Floorpan replacement on e9

EJ333

Reaction score
Is Floorpan removal and replacement a standard procedure that can be done nicely by almost any solid autobody shop, or is there something unique about the coupe that it would be best left in the hands of someone who has done it on a lot of coupes ?

jmackro

Reaction score
Is Floorpan removal and replacement a standard procedure that can be done nicely by almost any solid autobody shop, or is there something unique about the coupe that it would be best left in the hands of someone who has done it on a lot of coupes ?

This operation isn't rocket science. Any bodyman experienced in restoration work should be able to do it. The key is to NOT go to a shop that primarily does collision repair on modern cars. You need people with grey hair.

Make sure that the foam blocks at the front of the front L and R floors are carefully removed before the old floors are cut out. Those blocks are NLA, and difficult to reproduce.

Last edited:

EJ333

Reaction score
Jay,
Several weeks ago, I removed the foam blocks. I removed the passenger side first and it came out perfectly intact. When I removed the smaller driver's side foam block, it came out in four pieces. I used 3M spray adhesive to roughly put it back together. I am wondering if my passenger side foam might be somehow useful to make a mold for a repro . I wouldn't even know here to go to have it reproduced, or even if it would be a worthwhile endeavor as this is quite a specialty item. Thanks for your advise about gray hair experience etc.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Years ago we bought neoprene interlocking squares for my kids to play on. Well, they have been used as floor insulation in my E3 and I am sure you could construct a block by layering them.