My Baby is done... Thanks for all your help!!!!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you're going to ignore good advice, why not just not post?
I feel a clarification is in order. Scott may not see this as he may have already ignored me. ;) But here's what I meant. Scott is evidently a polarizing personality. You either like what he posts, or maybe you don't. You may like the videos he takes, or you're bothered by the idea of them. But as a poster, I feel we have choices and options that can make this a better community. I sometimes choose to send a snippy attempt at a witty post - not always with success. o_O I endeavor to improve. As the OP of this thread, Scott has choices, too. He can defend his practice of posting videos and be burdened with the feedback they garner. A second option is to change the posting style that offers more to the community and, in my opinion, may be more universally enjoyed. And a third option - what I tried to capture in my previous contribution to this thread - is to simply not post. Perhaps I didn't take my own advice - irony. But I don't believe in the ignore function, either. That seems like a cop out. Anyway, hope there's no hard feelings.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I feel a clarification is in order. Scott may not see this as he may have already ignored me. ;) But here's what I meant. Scott is evidently a polarizing personality. You either like what he posts, or maybe you don't. You may like the videos he takes, or you're bothered by the idea of them. But as a poster, I feel we have choices and options that can make this a better community. I sometimes choose to send a snippy attempt at a witty post - not always with success. o_O I endeavor to improve. As the OP of this thread, Scott has choices, too. He can defend his practice of posting videos and be burdened with the feedback they garner. A second option is to change the posting style that offers more to the community and, in my opinion, may be more universally enjoyed. And a third option - what I tried to capture in my previous contribution to this thread - is to simply not post. Perhaps I didn't take my own advice - irony. But I don't believe in the ignore function, either. That seems like a cop out. Anyway, hope there's no hard feelings.
I do not subscribe to your three option list. There are multiple options, not just your three choices.

Sorry if you feel that I have an obligation to follow your three options, otherwise I am “copping out”.

I’m out of here :) good night and goodbye aka option 4- mute/ignore ;)

Last edited:

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
I do not subscribe to your option list. There are multiple options. Sorry if you feel that I have an obligation to follow your three options. I’m out of here :) good night and goodbye
Reading this I’m first confused (@autokunst just said you have options, and options generally imply you CHOOSE one, not subscribe to all three). Next I’m amused because I cant help thinking your response sounds like a character from Mean Girls. You go girl!

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan, Marcos,

Anyway we can just remove this thread? Scott's got an e9, he's part of the group but this is getting old.

Thanks-

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan, Marcos,

Anyway we can just remove this thread? Scott's got an e9, he's part of the group but this is getting old.

Thanks-

Better yet. How about seasoned members move on instead of instructing @scottevest on what he should post or how? @dang is free to delete the thread but I won’t be. Frankly I find it embarrassing, and not for @scottevest.

I have never once asked Kroger to remove the magazines from the checkout line because I didn’t like the content found within, or the author.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Keep the videos coming Scott! Always entertained by them.

For those no likey the thread...well...there are other threads to peruse through as the saying goes.

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since leaving college, I have never found a context where knowledge it the single most important currency ... until this forum. On my island, Scott gets jettisoned in a wooden canoe because I do not appreciate that is why he is here.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Since leaving college, I have never found a context where knowledge it the single most important currency ... until this forum. On my island, Scott gets jettisoned in a wooden canoe because I do not appreciate that is why he is here.

Not everyone is here to gain or share knowledge. Not everyone is here because they wrench on cars. Not everyone drives their car, or even owns an e3/e9. There are no prerequisites to membership on this forum. There are rules that one must
follow and whether you personally like @scottevest or not, he is following said rules.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Getting ready to bring MY Baby in to swap my winter tires. Here's my list. If you have any input, let me know and thanks.

• install/fix eBrake - I bought new cables
  • Deal with alternator issue,
    • why i have to turn key multiple times
    • Red light comes on when I start
    • This is what was sent before: Driving with the red light on means the alternator is not charging the battery sufficiently and you will drain your battery. With the multimeter set on 20V you should see a little over 14 volts on your meter with the motor running, if less it is not producing enough output. With the motor off you should see 12.6V on the battery. Check whether the belt is tight. Within a certain range, the alternator will work, but be less efficient. The second thing, assuming the belt is tight, would be to replace the voltage regulator. These are inexpensive and simple to replace.
  • Disconnect clock; is not working, but drawing power and making noise
  • New boot for shifter - I can't believe what a mess has been made of this. Looks like they drilled holes- i covered one with tape, and not sure there is much I can/should do about the other 2 screws, but would love to figure out how to get the leather boot to attach properly... I think this just take attentiuon.
  • 1645463552054.png

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Getting ready to bring MY Baby in to swap my winter tires. Here's my list. If you have any input, let me know and thanks.

• install/fix eBrake - I bought new cables
  • Deal with alternator issue,
    • why i have to turn key multiple times
    • Red light comes on when I start
    • This is what was sent before: Driving with the red light on means the alternator is not charging the battery sufficiently and you will drain your battery. With the multimeter set on 20V you should see a little over 14 volts on your meter with the motor running, if less it is not producing enough output. With the motor off you should see 12.6V on the battery. Check whether the belt is tight. Within a certain range, the alternator will work, but be less efficient. The second thing, assuming the belt is tight, would be to replace the voltage regulator. These are inexpensive and simple to replace.
  • Disconnect clock; is not working, but drawing power and making noise
  • New boot for shifter - I can't believe what a mess has been made of this. Looks like they drilled holes- i covered one with tape, and not sure there is much I can/should do about the other 2 screws, but would love to figure out how to get the leather boot to attach properly... I think this just take attentiuon.
Here are my inputs:
1 - Do the Paul Cain ebrake handle upgrade if you have not already.
2 - Alternator seems different than turning key multiple times. Alternator suggestions are good.
3 - Clock can be fixed I think.
4 - Have a beautiful boot for shifter made by DQ available, it is for non A/C so you would have to cut it a bit one side.

Last edited:

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
the problem with the clock is getting it out and back in
mine was not working, I found from searching this site that there is an internal fuse, a bit of solder that fails
I took mine to a computer repair shop and had it resoldered

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are my inputs:
1 - Do the Paul Cain ebrake handle upgrade if you have not already.
Do you have a link where I can buy?
2 - Alternator seems different than turning key multiple times. Alternator suggestions are good.
thanks. I didn't know if related. The turning key multiple times is odd. It ALWAYS starts, but often takes several tries.
3 - Clock can be fixed I think.
I think so too. It worked at one time, then stopped. Not sure why, but now it is making noises and just draining battery
4 - Have a beautiful boot for shifter made by DQ available, it is for non A/C so you would have to cut it a bit one side.
link?
Thanks. see my inline questions.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Paul Cain upgrade - https://shop.coupeking.com/products/the-paul-cain-handbrake-upgrade-02-cs-e3
You may need a new starter if you turn the key and nothing happens for a few seconds then it engages. Bosche SL441 I think
Alternator - OEM was 45 - 50 amp, if you are pushing power to many electronics that were not standards, such as powerful radio amp, Hella lights, driving/fog lights you might benefit from a rebuilt alternator with higher (70 -80amp) capacity

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
May need a new “lock set” from Walloth-Nesch if your key rotates & doesn’t start the car or you have to push in the key to get it to start.

Red E light & Yellow O light are meant to be on when starting. They should go out in 3 seconds after starting the car.

Palo Alto Speedometer can fix the clock & convert to a quartz movement.

An good upholsterer should be able to make a new shift boot using yours as a pattern.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
You may have done this earlier, but can you explain what you mean by...

"Deal with alternator issue,
  • why i have to turn key multiple times"
yes. Basically, I have to turn key several times before car will turn over. It makes no noise on first effort, second effort, then turns over normally on 3rd or 4th effort.