No Bumpers?

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just curious...does anyone run their E3 without the front bumper? I have my car in 1000 pieces and was looking at how nice the nose looked without the bumper on. Any good pics? I couldn't find much on Google..

Great lines, right?? I've got her sanded down about 30% since this pic... Slowly working my way towards paint..slowly..
BavNose.jpg

J.B.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I removed my front bumper and added an air dam similar to the photos above. Looks great but you have to be very aware of speed bumps and parking lot stops in order not to damage said air dam.I tried loading photos but my files are to big. Shoot me your email and I'll send you some pics..

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! I'm not really a big front spoiler kinda guy, but those look really nice! May see about running without the bumper for a bit...that is, whenever I get this thing done...next year, maybe..:-(

jmackro

Reaction score
Isn't it illegal in some states to not have bumpers?

I'm sure it is, though California doesn't care. As long as your vehicle meets emissions requirements, you're good. Even fenders are optional here.

Insurance companies might not honor a claim on a bumperless car however.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Actually, when I had my 02' with diving board bumpers, I used to go without the front one and got a ticket once in Hollywood...I think it was from parking enforcement...pffft...

jmackro

Reaction score
I used to go without the front one and got a ticket once in Hollywood...I think it was from parking enforcement.

Had you removed the front license plate as well as the front bumper? The meter maid was probably annoyed that he/she had to walk all the way to the back of your 2002 (and you know how long they are) to read the rear plate.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well one can argue that the bumper will be of little help in an impact anyway.

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Had you removed the front license plate as well as the front bumper? The meter maid was probably annoyed that he/she had to walk all the way to the back of your 2002 (and you know how long they are) to read the rear plate.
Yeah, good point. It was probably the lack of plate and the long walk! Lol

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Plenty of people remove the front bumper but 99% of the time they have a front air dam when they do that. I like it with and without the bumper/air dam. Personally I like having the bumper and front air dam. It's not a race car so the added weight doesn't bother me and tiny bit of added protection outweighs not having one. It's your car, do what you want. I don't think it would look good bumperless, no air dam.