BMW NA's new ad for the Super Bowl Game

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is the new ad developed for BMW N.A. for this years superbowl. I can't image what the conversation is in the executive offices at BMW -that they would green light this as a final product. I just don't understand who or what they are going after. That they command a salary coming up with this as content is shameful. Undergraduate college film students, on a lunch break, could do better.

Here it is:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/...in’-like-walken-during-this-year’s-super-bowl

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
well,
it is an advert…they try to buy new cars
think that many of the possibilities are not allowed to be used: pets, women, people of different races, red flowers, sea water, babies, coffee or explosives
enithing that could be potentially offensive
probably they thought that Chris Walken was the least worse idea
i Don t envy them…

1707176302880.jpeg

i would have loved to be around this one giving green light to this masterpiece

times have changed

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I dunno, just watched King of New York couple of nights ago. 34 year old movie. Walken was great. No BMW in sight. Commercial does nothing for me, just like to watch C.W. Another favourite of his movies is "Stand Up Guys" with Al Pacino and Alan Arkin. This scene shows the classic Walken dance moves. ;) Kick ass or chew gum :

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well,
it is an advert…they try to buy new cars
think that many of the possibilities are not allowed to be used: pets, women, people of different races, red flowers, sea water, babies, coffee or explosives
enithing that could be potentially offensive
probably they thought that Chris Walken was the least worse idea
i Don t envy them…

View attachment 176662

i would have loved to be around this one giving green light to this masterpiece

times have changed
When you are a highly paid marketing executive at BMW and the best you come up with is Chris Walken was the least worse idea - It's probably time to go work for GM or Chrysler.

Purely in the pursuit of historical accuracy, here is the companion advertisement (to the above image) that Aston Martin ran in the 1990's. I believe this was for the UK market.

Attachments

• am ad.JPG
    am ad.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 110

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The commercial fails to show anything remotely energetic, and yet somehow BMW thinks it necessary to warn potential customers of the dangers of driving a modern BMW on a residential street in Southern California with the following: "Professional Drive on Closed Course. Do Not Attempt."

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Aside from BMW, Walken, IMHO is just is just too cool. This ad has really no facts, it plays on personalities and could sell tons of crap. I like it.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I dunno, just watched King of New York couple of nights ago. 34 year old movie. Walken was great. No BMW in sight. Commercial does nothing for me, just like to watch C.W. Another favourite of his movies is "Stand Up Guys" with Al Pacino and Alan Arkin. This scene shows the classic Walken dance moves. ;) Kick ass or chew gum :

In that scene Walken is quoting Roddy Piper in John Carpenter's "They Live"

Guess BMW couldn't use Fatboy Slim's song "Weapon of Choice" the series of commercials though the 3rd one ends with a reference to it.

His cameo parts in 7 Psychos "Hands Up" & Pulp Fiction "The Watch" in essence sum up his film career. His appearances on SNL as "The Continental" & "More Cowbell" are funny just because of Walken's talking cadence & seemingly random word & syllable inflections, which is easy to imitate.

"Andrew Wilson is well aware that he is not in the target demographic of Electric Vehicle Marketing" - Andrew Wilson

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well. My apologies. That turned into a cultural learning moment for me. I am the outlier here. I had no idea just how popular Christopher Walken is. (Above comments) And in this mornings NY Times -rating the BMW ad 'the best of the Super Bowl'. It is one more sign of aging and that I am out of touch. I'll be more careful in the future bringing up such topics.

Attachments

• bmw as best of.JPG
    bmw as best of.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 55

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
didn't love it. i like Walken, but not my favorite. sentimental favorite was the Bud commercial (not a fan of Bud as a beer)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On an unrelated note, this thread is the only one on this forum I can’t read on my Mac/Firefox browser. “Page Could Not Be Loaded”. All others fine. Strange.

Works fine on Mac Safari and iPhone.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well. My apologies. That turned into a cultural learning moment for me. I am the outlier here. I had no idea just how popular Christopher Walken is. (Above comments) And in this mornings NY Times -rating the BMW ad 'the best of the Super Bowl'. It is one more sign of aging and that I am out of touch. I'll be more careful in the future bringing up such topics.
My wife calls it "the age of irrelevance". I reached it (proudly) some time ago ;)