Installation Bilstein shock absorbers

JensVdb

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would like to install the rear sub frame of my E9 tomorrow.
I have a question about the rubber(s) that should be used in the shock towers.

Can I use the original rubber with bushing (nr. 10 & 11 picture below) or should I use the rubbers delivered with the Bilstein shock absorber, if so in which order?

Schermafbeelding%202016-12-30%20om%2000.03.49_zps3ohgsizt.png

Schermafbeelding%202016-12-30%20om%2000.07.12_zpsfuzzropk.png

Thanks in advance!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The correct BMW part has the steel sleeve (#10) and the bushing is one piece- not two like what came with the Bilsteins. That will prevent the knock Don speaks of, when the Bilstein rubber pieces get lose, which they will, the shaft of the shock will rattle around in the hole. Not good, that's why BMW used that part :)

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting... The e9 is different from a 2002 in this regard. The Bilstein for an '02 is one bushing with sleeve, as Peter describes the e9 BMW part.

Sorry for the bad advice. Sounds like the OEM bushing is the way to go.

Ed

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jens, That was a really good question though because we all like to put the Bilsteins in our cars and we assume the nice new bushings will be an improvement, as the shocks definitely are. After doing a few of these cars I have recognized how important it is to understand WHY things were done certain ways. Any improvements or non original configurations really have to be thoroughly examined, for example, it would seem that it's easy enough to make door replacement press-board panels and use something a little more substantial until you try to attach the welts and then fit in the wood and then try to close the door flush only to find that there is undue stress on the door latch and the door shuts tight but only catches on the first click and not the first and second, causing an unsafe situation and excessive wind noise. In industrial mechanic terms, I like to look at the assemblies in a linear fashion, looking 5 steps back and 5 steps forward (if that makes any sense). Again, great question!

JensVdb

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for the prompt replies!
I already have the OEM rubbers and bushings from W&N, so this is not the issue.

I asked the question because I already helped to assemble an E9 two years ago with a friend of mine.
We replaced the rear sub frame then with the Bilstein rubbers and washers, but it just doesn't felt right on the mechanical point of view.
As Peter already confirmed I thought the shaft of the Bilstein would just rattle in the big hole of the shock tower.
My friend was convinced that this was the right way, but I wasn't, therefore I asked this question.

I will use the original rubbers and bushings from BMW since this makes more sense to me.
I installed the front sub frame today. Rear sub frame is for tomorrow.

Thanks again guys and the best wishes for next year!

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Strange... the e9 OEM bushing is the same as what came to me when I've put Billies on my 2002s. Don't know why they'd package something different for the Coupes... I would definitely use that BMW part (like the one pictured above)... and yes, they are way too expensive for what they are.

Here's a pic from Blunt's site for a 2002 Bilstein... with BMW-style bushing. He sells the bushing by itself for $43... yikes.

image_proxy

Ed

born2boost

Reaction score
Hi guys... I need some assistance pls... My car came with a set of bilstein shocks but the one rear shock had somehow pushed through the tower and left a gap between shpick mounting and the tower. This caused the shock shaft to rattle in the hole it goes through. I pulled the shock out and can't find any problem. I need to know the correct orientation of the rubbers and washers etc as I think the previous installer didn't get that perfect? My thinking is that the rubber should be a damper between the body and the shock? Why have those cupped plates in between?

Hope this makes sense....

Pls advise

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is the small rubber that came with 2002 shocks sent to me by mistake, the ones I used are much larger. A loose upper mount can knock.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been trying to eliminate a thumping when accelerating. I’ve replaced the center bearing and guibo but still have a slight thumping so I will be sending out the driveshaft for rebalancing. I was wondering if the shock bushing being discussed on the other thread might also contribute to the thumping.

Barry.b

Reaction score
Use the correct Bmw part.
Bilsteins part will give you a loud knock on throttle
12 bucks each. It's important
https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/upper-shock-rubber-for-rear-axle-you-need-2-for-1-car-33-13-11.html
Hi Don
I was trying to fit my bilsteins earlier and I kept just pushing the metal sleeve / bush up out of the rubber part
Is there a trick to aligning them easily ?
Ie should I have the metal sleeve on the new shock or should it be already in the rubber part waiting for the new shock ?
Obviously in the photo the nylock nut and washer are still there , I have those removed before I tried to fit the shock.
I will not be using the stack that came from bilstein in the 2nd photo.

Attachments

• 35B26850-0819-403F-8574-52BAC082AC60.jpeg
    35B26850-0819-403F-8574-52BAC082AC60.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 229C6053-388A-49FB-AFBC-C391C58E469F.jpeg
    229C6053-388A-49FB-AFBC-C391C58E469F.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 52C15957-ACA5-4444-A5D2-ACEB728C91C5.png
    52C15957-ACA5-4444-A5D2-ACEB728C91C5.png
    374.9 KB · Views: 89

Barry.b

Reaction score
Put rubber bushing into fender, push metal sleeve into rubber bushing, install shock from below. Your first pic has a rubber sleeve on the shock, remove that.
Thanks Chris
I will try that.
If the bottom pin was horizontal instead of being angled downwards it would make the job 100 times easier as you could insert the top first then slide the bottom on .
I will try it again this evening
Thanks again !