D-Jet stalling

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Myself and friend boh have d-jet and generally they run fine .However ,at running temperature,if you 'stab' the accelerator quickly at idle ( 950 rpm) , the tacho rises and then usually drops well below 950 rpm which often causes the engine to stall ...it can then require a few seconds of pumping accelerator for engine to fire again. The quick pedal stab also generates a very audible whistling noise from somewhere in the engine bay so not sure if that is relevant ? Both run 123 ignition.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,Simon

tochi

Reaction score
The possible causes of your problem are many. Sight unseen, this includes anything from a loose, corroded primary ignition wire, a failing ignition coil to a failing fuel pump or relay. With no background information as to condition and recent repairs or upgrades, narrowing the focus is difficult.

Setting all of this aside, my first guess would be to examine the throttle position sensor. That part is susceptible to wear/corrosion and, if worn, it can lead to dead spots while accelerating - although the engine will not necessarily stop running. With the ignition switch on, do you hear twenty-one clicks as you move the throttle plate? Next, as unlikely as it may seem, is your ignition switch sloppy or worn? You typically have to examine this where the ignition wires connect and not necessarily where the key is inserted. I am unfamiliar with your ignition system as it interfaces with the djet. I assume the distributor includes a provision for the djet trigger contacts. Naturally, you might consider examining the same and associated wiring for condition and function. Whistling "could" obviously indicate a vacuum leak, but it might also be a somewhat normal noise with a closed throttle plate and an engine that is developing vacuum by rotating without running ( ≠ spark or fuel) .

https://e9coupe.com/tech/dljet/dljet.pdf
https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had that exact same problem.

Under the throttle body is a large slot head screw with a spring behind it, which adjusts the idle air mixture. Unscrew it, 1/8 of a turn, drive around for a few days & unscrew 1/16. That should fix the stalling condition at operating temperature.

IMG_3716.JPG

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Disconnect the TPS (engine will still run, surprisingly well w/o it.) If you still have the problem, you’ll know it isn’t the TPS.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Open up your your TPS and clean it. TPS on djet acts as a throttle enrichment device depending on how fast you go over the 23? Tracks.
Engine will idle with TPS but will not react to acceleration correctly.