removing rear seats

3.0CSi

Reaction score
Well, if it is like the '75 CSi (which i'm shure it is) just pull them by their lower limit while pushing down the top.

(I hope it's understandable)

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
3.0 CSi's procedure is correct. There are two L shaped brackets that are welded to the body (one for each seat) that 'interlocks' with a slot on the back of the fibreglass seat frame. This is the only device that is holding each seat in place. Grasp the seat bottom, lift up slightly and push down from top of seat back. This will disengage the seat from the body bracket, do this gently as you don't want to break the brittle seat back fibreglass.

When refitting the seats, make sure you insert the seat back slots into the body brackets. Make sure you do this as you the seats will look seated even without the 'interlocks'. Pull from top of seat, if it is installed properly, seat will not pull out. If not, during a emergency panic braking, the whole rear seats with it's contents or passengers can be thrown forward dangerously.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

inmantua1

Reaction score
ok they came out easy. But i cannot get them back in. I understand that the slit in the fiberglass needs to slide under the L shaped metal but i cannot get it far back enough to slide under. anyone have any suggestions?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just keep on playing with it, it'll eventually go in. It maybe a good idea to get the safety belts out of the way when doing it. Tilt the seat back at a steep angle like 45 degrees to engage slot and L bracket.

Wiscosh

Reaction score
My seats just lift out. There are no L shape brackets. Can someone send a picture of what they look like in place? I'd like to get some fabricated.

Mauler

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here ya go:

DSC02563.jpg

DSC02564.jpg

Back of seat
DSC02565.jpg

jmackro

Reaction score
If not, during a emergency panic braking, the whole rear seats with it's contents or passengers can be thrown forward dangerously.

Well, hang on, it's not that dire:

- Yes, if the seats are empty, they could come out in a front end collision, potentially clobbering the front seat passengers. That would be dangerous.

- But if your passengers are belted in, the rear seats aren't going anywhere in a collision.

- Contents (e.g., stuff) lying on the seat is going to go flying in a crash regardless of whether the seat is secured or not.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, hang on, it's not that dire:

- Yes, if the seats are empty, they could come out in a front end collision, potentially clobbering the front seat passengers. That would be dangerous.

- But if your passengers are belted in, the rear seats aren't going anywhere in a collision.

- Contents (e.g., stuff) lying on the seat is going to go flying in a crash regardless of whether the seat is secured or not.

Correct. Modern day child booster seats work the same way. While they do include LATCH clips, they are only to keep the empty seat from flying. The weight of the child and the lap belt is what keeps the seat in place during a collision or hard stop.

http://csftl.org/latchable-boosters/