CSL wheels?

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey guys, whilst unearthing some bits for my E9 and E28 projects I stumbled across a steering wheel that interested me. It has a very similar (if not identical) design to the silver Petri wheels (crescent 6 lug pattern), minus the trim ring and horn. The boss is integral to the wheel it seems. Flat faced, with drilled spokes but is black rather than silver. BMW stamped, and the paint looks factory. Stupidly i didn't take any pictures, however it does appear to be new.

Did BMW ever have black Petris or is it an aftermarket wheel?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There were indeed black Petris. There are so few floating around that many will probably say they don't exist. @Keshav has one for his CSL. We did a bit of research before he bought his. Gerrit the resident CSL expert confirmed that they exist (via a thread on here), which is enough for me. Also, I found some pics of a few.

I don't think they ever can on an e9 from
the factory however...

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
There were indeed black Petris. There are so few floating around that many will probably say they don't exist. @Keshav has one for his CSL. We did a bit of research before he bought his. Gerrit the resident CSL expert confirmed that they exist (via a thread on here), which is enough for me. Also, I found some pics of a few.

I don't think they ever can on an e9 from
the factory however...

Interesting! From memory it felt more like a plastic/vinyl covering rather than leather, i'll take some pictures on Wednesday as i'm going back there to buy some more parts

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting! From memory it felt more like a plastic/vinyl covering rather than leather, i'll take some pictures on Wednesday as i'm going back there to buy some more parts

Yeah, I think it is a foam wheel. As far as I know the CSL wheel is the only leather typical Petri.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got a bit carried away.....

qwPTQxV.jpg

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Date stamped 7th July 1981. It must have been Beyonces because she liked it and put a ring on it. Nevertheless I'm pretty happy as it is brand spanking new and I also got some NOS waistline belt trim at a great price. Just a shame it didn't come with the horn pad, and the 2002 Petri doesn't have the horn and ring either. The Prototipo is already sold and I'm keeping the Italvolanti for myself so I guess I should just stick them up for sale. Beats being in storage for another 35 years

Wladek

Reaction score
I used to have Petri as below (model 836), also original BMW, not just changed hub (production 80's), diameter 355mm, probably e21. Wasn't my type, so was sold.

Wladek

Reaction score
Didn't VW Sciroccos have Petris?
Yes Scirocco had Petri's (38cm almost the same as e9 csl, but not leather upholstered), so called Wolfsburg Edition.
Audi GTE had Petri's 40cm (looked very close to 40cm from e9, but was concave and wasn't leather upholstered)
Opel Manta, Ascona also used Petri's the same type as i mentioned in my reply above, but silver metal part inside and diameter 375mm, model 838.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wladek, you should be the Curator at the Petri museum. Great knowledge base.

Wladek

Reaction score
Wladek, you should be the Curator at the Petri museum. Great knowledge base.
Thank you!
Probably yes, I just have to get to know 99.99% of the other steering wheels that the Petri has produced in the past, and which I do not even suspect they existo_O

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Started cleaning the wheels up

38cm Petri - Foam is in very good condition (just needs a damn good clean) bar the small holes in the rear of the foam, have a horn ring and horn coming for this, just a case of finding an E9 hub (tall order I know!) but may end up adapting the 02 hub to work with the E9 horn system

9GKQKxH.jpg

WZ5NmpN.jpg

wZYvBhJ.jpg

Italvolanti - Stitching has disintegrated on some parts which is a shame as the leather is quite good - this will be getting re trimmed and fitted onto the CS.

Qt9fwmJ.jpg

hVbcoE9.jpg

devrWBU.jpg

E21 Petri - I'll whack this up for sale as it's just going to sit in a corner and never get fitted to anything.

Oo3tWiz.jpg

XUyp3Rw.jpg

QwzBDew.jpg

Wladek

Reaction score
Started cleaning the wheels up

38cm Petri - Foam is in very good condition (just needs a damn good clean) bar the small holes in the rear of the foam, have a horn ring and horn coming for this, just a case of finding an E9 hub (tall order I know!) but may end up adapting the 02 hub to work with the E9 horn system

9GKQKxH.jpg

E21 Petri - I'll whack this up for sale as it's just going to sit in a corner and never get fitted to anything.

Oo3tWiz.jpg
If you don't find any genuine CSL or 38, or 40 hub - you can always take hub from e21 Petri to Petri CSL it will fit almost plug'n'play, you will only need adaptor plate for horn (like momo have (momo will fit, just will need new holes according to Petri)), bolts + screw nuts, diy lock system for hub cover.
The good thing also is that after you take hub for Petri CSL, on this bare Petri e21 you can put any other Momo hub (it will fit in second set of holes from hub mount) and just sell it (this e21 wheel is not much valuable, so it doesn't metter for new buyer if it will have genuine hub or not).
Of course i know that CSL steering wheel deserve CSL hub etc.,etc., but in my opinion it is also alternative.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you don't find any genuine CSL or 38, or 40 hub - you can always take hub from e21 Petri to Petri CSL it will fit almost plug'n'play, you will only need adaptor plate for horn (like momo have (momo will fit, just will need new holes according to Petri)), bolts + screw nuts, diy lock system for hub cover.
The good thing also is that after you take hub for Petri CSL, on this bare Petri e21 you can put any other Momo hub (it will fit in second set of holes from hub mount) and just sell it (this e21 wheel is not much valuable, so it doesn't metter for new buyer if it will have genuine hub or not).
Of course i know that CSL steering wheel deserve CSL hub etc.,etc., but in my opinion it is also alternative.

The 38 Petri isn't a CSL wheel, foam grip not leather.

Also the E21 Petri hub is riveted to the wheel, and the spacing between the 6 holes is much greater.

Wladek

Reaction score
As i mentioned before - in past i had Petri e21 pretty close to yours & i always thought that it has the same holes spacings as Petri 35,38,40.
But I guess I was wrong though...:oops: Now I have no way to compare, because I do not have that E21 Petri any more.
Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As i mentioned before - in past i had Petri e21 pretty close to yours & i always thought that it has the same hole spacing as Petri 35,38,40.
But I guess I was wrong though...:oops: Now I have no way to compare, because I do not have that E21 Petri any more.
Sorry for the confusion

You know it looks like you are right! Even better, it looks like the same bolt pattern found on the standard (aka cheap), e21 sport wheel, which is also made by Petri. Looks like you may have found us an $80 alternative to unobtainable vintage Petri hubs.

DSCF0887_zpsc93372fa.jpg

Last edited:

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, if you look at the e21 wheel you can see the wheel is riveted on with a standard 6 bolt pattern, the "Petri style" mounting holes are in fact for the hub cover to secure itself, by means of plastic tabs that go in.

The diameter of the hole spacing is also much greater on the e21 wheel

In other words, the quest for obtainable Petri hubs that don't cost the earth remains unsolved. Have a friend of a friend with a casting foundry, who I'm going to try and contact and see if a boss could be made at reasonable cost