Front Bumper attachment - need your picture

aeronotix

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to find a way to retrofit a front chrome bumper instead of those ugly diving boards aka impact bumpers.
I would like to get picture from older CS to understand how the two bumper brackets attach to the frame.
I posted the pictures of the frame of my car. Any pictures of yours will be helpful. Thanks!
Stephane.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 186
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 164
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 162

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you use the search feature you will find lots of discussion on this conversion. There is a retrofit bracket that fits in the tube where the shock was for the front.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
The older style brackets

They go thru the slots and along side the front stub frame rails.
The originals were held on with a pair of carriage bolts whose heads fit into special slots in those stub rails. The way Mario did mine was to weld up the big holes, cut slots that position the old style brackets such that they are positioned along side the stub rails (positioning different than the 73 and earlier because the 74's have a reinforced stub rail). In my case, they're held on with 2 long bolts(per side) that go all the way thru the stub rail.

aeronotix

Reaction score
They go thru the slots and along side the front stub frame rails.
The originals were held on with a pair of carriage bolts whose heads fit into special slots in those stub rails. The way Mario did mine was to weld up the big holes, cut slots that position the old style brackets such that they are positioned along side the stub rails (positioning different than the 73 and earlier because the 74's have a reinforced stub rail). In my case, they're held on with 2 long bolts(per side) that go all the way thru the stub rail.

Thanks everyone for the help! Since I already have the old style bumper brackets I would in fact prefer to go with this solution...
On which side of the frame rails does your bumper brackets attach? On the inner sides or outer sides of the frame? Any pics of how the brackets are fastened to the frame?
Thanks again,
Stephane.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John has described the 72 and earlier use of carriage bolts but US 73 models use a conventional bolt and nut. Bumper bracket mounts out side of frame rail, it won't fit on the inside. Here is a pic of drivers side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 120