Re; CS ...Was ist das ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I love this image of the restored car at the BMW Welt for the new car delivery experience. Take a look at the original fiberboard front valance under the radiator. It dangling so low. It is no wonder this part never survived.

i remember this happened long ago, maybe 2010 ?
i was there talking to the people that were doing the restoration, in their actual workshop
the cost of the restoration was close to 100.000€ and it was 2010 !!! even taillights were available at a price of 380€/side

as to the fiberboard it seems to be a double image, the lower one is a shadow IMHO
surprised to see it fitted with silver color screws (very shiny)

Christoph

Reaction score
The nomenclature for the cars I grew up with is that the more letters the better, with some intuitive associations:
@Arde and others mentioned something really important: letters may have more than one meaning. If not, marketing departments would be reduced to 26 attributes. Imagine all car manufacturers agreeing over 26 abbreviations. Sounds funny. This is not to talk me out of a bad situation.
Last night I looked at some files, books and else for fun. Hope you like it.

A - Aerodinamica, Alleggerita, Anteriore, Alfieri, Automatik/Automatique, Alpine, Alberi
B - Berlinette/Berlinetta, Brown, Berline/Berlina, Buick, Boxer
C - Coupé, Cabriolet, Cilindri, Camshaft, Carburettors/Carburatori, Carro, Compression, Competizione, Corsa
D - David, Development, Drop, Diesel, Drauz
E - E-Type, Einspritzanlage, Elettro, Electronique, Export, Entwicklung
F - Facel, Fixed/Fissa, Formula, Fastback, Front
G - Grand/Gran, Ghisa, Gordini
H - Head, High
I - Inter/Internazionale, Injection/Iniezione, Iso, Independente
J - Junior
K - Karmann, Kurz/Kurzheck
L - Lang/Lungo, Leicht/Légère, Luxus/Luxe/Lusso, Longitudinale, Linguette, Low
M - Maggorita, Motorsport, Meisterstück, Monoposto, Moskwa, Modificata, Motor, Monza
N - ?
O - Omologata, Open, Oro
P - Project, Posteriore, Personenkraftwagen/Personvagn, Petrol, Prototipo, Porte
Q - Quadrifoglio
R - Racing, Renovata, Radiale, Rivolta, Rulli, Riportata, Renault, Rossa, Roadholding
S - Super, Sport, S-Type, Seater, Spider/Spyder, Single, Sverige, Sondermotor
T - Tourisme/Turismo, Tubolare, Twin, Transversale, Testa, Two, Trazione, Tatra
U - ?
V - Veloce, V-engine, Vega, Valvole, Verde
W - Wagen, Weiterentwicklung
X - Extra, X-Drive
Y - ?
Z - Zagato

No modern cars. Two or more letter codes were mostly omitted. If you like to know where I found what please ask quickly. Probably won't remember things for long.

Christoph

Reaction score
but Golf was GTI
Maybe even more @Breiti , although you know perfectly well: It was strange in Germany, the E and I thing.
E (Einspritzung) were Audi, Mercedes and Opel.
I (Injection) were BMW, Ford and Volkswagen.
Opel changed to the I about 1985, Porsche never played the game.

Christoph

Reaction score
One might get away with this at a Cars and Coffee standing next to a Chevy Camaro. But certainly not in this E9 Forum.
You had me for one second. Until you mentioned Ferrari. The "S'' in Ferrari nomenclature is for Spyder, not Super.
I have very nice memories of the Camaro. Across the street from my parents (and me, then) lived US Forces officers with their families, one at a time. The very last of them (uniform) and I (long-haired) got along really well. This gentleman had a blue IROC-Z he dearly loved.

Now for the S at Ferrari. You are right, but you are not the only one. The S may stand for Spyder, Sport or Super.
Sport - 275S, 195S, 225S etc. (early 50s); Dino 206S, 296S, 196S etc. (late 50s); Prototypes 246 SP, 196 SP etc. (61-62); all racing cars.
Spyder - Goes without saying.
Super - 410SA, 400SA, 500SF; Superamerica or Superfast.
On early Ferraris the Chassis numbers often bore suffixes, approximately up to 9000 for odd and 800 for even numbers.
Road cars (odd) 166 Inter & 195 Inter had an S.
Competition cars (even) 166MM & 195S had an M.
Superamerica models got an SA, the 500 Superfast an SF.
Probably the only Spyder models with suffixes were the 250 GT California Spyders, they got a GT.
Pardon me for this, it was the one opportunity to put one of my favourite books to good use: "The Complete Ferrari" by Godfrey Eaton. Bought it new for a princely sum when I was still in school.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have very nice memories of the Camaro. Across the street from my parents (and me, then) lived US Forces officers with their families, one at a time. The very last of them (uniform) and I (long-haired) got along really well. This gentleman had a blue IROC-Z he dearly loved.

Now for the S at Ferrari. You are right, but you are not the only one. The S may stand for Spyder, Sport or Super.
Sport - 275S, 195S, 225S etc. (early 50s); Dino 206S, 296S, 196S etc. (late 50s); Prototypes 246 SP, 196 SP etc. (61-62); all racing cars.
Spyder - Goes without saying.
Super - 410SA, 400SA, 500SF; Superamerica or Superfast.
On early Ferraris the Chassis numbers often bore suffixes, approximately up to 9000 for odd and 800 for even numbers.
Road cars (odd) 166 Inter & 195 Inter had an S.
Competition cars (even) 166MM & 195S had an M.
Superamerica models got an SA, the 500 Superfast an SF.
Probably the only Spyder models with suffixes were the 250 GT California Spyders, they got a GT.
Pardon me for this, it was the one opportunity to put one of my favourite books to good use: "The Complete Ferrari" by Godfrey Eaton. Bought it new for a princely sum when I was still in school.

Thank you very much for such an interesting digression, but I have bet against my friend and in your favor in relation to "s=super", so now I need data,
please help me or i will have to pay the dinner

Christoph

Reaction score
Do these count for a start? The Canadians here are professionals, unlikely they invented the terms "3.0 Super" and "3000CS". They must have read them somewhere. Equally unlikely these two terms were only used in French language literature.
Obvious lack of accuracy: there were no 3.0, Super or not, in 1969 or 1970. Maybe this won't destroy the credibility of the rest.
Will look for more. @deQuincey : Good luck for sure. Should this not convince your friend, best choose a good restaurant. A great dinner will be remembered long after the price is forgotten.
pare-brise1.jpg

pare-brise2.jpg