Avoided an Accident

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Coming home alone midday doing the speed limit on a 4 lane road with bushes separating the lanes and a left turn lanes at the intersection. I had the green light and was in the inside lane. I’m headed into a four way signal controlled intersection i was about 40 ft from the cross walk when I noticed the car that was stopped at the right decided to inter the intersection. It happened so fast … she was going for it, She went right in my space. I had two choices T bone her or swerve hard left which I did. I I turned hard left then back straight, I drove over the opposite left turn lane and stopped in the turn lane… Wow I thought that was nuts. She knowing she was in the wrong backed up into her place that she came from. I flipped a Ue and pulled up next to her to see if she was OK. Her light turned green and she was off… and if you know me… it was on.
I followed he through the neighborhood until she got to her work place.From there the local Police handled it.

All I can say is watch out for bad drivers. Luckily I was in my x3 with those big ol’ fat tires
Be safe out there

As the kids say … Peace out

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I experienced a somewhat similar situation about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to avoid it and the insurance company deemed my daily driver a total loss. The damage was really not bad - just a lot of cosmetic and some expensive plastic bits under the hood. Because it is an older car, the "actual cash value" they use wasn't enough for the repairs to quickly exceed. I am bucking the system and fixing the car and will keep driving it for a few more years. Glad you avoided incident.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Barry, regarding Kris' question. I assume you had dash footage or something for the local police to be involved. Did they issue a ticket, or like most drivers these days did they issue her what she really needs, a life-timie suspension of her "driving privilidges"?

My driving mode the last 10 years: trust no one, no stop/yield sign, no red/green light, turn signal(a running joke). I assume the idiot behind the wheel is texting, phoneing, drunk, high, all of the above. The only place I feel completely safe is on the track. I have at least one terrifying experience for each hour of driving. Does not matter where.

Stephen, not surprised at all your insurance company totalled your DD. They are making so much money they don't want to be bothered with the small stuff. I hear your story about once a month.

It truly is "hell on wheels out there."

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Good morning
I do not have a camera in the X3 and no city camera at the intersection.

I was mostly upset because there is a school around the corner and if they were kids there it would have been a different decision in the moment.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Glad there wasn't any impact, Barry. In any vehicle with air bags, if & when they deploy in conjunction, the seatbelts retract too. Even if the it is being driven off the lot & this happens. Insurance companies will consider the vehicle a total loss. The cost of all the sensors, air bags, set belts is easily $12K, plus the bodywork, paint & interior damage.

I experience all this first hand in Bethel Park, PA on January 2nd, 2014, on my way to dinner with friends in our 201K mile 2004 E83 X3. I was hit by a distracted contractor in a Chevy Savanna Van who made a left turn into my driver side fender. He pushed the front several feet to the right moving the front strut assembly 6 inches right, breaking the upper strut brace buckling the hood compressing the radiator, broke the tie rod & the front sway-bar mount & cracking the oil pan. The police ticketed the contractor for failure to yield my right of way. The kicker was, I had just filled up.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Coming home alone midday doing the speed limit on a 4 lane road with bushes separating the lanes and a left turn lanes at the intersection. I had the green light and was in the inside lane. I’m headed into a four way signal controlled intersection i was about 40 ft from the cross walk when I noticed the car that was stopped at the right decided to inter the intersection. It happened so fast … she was going for it, She went right in my space. I had two choices T bone her or swerve hard left which I did. I I turned hard left then back straight, I drove over the opposite left turn lane and stopped in the turn lane… Wow I thought that was nuts. She knowing she was in the wrong backed up into her place that she came from. I flipped a Ue and pulled up next to her to see if she was OK. Her light turned green and she was off… and if you know me… it was on.
I followed he through the neighborhood until she got to her work place.From there the local Police handled it.

All I can say is watch out for bad drivers. Luckily I was in my x3 with those big ol’ fat tires
Be safe out there

As the kids say … Peace out
I recently installed a dash cam on my Porsche Cayenne diesel, my daily driver. Under $100. It gives you a lot of satisfaction, and if you’re in the wrong, you can delete it.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll bite...

Driving my Silverado last week on wet roads a Civic pulled out in front of me on a two lane road with parked cars all along both sides. The car was just THERE with no warning. I slammed on the brakes and swerved/slid right and had that feeling you get when you know you're going to hit. They stopped just soon enough for me miss there front end by six inches.

Brought back memories of my circle track days. I also have a dashcam so I had a witness if I needed it.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Close call. Good reaction!
Reminds of me Chuck Norris. He was once in a car accident and broke both of his legs. He still managed to walk it off. Chuck Norris has no dashboard camera, before an accident he pulls his iPhone, puts the camera in video mode, and records the whole thing. Then he fixes the bent metal with a roundhouse kick. But then again Chuck Norris can clap with one hand so this may not work for the rest of us.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
as Chuck was able to slam the revolving door, nothing surprises me. ;-)

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am finding many drivers think stoping at a four way stop is enough, not understanding right of way. When I “politely” honk the reaction I get is the finger or they act like “hey I stopped” what is the issue. Another issue I see is drivers drifting to right on the freeway. I assume they are texting but when I come along side them, both hands on the wheel in a terrified death grip.