In the market for a BMW E9

arporsche

Reaction score
I have recently joined this forum and will be purchasing an E9 in the next few months. I am definitely not an expert on these cars and would like some advice on what I should be looking for in an investment car. Would also like any leads you may have that could steer me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help in advance!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We are here to help but help us first, please add a location to your profile, it will show up in upper right corner and lastly please share a name. Thanks.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What Chris said, and you landed in the right spot. I purchased mine in 2011 and then found this site. I learned so much the first week, and got a little scared- that I took literally every piece off the car and had it media blasted to be sure the previous owner(s) did not duct tape it together and bondo over it. The problem being many of these cars have really been "mis-managed". If you keep active on the forum, read lots of posts and decide what you're looking for then there are many experts on the site who will help you regardless of what type of e9 you're trying to find. They will also warn you (sometimes rather bluntly) of what cars to stay away from. Look in the cars for sale section on this site for some colorful critiques, but they're not being mean, just honest.

Good luck and don't be shy.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
AL, you're in e9 central! Right place, right site- you can't go wrong. You mentioned "investment", I think you'll find the greatest value in these cars is in driving them! If you find one, use it and have fun then you have already doubled your money!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Al,

if you are looking for investment grade coupes, you will need to make a few important decisions. are you looking for original / matching numbers examples? if so, that tends to be a rare coupe. coupe owners have over the years had a tendency to upgrade and rebuild their coupe the way that they feel BMW should have built them. mods such as a 3.5L engine, 5 speed, etc.

the best investment grade coupe is the CSL, especially the BAT 2 or the original carbed CSL ... followed by the BAT 1 or standard CSL. in all cases the non-citypack versions are probably the best bet. you need to look at the e9 registry and learn what the VIN differences tell you. http://www.e9-driven.com/E9_Vins.asp
The downside of this discussion - the world already knows this and the prices are way up there already. price range - 100k to 250k

the next category is the most complete and most original coupe - with no rust ... or the fully restored coupe (with documented restoration). as you have probably read - our coupes have high risk of developing terminal cancer. alternatively, you can find a non-restored coupe in structurally solid shape and have somebody like coupeking, la jolla independent, the werk shop or Mario at VSR really go thru the car. price range - 75 to 90k+ all in.

a really nice coupe that has been well maintained - 45k to 65k
a decent / solid driver coupe - 30k to 45k

it can take a long time to find the right coupe. best advice - regardless of the price range, have somebody thoroughly review the coupe you think you want to buy ... if you don't get somebody like one of the restorers i mentioned, there are some very good people in your area on this forum. There are some high price companies that deal in coupes - like Hunting Ridge Motors, and a few others. there are also some scary people in California on ebay and other websites like CSi.

good luck - start reading and don't (necessarily) buy the first coupe you see. check out http://www.e9coupe.com/buyers_guide/index.htm
for info on rust prone areas

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Call Mario at VSR1

Mario is the rare beast, an honest car repair/restoration shop. He is a master at BMW's and Porsches, and has restored many, many E9's to perfection. He is likely to know of a car that might fill your needs. In fact, maybe the blue one he has listed on his site is the right one for you. The key thing about Mario and E9's is that he knows all their weaknesses and will be honest with you about any car he recommends. Plus, if you want mods/repairs, he can do them

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mario is the rare beast, an honest car repair/restoration shop. He is a master at BMW's and Porsches, and has restored many, many E9's to perfection. He is likely to know of a car that might fill your needs. In fact, maybe the blue one he has listed on his site is the right one for you. The key thing about Mario and E9's is that he knows all their weaknesses and will be honest with you about any car he recommends. Plus, if you want mods/repairs, he can do them

http://www.vsr1.com/index.php?page=1973-BMW-3-0CS

arporsche

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for all the helpful hints.....I've learned a lot already. I am beginning my hunt and will keep you posted.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

tmason

Reaction score
Pricing seems to be creeping up on the e9's.Good luck in your search welcome to the madness Al.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMHO, don't like the black one- seems pretty solid from the pictures but jacked with interior, and the exterior is a little "teen-ager" looking. For 22K you could get a very similar car and have someone paint racing stripes on it. Also it's an automatic. Keep looking!! :)

Also, and this is definitely going to be contentious, but I think we are overvaluing these cars- sorry, I think 35K is very close to the top unless there has been significant up-grades, turbo (a la SFdon) or something truly special like a true 100 point restoration. (CSL's exempt from this statement since they have an historical significance).

These cars are so beautiful that people fall in love with the body (sound familiar gentlemen?) and then they forget that what's inside is a semi-tempermental, slightly under-powered, often pleasant but often high-maintenance debutante that's prone to wrinkling (rust) and typically in need of frequent face-lifts. So much so that it is wise to maintain another "model" in the garage (or a different apartment if they don't get along).

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peter,

do you REALLY think we are over-valuing these cars??? Ask Stan or Chris what they would sell their cars for. my bet is that both of them would be north of $80k. What do you think Murray's Blumax sold for - i know the asking price was somewhere around $60k (+/- 5k) ... not sure what it sold for. over 2 years ago (prior to price creep), Peter Tackas' ceylon coupe sold for north of $40k, at the same time there were also some pretty coupes that sold in the north of 40k range.

my point is, what was in the low 40k range is now in the mid 50k range. now these cars are significantly better than most of the examples that hit the market. are the cars at Hyman or HuntingRidge motors worth what the asking price is? i dunno, perhaps not ... but if you don't want to wait or spend the time finding a very good car ... then perhaps their even higher prices are worthwhile.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

My sentiments exactly and I've seen a lot of coupes sold privately for well above some of these eBay prices. $35K gets you a starting point that you can drive but it still needs mechanical things sorted over time and will eventually need paint and interior.