Can air filter cause engine to overheat at idle

m73

Reaction score
I just installed a new Mann air filter on my Csi -- it looked really old and the box had a bit of mold on it.....No big deal to me but does an older filter (NOS I guess) contribute to overheating at idle....?

I am most likely going to re-fresh the thermostat and coolant -- thoughts?

TIA,

Mo

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just to try the perspective DQ shared with me, if the engine is carb'ed, the carb operation is air controlled, and the fuel delivery will just adjust to the air flow. So a dirty air filter may restrict the airflow, but the mixture will not be leaner or richer, so the thermals should be the same as with a clean filter.

For the CSi in question the MAF operates downstream of the air filter, so it would be reporting the correct amount of air, and the computer would control the amount of fuel based on that, and on the O2 sensors.

So, in principle, air filter flow should not affect engine thermals, but this is just a superficial take on the question.

m73

Reaction score
Fan clutch.
I think I will be renewing my thermostat soon -- hopefully that is the real problem....Just found it odd I popped in the filter and my needle shot up on idle.

Oh well...she is a 50 year old car now :)

-M

tochi

Reaction score
I just installed a new Mann air filter on my Csi -- it looked really old and the box had a bit of mold on it.....No big deal to me but does an older filter (NOS I guess) contribute to overheating at idle....?
I am most likely going to re-fresh the thermostat and coolant -- thoughts?

TIA,
Mo
How did you determine that the engine is overheating?

It is always a good idea to maintain the cooling system, but is it possible that the issue is related to an erratic or malfunctioning temperature gauge or temperature sensor?

Last edited:

m73

Reaction score
How did you determine that the engine is overheating?

It is always a good idea to maintain the cooling system, but is it possible that the issue is related to an erratic or malfunctioning temperature gauge or temperature sensor?
I am past due on some of the maintenance items so that will be first on my list -- I agree there are other factors that can contribute to the issue...

The filter seemed a bit dry and old so thought maybe it restricted flow thus creating problems.....I am glad that is not the case and will get a few more items replaced and update accordingly :)

- M

m73

Reaction score
I think it is rarely the thermostat as if it fails closed you would know very quickly if it was an issue. Fan clutch and clogged radiator core are more likely.
Yes I will be doing additional maintenance and will post in the daily coupe thread -- I probably need to read up on the rad flush threads here and go from there.

-Mo

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
By an infrared thermometer, they are affordable, and look for hot spots in your radiator. Hottest near the top hose and coolest by the bottom hose. Cold spots can be sign of it being plugged requiring professional cleaning or a recore.

Reactions: m73

m73

Reaction score
By an infrared thermometer, they are affordable, and look for hot spots in your radiator. Hottest near the top hose and coolest by the bottom hose. Cold spots can be sign of it being plugged requiring professional cleaning or a recore.
Great suggestion -- I will most definitely read more on the matter and will update what the issues are....for now I am hoping to get educated and start small.

tochi

Reaction score
I am past due on some of the maintenance items so that will be first on my list -- I agree there are other factors that can contribute to the issue...

The filter seemed a bit dry and old so thought maybe it restricted flow thus creating problems.....I am glad that is not the case and will get a few more items replaced and update accordingly :)

- M

There seems no direct connection between a clogged air filter and overheating at idle. Consider that if there was a connection, you could have simply removed the suspect filter - and watched your gauge. ;)

Reactions: m73

m73

Reaction score
There seems no direct connection between a clogged air filter and overheating at idle. Consider that if there was a connection, you could have simply removed the suspect filter - and watched your gauge. ;)
Yes I considered going back to the old filter also -- My thoughts where because its fuel injection and if there were any idiosyncrasies of the system that would make it more sensitive thus causing issues....of course not the case but I wanted to ask of course --