Philippe from Belgium

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My name is Philippe, I'm, 52, living in Belgium with wife, two children, dog, cat and a few cars. Since this year 2 E9's ended up in my garage. Since you guys are partially to blame :wink: for this I thought I introduce myself and the cars.

After studying the E9's subject for over a year I decided that I absolutely needed to look for a restored example for the simple reason that I don't have the skills nor the facility to restore a car myself.

I only wanted one E9 and was looking for a well documented restoration. In the end I ended up with two. After buying the '71 Cs the seller made me a "special" offer if I also bought his '72 Csi. Still not sure if that was a wise decision taken in to account my very limited experience with these cars but 7 months after the purchase I'm still able to take care of both of them.

So without further delay here is the 3.0 Cs. Original delivered to Switzerland, matching numbers, lots of documentation and I managed to get in to contact with the original , now 80 year old, first owner who provided me with some snapshots out of the family album.

Attachments

• cs 3 1fm.jpg
    cs 3 1fm.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 315
  • cs 3 2fm.jpg
    cs 3 2fm.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 300
  • cs 3 4fm.jpg
    cs 3 4fm.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 292

Philippe db

Reaction score
A few more picture of the Cs

Attachments

• cs 3 6fm.jpg
    cs 3 6fm.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 282
  • cs 3 2fm.jpg
    cs 3 2fm.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 279
  • cs 3 7fm.jpg
    cs 3 7fm.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 275
  • Motor Cs.jpg
    Motor Cs.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 274

Philippe db

Reaction score
And here is the Csi. Build in '72 and original delivered to BMW Munich. Also completely rebuild but sadly the car is not a matching number and the original color "Inka" was changed to Polaris.:sad: A great driver but oh so different compared to the much more civilised Cs.

Attachments

• B 1 for mail.jpg
    B 1 for mail.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 262
  • b 2 for mail.jpg
    b 2 for mail.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 256
  • Dash L.jpg
    Dash L.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 268
  • Dash r.jpg
    Dash r.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 253

Philippe db

Reaction score
and e few more

Attachments

• Engine 1.jpg
    Engine 1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 261
  • Engine 2.jpg
    Engine 2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 261
  • Interieur l.jpg
    Interieur l.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 237
  • logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 244

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i can only say, wow, you are my personal idol,
i will not ask you about the price tag
your only penitence is to keep two coupes in the same colour,
that relieves me a bit, i am so enviousssssss8)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fantastic. You should take a trip to Switzerland and give the original owner a ride!

JensVdb

Reaction score
Prachtige exemplaren! :shock:
Uit welke streek ben je juist?
Hoop dat mijn E9 er op een dag ook zo zal uit zien :roll:

---------

Beautiful cars! :shock:
Where do you live in Belgium?
Hope one day my E9 will look like this. :roll:

Philippe db

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Jens I'm living near Leuven, and Stan they already are registered over here. It's via the registry that I found this site.

Here are the Vins

Cs 2211441
Csi 2262491

Last edited:

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Two beautiful cars! In what way are the two different to drive besides the 20 extra horsepower?

Philippe db

Reaction score
Two beautiful cars! In what way are the two different to drive besides the 20 extra horsepower?

Hi Strato,

Well the Cs IMO is stock. The engine was completely rebuild but on the test bank it only had an output of 170HP and 262nm of torque. I can imagine that the Zenith's are partially to blame here. The suspension is rather soft and the steering, with its big original steering wheel, very smooth and soft.

The Csi is completely different. The engine has an output of 222HP and produced 309 nm of torque. Suspension is a lot harder as is the steering feeling that is harder and much more direct. Here the engine also was rebuild but I'm still trying to figure out which M30 they put in to this car. Below a picture were you can see the 3.0/3.3 nomination on the left flank. I think this either is an M30B32 or an M30B33 block but I gladly stand corrected if it isn't.

Attachments

• motor 1 for mail.jpg
    motor 1 for mail.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wonder how many of us exclaimed, "WOW" at the first picture. By a factor of 10.

Fraternal Twins!!

Ski coach

Deceased
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Philippe, you have made the grandest entry into E9 ownership I can imagine. Well done!! I admire a man who goes all in.
Chris

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Strato,

Well the Cs IMO is stock. The engine was completely rebuild but on the test bank it only had an output of 170HP and 262nm of torque. I can imagine that the Zenith's are partially to blame here. The suspension is rather soft and the steering, with its big original steering wheel, very smooth and soft.

The Csi is completely different. The engine has an output of 222HP and produced 309 nm of torque. Suspension is a lot harder as is the steering feeling that is harder and much more direct. Here the engine also was rebuild but I'm still trying to figure out which M30 they put in to this car. Below a picture were you can see the 3.0/3.3 nomination on the left flank. I think this either is an M30B32 or an M30B33 block but I gladly stand corrected if it isn't.

50 extra HP..that explains it! I have a 40cm Petri in my car and just for fun I put in a 36cm Italvolanti. Definitely a different feel to the car. It looks like you have a 38?

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Strato,

It indeed is a 38.

The Cs is a cruiser, it picks up speed smoothly from 1300rpm and you never feel like you're in a hurry. The Csi is the opposite you always want to push the throttle pedal a little deeper and hitting the 200km/h mark in a 43 year old car kind of puts a smile on your face. For sure the first BMW "M" without the badge.:wink:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Strato,

It indeed is a 38.

The Cs is a cruiser, it picks up speed smoothly from 1300rpm and you never feel like you're in a hurry. The Csi is the opposite you always want to push the throttle pedal a little deeper and hitting the 200km/h mark in a 43 year old car kind of puts a smile on your face. For sure the first BMW "M" without the badge.:wink:

other than expression of the maximum respect to your cars will make no sense, the PO did an excellent work of those engine bays, but i would love to check what you said about the CS performance, my CS is stock too and fueled through zeniths, but the description coincides with that of your CSi...!!!

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Quincey,

Well until now I only have my 2 cars to compare. Certainly something I have on my wish list: drive other E9's to compare the driving experiences.