Advice on back axle removal

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am trying to remove the back axle of my csi to change the dampers, springs, all the bushes and also do some cleaning of the bodywork prior to a nice bit of painting and waxoil. I may also change the drive shaft boots and degrease while I am at it.
I have spent some time trying to work out the best sequence eg
crack all the drive shaft bolts prior to removal? Can that be done when they are off the car, ie how to lock it?
If I remove the dampers will the weight of the axle and spring force damage the drive shafts when I jack it up?
Where to support the car and also where to raise and lower it?

Has any one got an idiots guide to the easiest way to get this apart safely? I only have a standard domestic garage with trolley jacks etc, no 4 post lift etc.

Thanks
C

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does this sound correct?

DeQ did a great job on drive shaft rebuild description, thank you

Does this sound like the correct approach to get the back axle off?
Jack up on trailing arms, remove wheel, Losen main drive shaft nut on each hub, clamp springs with several strong cable ties / spring clamps, replace wheels.
Lower car with wooden block under wheels to get ground clearance.
Undo top damper nuts
Losen drive shaft Allen bolts
Remove prop shaft
Undo bolts that attach subframe to car via rubber mount, place trolley jack under differential
Raise car again, jacking from sills, hoping that subframe stays on floor and car rises away.
Disassemble subframe components remote from car.

Does this sound like a sensible approach to get the axle off? All advice considered.

Thanks
C

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I dropped the whole subframe onto a transmission jack first then disassembled the axles etc. after that, much easier to access the bolts and do the work. Then you can replace all those bushings, clean and repaint the frame while you're at it. You can even do the rear wheel bearings if you dare...I did the whole schlameel:

bushings (4 small and 2 large)
rebuild halfshafts
rear bearings
repaint subframe and differential
new parking brake shoes
new diff support (and rust proof up in that cavity)

Last edited:

Ian C

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I have to do my work on the ground I did mine by lifting,(jack under diff with wooden block) supporting under subframe rubber mounts, removing half shafts and drive shaft to diff,remove brake lines put a jack under trailing arm, remove damper top nut, lower the trailing arm, remove spring, remove trailing arms, support body under sill jack points, lower subframe with jack under diff.
I'm sure your method would work, but many are the ways to skin a cat.