Demographic research

Rek

Reaction score
The shape of the E9 seems to be universally popular. Even though mine is still a work in progress, a state which might outlast me, people who have seen it love the shape and the lines, even youngsters of both gender.

But who owns these cars. Predominantly male but only men of a certain age will have actually seen one and be aware of them. So I am testing the hypothesis that most owners are 50+.

At that age they would have seen these cars, drooled over them, not been able to afford them or even be driving, but look at buying one when they had the means to.

So to start us off. I am 56 years old and fit the description above perfectly. Anyone else?

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
57 years young ....bought mine in 1987 and paid $17,500 which was a lot of money back then... saw it and the salesman knew he had me hooked and just reeled me in . Was my daily driver for a few years but has been off the road for about 20 years and hope to have resto finished this year . But , yes, I think the demographic is North of 50...

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm 43, bought my first E9 at 36. As a racer, I appreciate the car for it's racing heritage, and I don't get too excited about a stock Coupe (but can appreciate their beauty).

But I have to say, I'm on dozens of BMW boards, and this one is by far the best, without any BS or drama. Thanks to everyone who is a part of it! Max, Richmond VA

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bought Athena when I was 43 as a 20th Anniversary gift for my wife, I'm 47 now. Wanted an E9 since I was 8 and saw the Calder Art car at a Calder Retrospective at the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh PA. It was referred to as the Caldermobile at the time as he was well known for making mobile sculptures.

D-jetronic

Reaction score

....and bought it for my 28 th birthday in 1988.
I have already spent half of my life with her !

Marc.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bought my first in 1985 at the age of 22 after seing one drive by. Had it for my DD for 2 years before getting married, kids etc.

Bought my current one in 2010 after kids grown. I'm 53 but not too old to remember this thread: :)

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12492

Edit per Stan I am 6'5"

Here they are in the same spot, 25 years apart:

Pc0jke1zuV6308JXjzidEoTLj13-idzni-nICDz2QM0wykO6xu5W8Gj4rgTy0EkYTxEJZ6VTEToLB_Mr6z9KniYe2LGj3QaHf5n5LBy4CPFVD4mU47pFa1M6JbPJpMFeo84NZvIML1TGEtyZ8TZkW18cVf6nTtLyXOGMCgRLIA7fSSCcSWSRqRSLS8Dkf5VgUcieXbh_zTcg6wVTF6N8UyMaCwHfMmrZfgWfxEgyM1-Lu_8MMSr8bd0RIptkdqHwQK4H7OYWEGdei6wEAkuqVLT9H8b-KbE7XYMfNC9NEn6E1ZI3Qsih0eBh1KTZ6U6IvMEL-ghUKslv8Lc-KwJYFGSAzTetfjvvjMOji3qwLFfDtinNalCbuqLHDgUV9HhLJF2Ni_3NWv_0XYqQP84bh7FT0b_PeZFbTT_hDhud8TCceRwW_lYMMDTH8DvQjEhac-rfSSSFT7Em-K8DIzvPfdw1wojvM2jpiWsdHveAh6-Tf4NoV7umtP8IeIo4unTIlKLVHYt__M--hojOqfSJeyHPLz_COwa3P9W2-M8N3sLz8vpQjcv--AQOxOj7HGPBlBhe=w567-h659-no

Last edited:

TodB

Reaction score
Purchased mine in 2000 when I was 41 (sigh). Saw one when I was 13 and vowed to have one when I could afford it.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I first saw a BMW e9 'in the flesh' at the New York Auto Show in 1970 (plus or minus 1 year). It was a BEAUTIFUL Baikal blue car with white leather interior, sitting on it's rotating pedestal. A friend I'd met in grad school in AZ had also moved east for a job and we were both 'gearheads' (I had a Pontiac GTO and a Fiat 124 spider, he had a Healey 3000) so we decided going to NY City for the show would be a fun day together. We both were in awe of the car, but had just started our careers, so had no bucks to spend on a fancy car. But I certainly 'lusted' for the time I could drive one of those beauties. The great reviews in Road and Track etc. just added to the desire.

Fast forward to 1973 - age 36 - when I purchased '71 2800 CS automatic in Nachtblau/Schwarz leather. Loved the handling and styling, but the trans was the pits! Found a 1973 Nachtblau/Braunen 4 speed in Boston in 1975 - bought it and sold the Fiat. Sold the '73 in 1980, as the rust mites/worms had started to show up by bubbling the paint on both front fenders (I hate rust in cars!!!). After many years of other German cars with performance character, I finally decided to go 'retro' in my old age and return to the one out of about 50 cars I've owned that I REALLY enjoyed most.

SO - found and bought the current one in 2015 at age 78 (after a very thorough rust inspection!, did I say I hate rust?).

I'll enjoy this one as long as the state of PA allows me to drive!

PS: Since vertical stature has been added, I 'was' 5' 8" when I first lusted after the e9. Gravity has resulted in slight vertebra compression.

Attachments

• 3.0 CS -fogs 003.jpg
    3.0 CS -fogs 003.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bought mine in 1984 when I was 29. I got 2 thumbs up (the car not me) driving to work today. One by a women who looked to be in her 60's and the other by a young male on a motorcycle. There is no age or gender restriction when recognizing the timeless beauty of our coupes.

Doug

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Saw one when I was 25, (1985) no funds/no hope. Found one by the side of the road in 2011, some funds/some hope. Probably never would have become an e9 junkie without this forum. Thanks :roll:

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought mine in 2003 when I was 38. Now, I'm part of the 50+ crowd - which is hard for me to believe sometimes.

It's the longest I've owned a car.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
In 1969, I was enlightened by a new automatic 2002 my step-father bought. Instant love, and complete, total abandonment of any feelings for anything built by Detroit. Imagine my reaction when I saw the coupe written up by Car and Driver in 1972 (IIRC.) THAT was the car to have. Got my '74 in 1999, when I was 46, 17 years of driving/ownership love since. Nothing else compares.