California speed governor Bill

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally when passing or especially when on my motorcycle passing, I find speed and acceleration offers me a degree of safety. I often gun it at stop lights when it goes Green, get up to speed fast then am no where near any cars while motoring at the speed limit.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting. I tell my wife that I drive fast to minimize the time spent on the road, and thus the chances that somebody will hit me. Tell the senator so far it worked for me.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
in Atlanta, taking off quickly will put you in the crosshairs of the group of people running the red light in the other direction. the problem is, they are going to do it or they are going to get hit from behind ... from the other car trying to make it thru.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
in Atlanta, taking off quickly will put you in the crosshairs of the group of people running the red light in the other direction. the problem is, they are going to do it or they are going to get hit from behind ... from the other car trying to make it thru.
When I do my sprint across the line, it is usually at pretty busy times. I wait at the line . And only leave when I have looked every which way more than once. Even a lowly 650 does the quarter mile in 12 seconds , so if you launch, you are across the intersection quickly. Hard to believe but in Toronto this is for safety reasons. Being in amongst the pack of cell phone users is never comforting. Being on high alert offense feels safer generally. I don’t do the multi lane highways unless I absolutely have to.
Northern Ontario is the place you want to ride ….unless you see this sign.

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpeg
    IMG_0890.jpeg
    835.1 KB · Views: 27

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Trust no one. Trust no sign or light. I watch the front wheels of cars coming in from my left or right when I have the right of way and they have a stop sign. A yield sign - yeah, they expect me to yield to them; they turn in front of me. And they are coming in at speed then braking hard the last 10 seconds. Happens every day. I wave people through or past when I have the right of way. Can't trust them to bolt and hit me. At least one tail gater per 20 minutes of driving.

There are too many people driving with a death wish.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As one who is hyper aware of what is constantly happening around me as I drive. Driving to the Southeast Sharkfest in Chattanooga Tennessee, has given me great pause about how many distracted drivers I saw on that trip.

I love watching car crash videos on YouTube as most are red light runners & sheer stupidity.

Stay safe out there.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I do my sprint across the line, it is usually at pretty busy times. I wait at the line . And only leave when I have looked every which way more than once. Even a lowly 650 does the quarter mile in 12 seconds , so if you launch, you are across the intersection quickly. Hard to believe but in Toronto this is for safety reasons. Being in amongst the pack of cell phone users is never comforting. Being on high alert offense feels safer generally. I don’t do the multi lane highways unless I absolutely have to.
Northern Ontario is the place you want to ride ….unless you see this sign.
I'm reminded of the moose crossing signs up in Maine. I have a replica of one on my tool box.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm reminded of the moose crossing signs up in Maine. I have a replica of one on my tool box.

I have a delightfully funny sign from Jackson Wyoming “Bears love people, they taste like chicken”

I have a faux painting from Cracker Barrel of a Rooster driving a car with his family & looking at the speed limit sign…speeding “BeCAUSE”

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
35mph in 25mph zone isn't cool. 75mph in 65mph zone. Eh. It would make more sense as a percentage over the limit but that would be too complicated for most.

"Getting worse" is picking and choosing data. It's way safer nowadays by population or vehicles on the road.

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I consistently drive about 75 k miles per year between my f250, classic cars, and my e91 daily wagon. The roads have become increasingly dangerous in the past few years. It’s especially concerning how people are blatantly disregarding all of the standard road rules. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve traveled in excess of the speed limit. However, I find myself driving around the outer rings of large cities feeling as if I’m training for a part in a Mad Max film. I’ve actually never had an accident, managed to avoid several. But the level of insane close passing, excessive speeding and complete lack of consideration has reached new levels with the passing of Covid. As such, I’ll be flying myself to as many places as I can. I’ll take my chances in a 1964 Mooney M20 E at 7500 ft doing nearly 200 mph on a single 4 cylinder engine getting nearly 20 mpg. As much as most of us are conscientious drivers, it’s the other, greater majority, we need to worry about. Stay safe, vigilant, observant, and defensive on the road.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Northern California drivers are still polite and conservative in their driving, I think.

As for flying instead of driving, I took an 8 hour flight on a 737 Max 9, window seat row 26, one week after the Alaska mishap. I showed the lady next to me the article showing the door plugs are on row 26. Told her my 210 lbs would keep her safe from flying out the plane. It worked.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Northern California drivers are still polite and conservative in their driving, I think.

As for flying instead of driving, I took an 8 hour flight on a 737 Max 9, window seat row 26, one week after the Alaska mishap. I showed the lady next to me the article showing the door plugs are on row 26. Told her my 210 lbs would keep her safe from flying out the plane. It worked.
So your nickname is "Door plug" now?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nope, door plugs are bolted from the outside. I am mounted from the inside, therefore I am "Emergency Door".
I think if the plug blew out you would be the new plug. Thats noble of you.