Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6068854365.html

00h0h_61luVb8Or22_600x450.jpg

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's my friend Jim's car. It's very nice. He has spent lots of time and money bringing it up to that level and it was actually in a museum for a while recently.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Further to the original question -- my first BMW was an e39 540 sport 6 speed. When this car was designed, it was intended to be the successor to the e34 M5; BMW quickly designed the e39 M5 in response to an AMG offering with more power. I've upgraded the brakes, suspension, steering, changed the engine mapping and installed an lsd with different gearing.

While the S62 will rev higher than the M62, on most roads in the US, and even on a shorter more technical track, it is difficult to use that extra kick. On the autobahn, or at VIR, the e39 M5 would be substantially better than a 540.

I agree with Chris that the e39s don't have quite the feel of the e28s (or the e34s). I think this is primarily down to the need to use recirculating ball steering for underhood packaging and the added weight of the e39s. I tend to prefer heavier cars, which is why I went for this one.

Peter -- If you happen to be in the neighborhood sometime, you are welcome to drive mine.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Christopher, Thanks so much for the detailed write up- you will not find me buying one of these without checking with you. I figure that if I keep my eyes and ears open and if it's meant to be then one will cross my path. I love the Euro bumpers and if I'm lucky enough to find one at an affordable price point the bumpers will be one of my first quests- but first things first- Again, thanks- this was really great information you provided.

Peter