E9 / E3 Fuse Panel / New Product Upgrade / Review / Converting to modern blade style fuses with LED status mode

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the past two months while working on the current E9 project I was asked to evaluate a prototype fuse panel. Many of you know of my skepticism of aftermarket products, particularly with electronics for vintage BMWs. So, here are my conclusions from testing and evaluating this device from www.holygraillabs.com/.

Short feedback: This is a superior solution in fusing each branch of your wire harness. It is truly drop-in compatible, provides more reliable termination of your fuses and gives 'at a glance' status of each fuse.

Details: Galahad has designed a truly footprint compatible fuse panel using modern blade fuses with a new diagnostic function that that gives you red light / green light LED status (Red =open circuit / blown fuse or green light (good fuse with conductivity). All if this fits just as your original does, even the clear plastic cover is compatible to the original.

Installation, for those of you who have spent time under the E9 dash, this install is not trivial. You have to remove both lower dash panels and unfasten the fuse panel from it's bracket and then remove this mounting bracket to gain access to the back side where terminals are placed. The upside down contortionist maneuvers require you to 'pin for pin' wire transfers. This will be worth the effort. We are working on some detailed installation instructions, but for the moment, here are a few pics to give you an idea of what is involved.

I’ve asked Galahad to join the conversation to properly answer any questions you might have. Holy Grail Labs has already developed a similar project for the E28 models as well as the late style 2002’s. They get high marks in the E28 orbit, now I understand why.

Attachments

• IMG_9329.jpg
    IMG_9329.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_9331 (1).jpg
    IMG_9331 (1).jpg
    380 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_9442 (1).jpg
    IMG_9442 (1).jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_9336 (1).jpg
    IMG_9336 (1).jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 126

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
They beat me to it!
Had I known someone was working on a solution…
IMG_6494.jpeg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Could not agree more, especially since my N=1 experience has been no electrical issues with my E3, 635 csi or my M6..

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Having been on the road and having issues finding barrel fuses, I'm going to switch when I can. Over the last 10 years or so the general availability of the OEM fuse style has dropped precipitously.

Just to be clear, I'm really glad Galahad's making these, and I want to support the community. I also want to support Ezz's work, as long term, our cars are only going to survive if more people start making parts. (or we will pay a king's ransom to BMW)

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the past two months while working on the current E9 project I was asked to evaluate a prototype fuse panel. Many of you know of my skepticism of aftermarket products, particularly with electronics for vintage BMWs. So, here are my conclusions from testing and evaluating this device from www.holygraillabs.com/.

Short feedback: This is a superior solution in fusing each branch of your wire harness. It is truly drop-in compatible, provides more reliable termination of your fuses and gives 'at a glance' status of each fuse.

Details: Galahad has designed a truly footprint compatible fuse panel using modern blade fuses with a new diagnostic function that that gives you red light / green light LED status (Red =open circuit / blown fuse or green light (good fuse with conductivity). All if this fits just as your original does, even the clear plastic cover is compatible to the original.

Installation, for those of you who have spent time under the E9 dash, this install is not trivial. You have to remove both lower dash panels and unfasten the fuse panel from it's bracket and then remove this mounting bracket to gain access to the back side where terminals are placed. The upside down contortionist maneuvers require you to 'pin for pin' wire transfers. This will be worth the effort. We are working on some detailed installation instructions, but for the moment, here are a few pics to give you an idea of what is involved.

I’ve asked Galahad to join the conversation to properly answer any questions you might have. Holy Grail Labs has already developed a similar project for the E28 models as well as the late style 2002’s. They get high marks in the E28 orbit, now I understand why.
it is very nice and easy to replace but price is little high, if it was 2 or 300 I could buy one, but it is great idea to replace.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Having been on the road and having issues finding barrel fuses, I'm going to switch when I can. Over the last 10 years or so the general availability of the OEM fuse style has dropped precipitously.

Just to be clear, I'm really glad Galahad's making these, and I want to support the community. I also want to support Ezz's work, as long term, our cars are only going to survive if more people start making parts. (or we will pay a king's ransom to BMW)
I am wondering if we could use 525 BMW fuse box it is on ebay for $50 and there is more fuse than we need for E9

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I understand the overall benefit of the Holygraillabs fuse box & its aesthetic appeal for E9s.

While the original, bayonet style fuses are no longer available at chain auto parts stores, they are still available on ebay in ceramic 8A, 10A, 12A &16A. I have 4 BMWs who use them, they arrive in small bags with Mercedes Benz logos on an insert card.

Ezz

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am also happy now there is a readily available option as my design is still in development.
And I admit, the holygrail labs design looks nice! Especially with the clear cover.
I am overall having fun with my fuse box project and committed to make it happen.
Thanks all for the support!

Galahad

Reaction score
Hi everybody, glad to be here!

First we are super appreciative of Paul's testing of the new product as well as sharing his thoughts with us and on the forums. Thanks Paul!

If anyone has questions or suggestions don't hesitate to ask here or reach out to support(at)holygraillabs(dot)com.

I am also happy now there is a readily available option as my design is still in development.
And I admit, the holygrail labs design looks nice! Especially with the clear cover.
I am overall having fun with my fuse box project and committed to make it happen.
Thanks all for the support!

Thanks for the complement. We're looking forward to seeing how yours comes out, the e28 kit started as a fun project for me too.

Are you interested in testing our early E9 variant?

Galahad

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
Production units for the late E9 fuse box are in stock and ready to ship. I'll keep the 15% preorder discount open until the end of the month - get them while they're hot!
E3 / early E9 units are in testing, no issues so far. Making a few final checks then I'll order a production batch. Current estimate is shipping mid-May.

Dlc

Site Donor
Reaction score
As a pilot tester I had the privilege to install and test the early style fuse box in my 1971 CS.

Unboxing:
1713095170029.png

Old fuse box out:
1713095253840.png
1713095303306.png

New fuse box in:
1713095363891.png

As always, the preparation and getting access (removing left glove box and cover under steering wheel) take longest in the whole exercise.
Once you have documented your current connections and started to unplug/replug into new box the going gets pretty smooth.
The box is a plug and play installation.

The LED indicatiors glow nicely in the dark:
1713095541520.png

(starter on, lights turned off)

when a connection is broken (eg broken fuse/fuse out) the red LED shows:
1713095720901.png

I have been driving about 300 km in the last weeks and everything works like a charm for now!