E9 Brake Master cylinder

marc

Reaction score
Took the old CSl out to day and after about 20 miles the brake fluid light started to flicker. Pulled over and looked around the car and could see no leaks then noticed it had been leaking inside the car out of the end of the master cylinder. Topped up with brake fluid and drove home to have a proper look and its no longer leaking and the brakes are (as before ) fine.

Decided to rebuild master cylinder , emailed W&N they don't do a seal kit or new cylinder, Jay mic do one for around £55 but are out of stock and on back order .Any one any idea were I can find a rebuild kit or a master cylinder or of any one who rebuilds master cylinders in the UK ?
thanks
Marc

Malc

Reaction score
Marc,
There is a UK company which will take your old master cylinder and resleeve it in stainless steel,plus all the appropriate seals. I can't remember the name of the company right now, but they do adverstise in Practical Classics from time to time.
The good thing about this is that the bore is "as new" so you don't have to worry about pitting, rust etc.

It is possible that because the car has been sat for a long time the seals were weeping a little, now they have moved they have "bedded" in again.
Make sure that it is not leaking from around where the fluid reservior connects up, the bungs don't like all the heat from the exhaust
HTH
Malc

marc

Reaction score
Thanks Malc, will buy Practical classics and see if if I can find them. I really must start using the E9 more often, so far this year its done around 60 miles, in fact the car has only moved 6k miles in the last 10 years. Its funny when you look through a cars history in its first year from new it covered 16,900 miles by the time it was 2 years old it had covered 32,00 miles , was sold when 3 years old to the chap i got it from with 36,00 miles and in the next 31 years has only done another 47,000 miles or 1400 miles a year for most of its life. Its had 41 BMW services with a full service every year after the first 3 years. After talking to the PO I am lead to belive they were 47000 very gentle miles and it never broke down or had any trouble with it in his ownership.

Marc

Paul T

Reaction score
Brake rebuild

Hi Guys,

The company you are looking for are called Past Parts www.pastparts.co.uk

I have just used them to rebuild a pair of brake boosters. The service is excellent and it was all done on time. The daft things is that I can't say whether they work or not as they are being fitted today - look nice though and were all pressure tested etc.

Paul

marc

Reaction score
Thanks Paul and Malc, have sent email for a quote. It hasn't lost any fluid since i topped it up ( well may be just enough to notice on the inner bulkhead). It pasted the MOT today with out any problems and put 50 miles on the clock with a big grin for most of them. Just loving it :D
marc

joop

Reaction score
Hi Marc,

If you need a good master cylinder, I just bought a total loss CSI.
It was a daily driver until a few weeks ago, so the brakes are OK
let me know if you're interested

Joseph :)