Finishing School for a Fjord 3.0 CS / 100 projects to improve a Coupe / Countdown

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 14 is to recreate the overspray of the body color on the undercarriage. Yes, there is minimum masking and protection, but this detail gun puts out only a small pattern and volume. Its very controllable. Going for that hurried Turkish worker look at the Karmann factory. The last jpg is simply the before surface. Same technique was used on the trailing edge of the front fender wells.

Attachments

• IMG_8746 (1).jpg
    IMG_8746 (1).jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_8732.jpg
    IMG_8732.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_8745.jpg
    IMG_8745.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 160

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The idea on all these projects is to improve / fix / verify all of the work done on the initial restoration. Occasionally you hit a gold mine of gratification. Yesterday was one of those days. The PO had installed new Bilstein shocks. I'll never know if it was his installer or if the gland nut had simply worked its way loose. But I was able to get a full 360 rotation of additional tightening on both struts. Very, very gratifying in avoiding that incredibly irritating knocking sound when going over bumps. Irritating in that you have disassemble the strut to address the issue. We will call this one: Project 15.

Attachments

• IMG_8789.jpg
    IMG_8789.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 146

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 16: replace, wherever possible, new known quality hardware. This is shipment no. 2 on this project to replenish the tubs of BMW hardware I've been collecting for 37 years. These are the 6mm and 8mm trays.

Attachments

• IMG_8786.jpg
    IMG_8786.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 146
  • hardware.JPG
    hardware.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 148

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 11 update: the rear suspension assembly is about ready to go back in. Just waiting on the zinc plater for some brake and sway bar parts to be replated.

Attachments

• IMG_8741.jpg
    IMG_8741.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 155

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Project 17: fix the dead steering issue. When I purchased the car, I immediately understood why the PO sold it. It ran pretty horribly. This comment was an accumulation of observations about many subjective items: Sticky throttle linkage, lean surge, Idle too high (where it knocks your teeth out when you put it in gear (originally an automatic)), horrible seat belts, wind leaks, floppy center console, etc. The biggest issue was the steering. It was dead. After turning it would not return to center. You had to pull the wheel back to 12 o'clock. This really destroyed the nimble driving experience of the Coupe. I was cogitating on what was causing this? Initially confident that someone had over tightened the steering box adjustment. But earlier today I discovered the root cause:

The drag linkage arm on the passenger side (opposite the steering box) had been WAY overtightened. Like someone had used an pneumatic impact driver. I had to use a 24'' breaker bar to get the nut loose. I was stunned. After removing and cleaning the arm it was clear the PO had installed a new bushing. Reassembled now, with lots of grease and a very torquing of the nyloc nut with the two wrenches, its silky smooth. I can't wait to test drive the car again! Amazing that such a simple (novice) error could do so much drivability damage. Project 17 is by far, the most gratifying to date on this entire project.

Attachments

• IMG_8802.jpg
    IMG_8802.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 155

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got the struts reassembled today. Smooth progress until I went to reinstall the hubs. I was cleaning the castle nuts after installing the new wheel bearings when I discovered this little fast fix. When you can't find the precision ground keyed bearing washer, just use a washer you found on the floor. Another stunning piece of workmanship by the bodyshop of the PO. This was assembled by someone who has no concept of the importance of metallurgy.

Let me say, the PO was a stand up guy and relied on the 'professional workmanship' of the body shop to reassemble the car. If you are restoring a Coupe, or any car for that matter, don't let the body shop talk you into them doing everything. You would never take your set of new pistons to a body shop to have them do the installation.

Attachments

• IMG_8803.jpg
    IMG_8803.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8805.jpg
    IMG_8805.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8807.jpg
    IMG_8807.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8810.jpg
    IMG_8810.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Project 16: replace, wherever possible, new known quality hardware. This is shipment no. 2 on this project to replenish the tubs of BMW hardware I've been collecting for 37 years. These are the 6mm and 8mm trays.
Love Bel Metric. Do you save the original BMW hardware?

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Let's start tonight's update with a quiz. This is the top of the rear shock, exactly as I disassembled it. What is wrong with this picture?

Attachments

• IMG_8820.jpg
    IMG_8820.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not that we were in a rush. But it was a smooth 26 minutes to do the rear suspension installation. @Mike Pelly helping with the cart and subframe alignment. Installed with springs out. Once the subframe and diff were bolted into place we dropped the top of the shocks to lower the control arms enough to insert the springs. Then, using a tall threaded jack stand, pressed the control arm up, with the shocks back in place to fasten the top of each shock absorber. It went very smoothly. Tomorrow will be torquing and torque striping each fastener, hooking up the brake lines, EBrake cables, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_8821.jpg
    IMG_8821.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_8824.jpg
    IMG_8824.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_8828.jpg
    IMG_8828.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 129

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Let’s see. It’s been awhile since I installed rear shocks. But the lower metal washer appears to be upside down.
Winner, Winner, chicken dinner! You are correct, the rubber grommets are to be sandwiched on either side of the body, not the metal-on-metal configuration that this body shop used. Everyday it's a new surprise on this project.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Will you be installing the stock one piece shock bushing/ grommet?

IMG_0261.jpeg

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nope, I am not a fan of getting these in the correct position, I just use the conventional grommets, just installed in the correct (rubber facing the body) orientation.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Another productive day at the shop: driveshaft installed, finished up the exhaust system and installed it. A big thank you to @Stevehose for selling me the last of the 60mm tailpipe chrome tips two years ago! I then fabricated a thin tube with a 55mm ID and a 60mm OD, then welded it on the stock 55mm pipe. Now the chrome tip fits.

Sway bar installed. Next up is anchoring the E- brake cable with a custom bracket, otherwise it is too contorted. Front suspension is next.

Attachments

• IMG_8881.jpg
    IMG_8881.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_8885.jpg
    IMG_8885.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8882.jpg
    IMG_8882.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8887.jpg
    IMG_8887.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8886.jpg
    IMG_8886.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8836.jpg
    IMG_8836.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8880.jpg
    IMG_8880.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 111

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hmmm ... i do have both 55 and 60mm OD chrome exhaust tips. didn't realize that neither were available. for a while you could get a 60mm from Stoddard for early 911, and BMW still sold the 55mm.

Paul, the coupe is looking amazing ... keep it up, somebody is going to have a great car

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hmmm ... i do have both 55 and 60mm OD chrome exhaust tips. didn't realize that neither were available. for a while you could get a 60mm from Stoddard for early 911, and BMW still sold the 55mm.

Paul, the coupe is looking amazing ... keep it up, somebody is going to have a great car
Re: 'Somebody is going to have a great car' I am planning for that somebody to be me. The last one (Patricia Mayer's) slipped away too quickly, I want to enjoy this one.