Can you identify where these wires go?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This group of wires is going to nowhere under the dash, any clues? A missing relay? Thanks.

oY4jUmbjnVu-ylVHfBOR1YQliNEojtH7sKrgggZ1b2sQakHvFcjnJZ-GysNYLdfjQOmNwOLT5iU0ULKl8aqzA1dCGRLTc7rKOOkanxLXoVNxw5Wq9_rrvZRDm5C8M0208PE2kUx2wdXjEOd72-Pr6ELCfwkkLHUaM8QbMbcvL-G5eVZSDRV_KVuwU-TZHomXHYoWEFotXzFHo34dYoquiAUPUFjrB8U0KgGNefLcjAHum6GRIJnLgOAhIUD5xuFA1-RBYQsssb6Q_9JIw3MqAI3qChPe-Cu6HdE09W3cplUrXMTIfjo2h5_xdqm1Cx-dXr_qcnM4z_glE3lFf9958pLjz0LDjyEkQmfW9ueZLBAuM0GbKi-ZD4y9k7vqPjFHvh1kYhTs-c_G6vys-qeirvFwCKWiJv8uygw6SGL9O0B1gMWws-_xvXnXk2n1HaX-Mh5_Bo1ibUMjI48C3TGGM_-YdomKXFXi0vl6wuDYCvUXD_cWuvVEwesT9wIFh1NZ2vuVC8YG2F0LQewzgtglPbjUhzRB_ZE2oAvdRj47PF_tmBFle4W-22BJGmPOAU-vvNrmCtYAIueN3ew8cwHY1No5_ZVKm0BiFU3QBoSTGkTQ_Ki-U7aW=w578-h770-no

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
can you follow where the wire comes from? the wiring diagram shows a gray / red wire coming from fuse 2 that is for the automatic selector lever. my coupe has the same thing ... but mine was originally an automatic. the wiring diagram also shows a gray / red + gray / violet as well as a brown going to the rear foglight. my guess is that's what its for

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my ignition buzzer is still attached, and those wires are there on my coupe. i think rear fog is the answer as the wires are right next to the fuse box door ... which is right next to where the fog light switch would be

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's correct Alan, but the automatic selector has lights in them and it is powered with gray / red wires ... and on the 2800cs / early 3.0cs they were on the steering column - right next to the fuse door ... but so was the rear fog relay switch. Steve, tell us the color of the stripe on the other gray wire that will clue us in.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've got my dash open so and have factory rear fog and a green button. Will look tomorrow.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yep - gray w/red, gray with violet + brown = rear fog light. Steve, i see the gray w/ red ... is the other also gray with red or is it gray w/ violet?

climbernyc

Reaction score
Were there separate factory switches for front and rear fogs or a two position switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there was only a factory switch for the rear fog lite - its green (like the amber rear window defroster switch).

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
case closed. i will figure out how to use some of these wires to power my fog light switch for the front fogs ... because i plan to use the green switch at that location. i just won't use the gray / violet as it goes to the rear of the car. the gray / red wires go to fuse 2 and the other side of it goes to the headlight switch (contact 58a) ... which provides power for the dim circuit to the gauge cluster.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gray-purple is the rear fog light and gray-red is the supply voltage (from the headlight switch) for the rear fog lamp switch, which connects both of them thus lighting up the rear fog light. My euro '73 has two separate switches for front and rear fog lights, as the schematic diagram indicates it should. That gray-red also supplies license plate lights and other minor lights. Again, this is all for '73 and later, earlier schematic only shows one switch for both rear and front fogs.