How do I move my post?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You might consider an approach used by thieves. Insert big screwdriver in lock, hit it with very large mallet, turn screwdriver and latch opens. Then buy a new or used lock. Don't destroy the vinyl trunk cover.

Gor

Reaction score
Thanks Chris,
I agree with you. I would much rather break the lock.
It would be quicker to do, and tend to think that a replacement lock would be easier to find, especially if that vinyl trim is no longer available.
Don't worry, I won't sacrifice the trim, but if the hammer and screwdriver doesn't work, would drilling the lock barrel out still be an option? It appears that locksmiths do sometimes resort to use this technique.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm since that special program on Al Capone's safe was a bust, perhaps he used your boot.

Peter is right, emblem is held by little plastic molly things. I sprayed WD40 on mine, waited a bit and then removed it with the tool used to remove door cards (basically a plastic spade thing). You can just push the molly into the trunk and have about 5mm (yeah some of us can do metric) hole.

I cannot recall if the license plate lights which you can remove from the outside, gives you some inside access.

Gor

Reaction score
The good, the bad, and the ugly...

Hey guys,

We've done it! I just wanted to let you know that we're in!

Chris... the screwdriver/mallet trick didn't work for me, the lock barrel made a nasty click, and on turning just spun round without operating the latch trigger, (still no access hole). Guess I wouldn't make a good car thief, (if there is such a thing).

Drilling the barrel out created an access hole, without damaging the trim, whereby I was able to trigger the latch, and she popped open.

Bavbob... unfortunately, 'Al Capone's treasure', like the toolbox, was missing.This was a huge disappointment to me, since I was really looking forward to exporting to you your 50% share (minus the outrageous shipping, container, and handling fees, of course).

I took photos of my 'findings' (hence the title of this post), but am unable to attach them at present. (flipping laptop!!!)
Sorry to keep you on the edge of your seats, but I'll try again tomorrow,
...if your interested.
Kind regards,
Gor

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gar, congrats! If photos won't upload when adding to your post, they are too large, it just doesn't let you know that is the reason.

Gor

Reaction score
The good ,the bad, the ugly...cont'd.

Chris,... Thanks...I've resized the photos, hopefully they will upload this time!

Stevehose,... fortunately, the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa still remain a mystery.

What I found when the trunk popped.

The good... spare wheel and jack, half decent trim.
The bad....carpet not great condition. No toolbox
The ugly... more rust.

Please see attachments.... first two, of four pics.

More coming soon!

Kind regards

Gor

Attachments

• boot open.jpg
    boot open.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 154
  • spare wheel.jpg
    spare wheel.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 196

Gor

Reaction score
The good ,the bad, the ugly...cont'd.

The spare tyre was 'rusted' in, so I tugged harder, and discovered this.
...See attachment 'rust.jpg'

I gave the area a quick sweep, removed the drain plug,then scraped/dug away at the rust, with a screwdriver, and thus slightly enlarged the drain hole, where the it had eaten right through at the edge. The other areas of rust began to show some bright metal just under the surface, when I scraped hard, and there was also bright metal under the adjacent paint.
... See attachment "IMG_3535.jpg

What did I expect after more than 30 years of neglect!

Would the complete tyre well need replacing, or is there a chance it be patched up?

And which other areas are seriously prone to rust, and would require investigatiion, especially where it might be hard for a novice to spot.

I look forward to receiving your further comments and jokes.

Kind regards

Gor

Attachments

• rust.jpg
    rust.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 153

Gor

Reaction score
IMG_3535.jpg

Last attachment...

Attachments

• IMG_3535 a.jpg
    IMG_3535 a.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 150

damienh

Reaction score
I guess this is subjective, but I would just patch it Gor. Assuming it is the definitely only hole in that panel, a new panel is fairly pricey I think. Overall the car looks in pretty good condition and I'm glad you didn't destroy the vinyl panel as I suggested before. What a great colour.

You need to remove all the trim and have a look everywhere, but the area around the shock towers are probably the most important being structural. That plastic trim is very flimsy and brittle so be extremely careful. There are many ways for water to get in; through the rear windscreen seal, if that's rotten like mine, through the boot seal, if that's rotten like mine. Through the aerial hole. I had a hole on each side of the boot behind the wheel arches. My petrol tank also rusted in the seam where it attaches to the boot floor, water had been sitting in this area.

You've probably see the useful diagram in here, but in case you haven't...

http://www.e9coupe.com/buyers_guide/

Cheers,

Damien