NEED: clock

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
i am down to a very short list of things i need to fix on my coupe.
the seatbelt on the passenger doesn't properly recoil and has the old style clip. any thoughts on how to replace?
also, my clock and trip odometer don't work. not sure if they can get refurbished or not.
lastly, the sunroof motor i think needs to be refurbished or replaced.

otherwise, car is running like a champ.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't buy another used clock. Get the one you have repaired.

Lots of outfits can do this.

OK. I assume there is a thread somewhere here on how to remove and repair clocks. I will start searching. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
About to send my clock in to get quartz movement per below. Is this best solution? Also, trip odometer not working. Not sure if worth fixing.

The cost to install a new VDO quartz movement into your E9 clock is $398.00 + shipping, and the turn around time is about 3 weeks.

Palo Alto Speedometer, Inc.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

I have a full set of instruments from a '74. I haven't checked the 'performance' of the clock. Let me know if you would be interested if it works well.

Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was advised that I may not need new seatbelts all together but rather just the cleaning of the recoil function
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott -- I would change the webbing in your seat belts. The useful life of the material originally used in our cars was 25 years.

jmackro

Reaction score
Back to clocks. The first question is whether your clock is an early or late type. The early ones use a solenoid to periodically wind a spring, while the later ones are quartz (and say "quartz" on the face). The early ones have the fuseable link that eriknetherlands references in post #14. The quartz models are probably more accurate/reliable.

Before committing to Palo Alto Speedometer, you might get a quote from North Hollywood or some of the other gauge repair services.

scottevest said:
My Clock is not working and I had assumed that it is defective but I suppose it could be some wiring issue as well

It could be the wiring, but most likely it is the clock itself. Still, do check that the clock is getting power and is well-grounded. You don't want to spend $400 rebuilding your clock, only to find that it still doesn't work!

gwittman

Reaction score
Sometimes, all it takes is cleaning of the contacts that activate the spring rewind. Some fine sandpaper remove the oxide layer very nicely.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The one I have is quartz. I connected it to a battery today, and for the last 8 hours it has kept perfect time. Left it connected, so I'll know about a longer period soon.

Gary

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another idea is to get another alt/fuel/idiot light gauge and convert it to Oil Pressure and Volt meters and not have a clock