enjoy it.
Hi Boonies ! thanks for your message ! I hope so ! some work left but worth it !! maybe first ride in october ... who knows !

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Hi Vince,,good luck with your csi project. This company sells the Alpina rerpro rims which I believe are good quality ....you can by a "staggered" set too .http://www.alfagiuliashop.eu/

fatjean

Reaction score
Yes, and impossible to find the correct design in Europe
I think I have to take some coupe king rims but with taxes, they are not very cheap
If someone have a set for sale, it will be very nice
Still searching in France but pretty rare here