CrackGP was a scammer. Now deleted.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan,

You can only do your best and sorry to the member who lost here.

Just a wild suggestion.

Would it make sense to have some kinda participation involved before you can sell - time involved, posts, likes etc ? I know that will preclude the odd genuine part, but eh, they still have Ebay and members normally come across it there and post here if they don't want themselves.

Don't mean to cause more work

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan,

You can only do your best and sorry to the member who lost here.

Just a wild suggestion.

Would it make sense to have some kinda participation involved before you can sell - time involved, posts, likes etc ? I know that will preclude the odd genuine part, but eh, they still have Ebay and members normally come across it there and post here if they don't want themselves.

Don't mean to cause more work
Yeah, I've considered something like that in that past but hoped the manual registration process would be enough. I'll look into it again.

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
He got 100 usd out of me. As always, felt strange at the time, but i was in a rush. No problem at all dang, i know you guys do your best. Looking back, he joined, said something pretty non controversial, and bunch of members welcomed him, he said nothing. Sat like a sleeper for 8 months, then got me....... doooh

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Between this forum and 2002faq I have probably bought hundreds of parts(I am sure that is hundreds from the record). Scammed once for chrome bumpers for a 2002 I purchased in Feb. of 2020. I too was in a hurry, should have noticed foul about the email business and F&F Paypal only.

You are not alone. To borrow a line from an old movie, "We meet once a year at Yankee Stadium."

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i will look to see if i still have any extras ... and will look thru the e3 stash of parts to see if i find any. will keep you posted

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the E24 forum there is quite a high entrance fee. I'm not for introducing such on here. Don't know what limitation can help to stop it completely - probably none.

CrackGP has contacted me about the rear differential aluminum vent/pipe I'm looking for He was providing "his friend's" email and telling he's ready to sell me that part.
I thought it is strange he will not sell it directly (even with his own percent on the item), so - in the end - I haven't answer to that message.

It does not mean I was not cheated in the past but fortunately not on the Forum.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone tried it with me in a different forum too. They're everywhere.

If you're skeptical about a seller but still interested you could have the seller take a photo of the part and include a piece of paper with your name written on it in the photo. If they're not willing it may save a bad experience.

jmackro

Reaction score

The Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board is built on the same XenForo platform as e9coupe.com. The AlfaBB is hardwired to prevent users from creating ads in the "Parts for sale" or "Cars for sale" sections until they have completed 10 posts. Perhaps XenForo has the ability to enable that feature for any user.

Admittedly that "exclusion from advertising if < 10 posts" feature isn't bullet-proof. New users can still respond to parts wanted ads, claiming to have items that they don't actually have. And a patient scammer could write 10 trivial posts to earn the right to offer fraudulent deals, though scammers are seldom that ambitious, and when they are, the moderators usually catch a string of trivial posts from a new user.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
There's a way to moderate new users for a set number of posts before they can get full permissions. I think private messaging is where they do their dirty work so they'd have to participate in conversations before being able to message someone. Theoretically this could help weed out the bad actors but it might be frustrating for legit members.