Audio tweeter placement

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am assembling an audio system with a period head unit, a bluetooth amp, two speakers in the rear deck and two in the footwells. The front footwell speakers have separate 2-3/4" tweeters which optimally should be placed higher for clean separation.

I would be interested in where others have located tweeters in a similar installation.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DQ has recently done a stealth installation of speakers... Have you seen his thread?

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tweeters in comparison to mid/low tones should be closer to heads of driver/passenger for best effectiveness. Also any obstacles are limiting the quality/band of the sound in higher frequencies.

Nice would be to mount then inside air vents but it would be "a task".
Using center mount would ruin space effect tweeters build.
New tweeters are efficient enough to be really small but again specific filter (L-C) is needs to be hidden somewhere...

Maybe Fiero like approach:
1713470167433.png

or Mazda Miata MX-5 (I would mount smaller taking into account I can hit them back in some specific situations). ;-)
1713470454832.png

Some time period E3/E9 headrests looks to be possibly nicely reworked to carry speakers in...
1713470362515.png

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, i did that. i removed the outer panel - took the vinyl out of it and cut a piece of black perforated metal to fit. removed the ash tray portion and mounted the tweeter ... then put the cover back on.

bmw e9 - ashtray tweeter 2.jpg

bmw e9 - ashtray tweeter 4.jpg

here's another idea that i saw on the forum a while back - 2 tweeters in the center speaker panel
in dash tweeter.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i removed the outer panel - took the vinyl out of it and cut a piece of black perforated metal to fit. removed the ash tray portion and mounted the tweeter ... then put the cover back on.
I may have to do this - what brand speaker did you use for the ash tray, and how is it wired - with another pair of woofers or?

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Column bar can also be slide into the map pocket (or replace it). Not only tweeters can be located there than.

Of course too heavy audio "stuff" can weaken the door card's mountings.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Right, he shared them with me on WhatsApp, not here.

DQ, care to share your work?
The clever work was modern speakers with tweeters with no visual impact on the center speaker grille...

@Arde

yes ! it is here !!!!

@deQuincey I too am interested in another of your clever mods. Please share.

my pleasure
always interested in comments, check and tell

I am assembling an audio system with a period head unit, a bluetooth amp, two speakers in the rear deck and two in the footwells. The front footwell speakers have separate 2-3/4" tweeters which optimally should be placed higher for clean separation.

I would be interested in where others have located tweeters in a similar installation.

i have not separated tweeters

used 2 way speakers,

be careful with impedance

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@Arde

yes ! it is here !!!!

my pleasure
always interested in comments, check and tell

i have not separated tweeters

used 2 way speakers,

be careful with impedance

I appreciate your input here.

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
These cars are tricky for acoustics. I’ve tried a few configurations. Pretty early on I moved my tweeters onto little stands which allow them to peek up over the dashboard rail.

IMG_0237.jpeg

I like the sound stage I get from them.

I experimented with putting them below the rail and facing forward so the sound reflected off the wood. That hid them pretty well but the clarity wasn’t very good. Maybe I just executed it poorly?

I have had various 5.25” drivers on each side in the footwell for most of the last decade. The mid bass wasn’t excellent and there seemed to be a kind of metallic standing wave that would pop in the vocals at (maybe?) the 1khz range. I’d like to know if you’re having success with yours.

I recently added 6.5” drivers to the doors and it has really made a difference. I’m not sure how I’ll reupholster the door cards to accommodate the speakers, particularly the map pockets, but I’ll figure something out that doesn’t compromise the aesthetics too bad. I didn’t have to cut any metal out of the doors to do it at least.

Lastly I have a 10” subwoofer in a custom, properly-sized box in the center of the rear parcel shelf and the bass is terrific. (I don’t have rear speakers back there.) All of the above with a head unit that can do a little bit of time alignment has ended up being good enough. If the vocals and bass guitars are centered and natural sounding I’m a happy guy.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
These cars are tricky for acoustics. I’ve tried a few configurations. Pretty early on I moved my tweeters onto little stands which allow them to peek up over the dashboard rail.

View attachment 180967

I like the sound stage I get from them.

I experimented with putting them below the rail and facing forward so the sound reflected off the wood. That hid them pretty well but the clarity wasn’t very good. Maybe I just executed it poorly?

I have had various 5.25” drivers on each side in the footwell for most of the last decade. The mid bass wasn’t excellent and there seemed to be a kind of metallic standing wave that would pop in the vocals at (maybe?) the 1khz range. I’d like to know if you’re having success with yours.

I recently added 6.5” drivers to the doors and it has really made a difference. I’m not sure how I’ll reupholster the door cards to accommodate the speakers, particularly the map pockets, but I’ll figure something out that doesn’t compromise the aesthetics too bad. I didn’t have to cut any metal out of the doors to do it at least.

Lastly I have a 10” subwoofer in a custom, properly-sized box in the center of the rear parcel shelf and the bass is terrific. (I don’t have rear speakers back there.) All of the above with a head unit that can do a little bit of time alignment has ended up being good enough. If the vocals and bass guitars are centered and natural sounding I’m a happy guy.

I thought about this placement as well, as it is probably the best spot that is reasonably practical.

I am planning to use Focal ES100K component 4" drivers footwell mounted and 2.75" tweeters with Focal EC165k 6.5" in the rear deck. Amp is a Sony XM-GS6DSP 6/5 channel class-D bluetooth. Period head unit (not yet purchased).

Thank you for sharing your experience and images.

Breiti

Reaction score
I don't understand, why you guys need tweeters and any audio stuff as well.

Everytime I drive my classic, I enjoy the smell, the noise, the exhaust sound, the aspiration sound....

Why should I cover that with "modern music" ?
If I like to listen music, I hear it as my dad hear it when he drove such cars when he was young. The squeaking, rasping mono.:cool:

Maybe you need 1 of 3 muffler a straightpipe? o_O

B.t.w. respect top the solution from @rsporsche with the speaker in the ashtray. :love:

Breiti

Last edited:

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Everytime I drive my classic, I enjoy the smell, the noise, the exhaust sound, the aspiration sound....

If I like to listen music, I hear it as my dad hear it when he drove such cars when he was young. The squeaking, rasping mono.:cool:

B.t.w. respect top the solution from @rsporsche with the speaker in the ashtray. :love:

Breiti

I see your point. I deleted the radio from my 356 as one needs to pay serious attention to the sound of the engine at all times.

In my opinion, a nice sound system seems to suit these cars, especially when driving longer trips.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Breiti
I am with you. My E9 has the original radio and speaker (mono) that barely works and the M30 sounds very nice.
The extreme is the Fulvia, it came with no radio and in this video you may hear why I am not adding one. Last week in Palo Alto...

Same with air conditioning...