E3/E9 AC Temp Control availability

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a "new" AC system in my E3. @Blinkling evaporator, a Sanden style compressor, a big cross flow condenser, Trinary switch, all new hoses, dryer, all O ring connections, etc. It finally got warm enough here to give it a test the other day. It pumps out 35f air, but the compressor won't cycle on it's own. I can do it manually with the temp switch, but that's a pain.

I kept the working fan switch, but the original temp control switch was broken. I replaced it with one from Amazon when I couldn't find an OE one...

I believe this is the culprit.

When I search now, I find the usual suspects list them for sale...

My experience with these old parts is although they are listed, they never have any or can get any. The fact that WN lists them...

...gives me hope. that maybe they ARE available.

Has anybody bought one recently? If so, from whom? If not, is anybody using a good working generic substitute?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a "new" AC system in my E3. @Blinkling evaporator, a Sanden style compressor, a big cross flow condenser, Trinary switch, all new hoses, dryer, all O ring connections, etc. It finally got warm enough here to give it a test the other day. It pumps out 35f air, but the compressor won't cycle on it's own. I can do it manually with the temp switch, but that's a pain.

I kept the working fan switch, but the original temp control switch was broken. I replaced it with one from Amazon when I couldn't find an OE one...

My experience with these old parts is although they are listed, they never have any or can get any. The fact that WN lists them...

Has anybody bought one recently? If so, from whom? If not, is anybody using a good working generic substitute?

i do not have that experience with wally nelly, if it is listed they have it
very different to other parts sellers (sorry aggregators) that have no idea of the part they show until you ask for it

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score

Dick
I bought a 64511386318 from W&N and it was way to big to fit in the E9.
I bought an Amazon and one from Nastalgic Air. I used the Amazon but I am not sure if it cycling on and off.
Just FYI,
Dan

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i do not have that experience with wally nelly, if it is listed they have it
very different to other parts sellers (sorry aggregators) that have no idea of the part they show until you ask for it
I agree that if WN shows it, it is likely that they have it. Not true with a lot of the other suppliers.

One strange thing about the one WN carries, is that they don't list the E9/E3 as models it fits even though it is the correct PN for an E9/E3. Based on Dan's experience, maybe there is a reason they don't list it for an E9/E3.

I always thought it was against the rules of part nomenclature to use the same PN if it has a different form, fit, or function than the original.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick
I bought UAC SW 6490C A/C Thermostat from Amazon in 2020.
It is in the car and seems to work but I always just leave it on full.
I might of modified the shaft but am not completely sure.
Dan

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dick
I bought UAC SW 6490C A/C Thermostat from Amazon in 2020.
It is in the car and seems to work but I always just leave it on full.
I might of modified the shaft but am not completely sure.
Dan
Thanks, Dan.

That's the same switch I'm using. I do remember filing down the shaft a little so that the stock knob fit. Mine seems to always send 12V to the relay that operates the compressor clutch. Even with the temp set at the lowest setting. I'm afraid the evaporator will ice up.

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, Dan.

That's the same switch I'm using. I do remember filing down the shaft a little so that the stock knob fit. Mine seems to always send 12V to the relay that operates the compressor clutch. Even with the temp set at the lowest setting. I'm afraid the evaporator will ice up.
Dick
That could be and I did have some AC issues on a long trip that could have been from frosting up. Please let me know what you find that is better.
Thx, Dan

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dick
That could be and I did have some AC issues on a long trip that could have been from frosting up. Please let me know what you find that is better.
Thx, Dan
@billpatterson has this switch in his Bavaria...

I will give that one a try, but first...
There is a paint sealed adjustment screw on the switch. I'm going to play with it a little and see if I can get the compressor to cycle and still deliver <40f air in the full cold position.

steve in reno

Reaction score
that is the one i used and it works great. It fits between the vent slats of the dash panel.
It was 100 yesterday and the
AC worked amazingly well on low. high was just too cold.
The extra length of the capillary tube makes its use easy getting to the dash and into the vent box

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I installed the AC temp control that @sfdon recommended in post #10. Fixed it! The AC blows ice cold (<30F) and the compressor cycles often enough to prevent the evaporator from icing up.

The Amazon temp controller that I was using "looks" identical to the NAPA one Don recommended, but it is either different internally or I just got a bad one.

In any case thanks, Don! :)

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can I ask how much (very rough estimate) all this cost?

I'm thinking I might need something other hot air blowing on my face.

Thanks.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Can I ask how much (very rough estimate) all this cost?

I'm thinking I might need something other hot air blowing on my face.

Thanks.
I believe all the parts were about $1500...maybe a little less. I did all the assembly. It was about $200 to have an AC shop charge and test the system.

BTW, I bought a new hose crimper (for both standard and reduced barrier hoses). I used it only on this installation. I paid $149.05. I will sell it for $100 plus shipping.