Renovating my garage. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mine has a dumbwaiter for sending groceries up to the kitchen.
DQ built a contraption for holding tools above the engine bay while you are working on the car.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

i would pattern the back wall to reflect the pattern of the garage door - same size of glass / framework. i would caution you about mirror, when you drive in with headlights on its going to be blinding. mirror also breaks if something falls into it or its bumped. maybe stainless steel set in the same framework ... that would also look good with raw concrete pilasters. whatever you do on that wall, electrical outlets are going to look awkward - very hard to set in glass / mirror. if the tv is mounted in front of mirror it will also reflect the back side. i would rethink the idea of tons of mirrors. tv's - instead of 2 ... think videowall. samsung has some interesting plug + play videowall stuff. i like the red wall, but think about creating panels and finishing them with autobody paint. lighting - recess the lighting + speakers into the finished ceiling

overall you have too many ideas - you need to edit them down ... significantly. that's my biggest professional opinion.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

My first comment would be, there must be a bunch of margin in selling clothing with hidden compartments. :) Second comment or question, where does your coupe go?

Your garage pretty cool the way it is now. I would leave the garage doors for sure, they look perfect with the modern style of your house and they let light in. Second, I'd leave the floors alone, why put any more money into something that's going to get wear throughout the years. Forget the mirror idea, I'd leave the concrete pillars alone like Scott suggested but paint the concrete behind matte black or dark grey then litter those walls with cool automotive art.

Again, what you've done so far is really nice. Just finish it off but don't go overboard. You're going to need that money for your first service on your FF. :)

Last edited:

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

My first comment would be, there must be a bunch of margin in selling clothing with hidden compartments. :) Second comment or question, where does your coupe go?

Your garage pretty cool the way it is now. I would leave the garage doors for sure, they look perfect with modern style of your house and they let light in. Second, I'd leave the floors alone, why put any more money into something that's going to get wear throughout the years. Forget the mirror idea. I'd leave the concrete pillars along like Scott suggested but paint the concrete behind matte black or dark grey then litter those walls with cool automotive art.

Again, what you've done so far is really nice. Just finish it off but don't go overboard. You're going to need that money for your first service on your FF. :)

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for showing the garage and your video. Looks like a great start to a nice space.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with what you have? Is it a place to hang out? Do 'work'? Clean the cars or store things...??? After seeing the video -not really sure. These spaces can be many things all at once. That is what I am trying to do with my space. See below...

I am fortunate to have a 3,600sf shop (with additional loft space) behind my house. While the building was finished on the outside, it was pretty bare on the inside (and non-insulated). The first few weeks after moving I had many 'sit and stare' evenings out there looking out at my unfinished space figuring out what I wanted to do with it. I'm still kind of figuring out details. Time for another beer. LOL

I have enclosed a couple of pics showing what it was to begin with - a pole building that while looked finished from the outside, was a blank slate on the inside.
There are also a couple of pics showing it later after I insulated and closed out the space. It is still a work in progress in many respects.

Now five years later - LOTS of work completed. I put in a glass garage door in the center of the loft. At the same time, I installed a wall with windows straddling the garage door (with the windows made to look like extensions of the glass from the door). I have installed flooring and made it a nice space up there. That will be my office/stereo/AV room along with a spare bedroom & storage along the back.

In the main bay, I closed off the ceiling to help clean up the look (and make it easier to heat). There was already a gas furnace for the main shop but I added a mini-split for the loft so it could help keep things comfortable both in winter and summer. Summers were NOT pleasant originally. Much nicer now.

I have an industrial air compressor and several hose reels so I can do whatever I want pretty much all over.
The lighting is not new. It is fluorescent 8' industrial HO set up from the late 1990's when the building was originally completed. I will probably switch to LED at some point in the future as it is getting harder to get the bulbs (and more $$ to boot).
When I closed the walls, I installed wiring to allow the signs to be switched separately from the ceiling lights. I also put in a bunch of LED ceiling lights and accent lights up in the loft (sorry - no pics of that part of things).

The loft is just now finished (within the last couple of months) so I will be moving a bunch of 'stuff' up there (I have an electric lift that will greatly help with that).
I also have an electric fork lift to get big/heavy things up to the loft. I picked that up on auction and is awesome to have for my needs. I'll be using that machine a great deal now that I'll be moving into the loft. I will park it under the garage door and use it like an elevator (you can ride up and down with the load - pretty slick)

It really depends on what you plan to do there - You don't have a tremendous amount of room - but you can make some mulit-use areas that allow both summer/winter - work/play activities to go on...

Attachments

• IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20221120_175617.jpg
    20221120_175617.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 55
  • 20221120_175602.jpg
    20221120_175602.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for showing the garage and your video. Looks like a great start to a nice space.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with what you have? Is it a place to hang out? Do 'work'? Clean the cars or store things...??? After seeing the video -not really sure. These spaces can be many things all at once. That is what I am trying to do with my space. See below...

I am fortunate to have a 3,600sf shop (with additional loft space) behind my house. While the building was finished on the outside, it was pretty bare on the inside (and non-insulated). The first few weeks after moving I had many 'sit and stare' evenings out there looking out at my unfinished space figuring out what I wanted to do with it. I'm still kind of figuring out details. Time for another beer. LOL

I have enclosed a couple of pics showing what it was to begin with - a pole building that while looked finished from the outside, was a blank slate on the inside.
There are also a couple of pics showing it later after I insulated and closed out the space. It is still a work in progress in many respects.

Now five years later - LOTS of work completed. I put in a glass garage door in the center of the loft. At the same time, I installed a wall with windows straddling the garage door (with the windows made to look like extensions of the glass from the door). I have installed flooring and made it a nice space up there. That will be my office/stereo/AV room along with a spare bedroom & storage along the back.

In the main bay, I closed off the ceiling to help clean up the look (and make it easier to heat). There was already a gas furnace for the main shop but I added a mini-split for the loft so it could help keep things comfortable both in winter and summer. Summers were NOT pleasant originally. Much nicer now.

I have an industrial air compressor and several hose reels so I can do whatever I want pretty much all over.
The lighting is not new. It is fluorescent 8' industrial HO set up from the late 1990's when the building was originally completed. I will probably switch to LED at some point in the future as it is getting harder to get the bulbs (and more $$ to boot).
When I closed the walls, I installed wiring to allow the signs to be switched separately from the ceiling lights. I also put in a bunch of LED ceiling lights and accent lights up in the loft (sorry - no pics of that part of things).

The loft is just now finished (within the last couple of months) so I will be moving a bunch of 'stuff' up there (I have an electric lift that will greatly help with that).
I also have an electric fork lift to get big/heavy things up to the loft. I picked that up on auction and is awesome to have for my needs. I'll be using that machine a great deal now that I'll be moving into the loft. I will park it under the garage door and use it like an elevator (you can ride up and down with the load - pretty slick)

It really depends on what you plan to do there - You don't have a tremendous amount of room - but you can make some mulit-use areas that allow both summer/winter - work/play activities to go on...

Damn!! So jealous!!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score

OMG. Amazing. Great ideas. Yea, I think I need some sitting and staring time, and contemplating things. I don’t wrench on my cars, but love to clean them, and watching TV or listening to music while hanging out. I suspect I will do this project in stages. Some lights go in today, which should help. Mirrors soon.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Scott,

Your garage pretty cool the way it is now. I would leave the garage doors for sure, they look perfect with the modern style of your house and they let light in. Second, I'd leave the floors alone, why put any more money into something that's going to get wear throughout the years. Forget the mirror idea, I'd leave the concrete pillars alone like Scott suggested but paint the concrete behind matte black or dark grey then litter those walls with cool automotive art.

Thanks. The BMW is temporarily outside under carport and cover, but usually lives in the garage, although I love the contrast of the two white cars with black floor and surroundings. I do like the concrete walls, and will consider your idea of car art, although I feel some mirrors would be cool, especially in the nook area, and one big mirror in front of each car too, but not sure yet. The service is not as expensive on the Ferrari as you would think, although an oil change is $800. It has free service for 7 years which is now just expiring, and I have a full extended warranty for another year. I put 22k miles on it in less than a year. So much fun. It is a GTC4Lusso, not FF, btw.

Thanks again.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

i would pattern the back wall to reflect the pattern of the garage door - same size of glass / framework. i would caution you about mirror, when you drive in with headlights on its going to be blinding. mirror also breaks if something falls into it or its bumped. maybe stainless steel set in the same framework ... that would also look good with raw concrete pilasters. whatever you do on that wall, electrical outlets are going to look awkward - very hard to set in glass / mirror. if the tv is mounted in front of mirror it will also reflect the back side. i would rethink the idea of tons of mirrors. tv's - instead of 2 ... think videowall. samsung has some interesting plug + play videowall stuff. i like the red wall, but think about creating panels and finishing them with autobody paint. lighting - recess the lighting + speakers into the finished ceiling

overall you have too many ideas - you need to edit them down ... significantly. that's my biggest professional opinion.
Good thoughts. Electrical outlets are easily relocated, and I rarely drive at night, so not worried about the headlights blinding me, but all good thoughts and much appreciated.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You are going in a much different direction than I did, but I have two comments. First, consider the color as well as the intensity of your lighting. I dislike the harsh blue lighting usually recommended for garage and warehouse spaces, and went with a warmer more yellow lighting similar to what you find inside most homes.

Second, you are setting up a poor listening environment. Cement and glass and metal are highly reflective, so your ears will be receiving reflected sound not intended by the artist along with the sounds the artist intended. You need to add some sound deadening materials (clouds hung from the ceiling, mats on the floors, etc,) particularly in large expanses of flat reflective surfaces. Your mirror wall will be a nightmare from a sound management perspective.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
You are going in a much different direction than I did, but I have two comments. First, consider the color as well as the intensity of your lighting. I dislike the harsh blue lighting usually recommended for garage and warehouse spaces, and went with a warmer more yellow lighting similar to what you find inside most homes.

Second, you are setting up a poor listening environment. Cement and glass and metal are highly reflective, so your ears will be receiving reflected sound not intended by the artist along with the sounds the artist intended. You need to add some sound deadening materials (clouds hung from the ceiling, mats on the floors, etc,) particularly in large expanses of flat reflective surfaces. Your mirror wall will be a nightmare from a sound management perspective.
All great input. The LED lights in the ceiling I am getting are going to be dimmable to address some of your concerns. I don’t want it to be like an operating room or warehouse all the time but when cleaning the cars it would be nice. Good points about the music.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
If you want to make it a 'hang out space with cars' but also a cleaning space, I'd suggest a few things:

1. If you want it to be a social space, I'd suggest a small bar against the wall. You already covered the sofa in the video.
2. Switch to a Liftmaster wall-mounted door opener to free up the ceiling space. It would clear the space for the lights you want.
3. To go with your cleaning supplies, perhaps a washer/dryer combo for any cleaning cloths?
4. That floor looks really shiny and smooth, how easy is it to slip when wet? Other painted/treated concrete surfaces I've experienced turn very tricky when wet, and if you're cleaning frequently, I figure you'd want more grip, lest you take a nasty fall.
5. Perhaps some additional drainage? One center drain, depending on the grade, could lead to pooling, which can lead to cleaning the floor more often. You could do a subtle strip drain by the door threshold and have a slight grade on the garage floor to prevent puddles.
6. vs all the mirrors, what if you focus the room on the cars via lighting? Keep the other corners dim, or with highly local lighting, that way all the light (and reflected light) comes from the cars. Think like an art museum. Plus it would probably make it a more relaxing place to chill, as all the constant movement in the mirrors in your peripheral vision tends to put people on edge.

1711870471702.png

x_atlas0

Reaction score
First off, in the light of the morning, I apologize if I came off as rude or demanding in the previous post, it was not my intention. They are all merely suggestions based on my analysis of your goals and the current state of the space as shown in the video.

Second, What do you want to do with the roof accessories for the Lusso? Do you want to keep skis/boards/other things in the garage or upstairs? Since you have an elevator you have the freedom to easily put those things where you want. If you want to keep them in the garage, then perhaps dedicating part of a wall for that could serve both as storage and as a talking point for any social events. Again, not sure if you want this to be a multi-person social space, your fortress of solitude, or a mix of both.

Love the Lusso, by the way. Easily my favorite (plus the FF) Ferrari of the last 20 years. I keep waiting for the prices to come down and they just don't. At this point I'm thinking of getting s Stagea 260RS instead, at least I can afford that kind of toy.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
First off, in the light of the morning, I apologize if I came off as rude or demanding in the previous post, it was not my intention. They are all merely suggestions based on my analysis of your goals and the current state of the space as shown in the video.

Second, What do you want to do with the roof accessories for the Lusso? Do you want to keep skis/boards/other things in the garage or upstairs? Since you have an elevator you have the freedom to easily put those things where you want. If you want to keep them in the garage, then perhaps dedicating part of a wall for that could serve both as storage and as a talking point for any social events. Again, not sure if you want this to be a multi-person social space, your fortress of solitude, or a mix of both.

Love the Lusso, by the way. Easily my favorite (plus the FF) Ferrari of the last 20 years. I keep waiting for the prices to come down and they just don't. At this point I'm thinking of getting s Stagea 260RS instead, at least I can afford that kind of toy.
Thank you and was not offended by your prior post at all. I really don’t have that many social events. The space is really just for me to hang out and wash my cars. I pretty much watch them after eat outing which only takes about seven minutes to do on average. I have plenty of storage space throughout the building so the only thing that I want in the garage or things I need to wash the cars or whatever looks cool. In terms of the roof rack, I am trying to find a surfboard to attach for summertime, although I am tempted to leave the ski rack on all your around just for kicks. It is purely for optics anyway. I have another pair of skis and a locker at the base of the mountain, you can get a good FF for a reasonable price and I think they will remain a good investment at the current value if not go up. I’d love to design and the V 12 from the moment I saw them. Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate it. Keep them coming .

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That picture X atlas posted brings up another great idea. Curtains that you can open and close are very effective at sound deadening. You could, for example, install a set of curtains that you can close over your garage door openings for sound deadening when listening to music.

When I built my home theater in Virginia, I found surplus curtains from a theater supply company. They were not expensive (or perhaps I should say, they were among the cheapest alternatives I found for sound deadening.)

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Funny, when I saw the title I assumed someone wanted advice on how to layout their tools (lathe, mill, etc.), work benches and lifts. How to separate the dirty shop areas from the clean ones, etc. You know, general workshop organization. I didn't realize the post was intended for Joanna Gaines.