BMW Archive

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I received this reply from Andreas regarding my request for build dates:

"Regarding the production and delivery data I have to tell you that we can give this data only to the respective owners of the cars. With prices for the E9 Coupés rising during the last years, there is quite an incentive for people to use this information in let’s say not quite honest ways. Of course we have no problem if someone gives his car’s data in a register and publish it on the internet – it’s their car after all – but they will have to ask themselves then."

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So the ones with dishonest intentions only have to say they own the car because BMW doesn't verify.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure how this data is used dishonestly. Then again, I don't live in the U.K. :D. If someone is executing a VIN swap they need metal fabrication skills, plus a known VIN to swap. The VIN range is public knowledge. I suppose they could keep emailing BMW until they find a VIN with matching original color and year, then hope it isn't in the marketplace already.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andreas and Julia have been providing dates to me for years, it's sad it has come to this. Following in the footsteps of BMW Classic that won't make needed parts or makes them incorrectly.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The thing that makes no sense is that prospective buyers are the target demographic for this type of information. I suppose you can ask the selller to submit.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If imported by BMWNA in 75 or later RealOEM gives birth month I believe.

Edit: just checked, birth date not there for a 76 3.0Si

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I suppose from BMW's perspective, a glossy brochure announcing a classic car program and touting your support for vintage car owners creates a positive impression, at least until we vintage car owners figure out that BMW doesn't really intend to evaluate how things are working now and improve them.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RealOEM gives me a date of May '74 for the '74 I have with a vin ending in 278. Probably fairly accurate I'd think, based on the total number of e9's brought in that year.