Odometer issue

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My Odometer does not work. When I turn the trip odometer to reset it to 0 one turn around not only changes the trip odometer but adds one mile to the odmeter. I am wondering if I turn the trip odometer enough, to actual miles, the odometer will work?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your gears are worn and slipping. Does speedo give a good speed reading? I have a rebuilder who can calibrate speed and odometer.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes speedometer works fine. Do you think "winding it up" will do nothing? SF Don had recommended Palo Alto Speedometer in another posting and if they are still in business is close to my house.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are some very helpful tutorials on this site that will allow you to complete the repairs yourself if you are interested.

The second link includes a source for a replacement odometer drive gears.

The problem is that the drive gear is no longer affixed to the axle that supports all the rotors. I fixed mine using the information in the link above, by knurling (roughing up) the axle or the gear so that it had a fresh bite. Now works well.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes speedometer works fine. Do you think "winding it up" will do nothing? SF Don had recommended Palo Alto Speedometer in another posting and if they are still in business is close to my house.
The quote from Palo Alto might surprise you and turn around might be long.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I encourage you to take on the project and repair yourself. A little patience and a $30 plastic gear will take care of the problem.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Removing the bezels is a challenge, I found that a small metal pick and smal screwdriver are good tools to start with. I also used a wood dowel (possibly a chop stick) to open the bezel sufficiently to slide it over the gauge housing. Goes back together well and as noted, not visible once reinstalled.

I found the project to be satisfying and not terribly difficult.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
N Hollywood Speedometer is very good. Hi quality gears can be had from Speedometer Gears .com His gears are very hi end as they are machined, not molded. Jeff is great and if you need, he will spend time on the phone and walk you trough the process

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will move this one to the back burner, have a few more projects ahead of it. Was just hoping spinning the trip meter would fix it. No one ever did answer why turning the trip meter moves the odometer?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will move this one to the back burner, have a few more projects ahead of it. Was just hoping spinning the trip meter would fix it. No one ever did answer why turning the trip meter moves the odometer?
Because it is broken inside somewhere.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
odo-fix.jpg