Routing of transmisson reverse light switch wiring

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmm...so my reverse lights don't work, put the car up on stands to check connection - not connected, but I can't find the wires! Don't they come from the back of the car or??? Any insight appreciated. I wonder if I tucked them away somewhere.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, power runs from fuse 6 to a connector, connector to sender on transmission, then from there back to connector (which only sends power when the car is in reverse), then from connector down the driver's side light then across the back of the trunk to the other side light. Ground for the circuit is in the light assembly.

Have you checked at the sender on the transmission? You should have power to the sender when the key is on. From there, you need to locate the connector, which is near the steering column, check for power out when the car is in reverse.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So, power runs from fuse 6 to a connector, connector to sender on transmission, then from there back to connector (which only sends power when the car is in reverse), then from connector down the driver's side light then across the back of the trunk to the other side light. Ground for the circuit is in the light assembly.

Have you checked at the sender on the transmission? You should have power to the sender when the key is on. From there, you need to locate the connector, which is near the steering column, check for power out when the car is in reverse.
That's the thing, the transmission switch is missing the harness with the 2 wires with female spades and I can't locate it (probably tucked it away somewhere), I thought it came from the tunnel area somewhere, not from the firewall? I'm not sure the origin of it.

stphers

Reaction score
I thought that they ran from the drivers side rocker from the "B" pillar to the tunnel thru a small grommet to the side of the gearbox I think the grommet was about just aft of the shifter area 1/3 up from the floor based on memory for what that is worth

Thanks, Rick

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dang - memory is kinda faded on this, but I thought the wiring ran through the firewall under or to the left of the pedal box.

grnder95

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Steve,
I think that those two wires are part of the wire harness on the engine bay, You should be able to see them close to the fire wall.
Regards

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My recollection is that the two wires are alone in a firm case that exits through a rubber grommet at the bottom of the pedal box. The main front loom exit’s through t firewall. At least in my 1972…

i Will check to see if I have a picture

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes I vaguely recollect coiling up some wires and stashing them above the pedals because I wasn't sure what they were. Will be pulling the dreaded lower dash cover tomorrow for the 4th time in 2 weeks to check.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,
I have a picture that might be of some help.

The pedal box (removed and upside down) shows what I believe is the exit point of the transmission back-up light wires. The wires are still connected via their boot and have the hard case over them. The opening appears to be under the clutch master cylinder.

I looked through my other disassembly pictures and could not find a good shot of the assembly installed or the origin point of the wires under the dash.

Pedal box from bottom engine compartment.jpg

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,
I have a couple of pictures that might be of some help.

The pedal box (removed and upside down) shows what I believe is the exit point of the transmission back-up light wires. The wires are still connected via their boot and have the hard case over them. The opening appears to be under the clutch master cylinder.

I looked through my other disassembly pictures and could not find a good shot of the assembly installed or the origin point of the wires under the dash.
Cool, thanks

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow , those E9’s are certainly strange. Mine came off the harness to rear lights,etc. exited the harness at the drivers seat with the e-brake switch. Diverged at the tunnel, went forward to a small grommeted hole to trans. Seems like the e9 way would be shorter. A PITA but not critical. You will find it.(see what happens when you disassemble your car!)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got it. I had removed the harness during my engine bay resto thinking it was going to nowhere. In the insulation it also had these other two wires that had been cut (not by me) so I removed those to clean it up. It plugs into a connector under the steering column panel. The colors are blue/white and violet/black, neither of my wiring diagrams had the violet wire correct. Reverse lights back in action. Thanks for the help.

IMG_5060.jpeg

IMG_5062.jpeg

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got it. I had removed the harness during my engine bay resto thinking it was going to nowhere. In the insulation it also had these other two wires that had been cut (not by me) so I removed those to clean it up. It plugs into a connector under the steering column panel. The colors are blue/white and violet/black, neither of my wiring diagrams had the violet wire correct. Reverse lights back in action. Thanks for the help.

View attachment 177736

View attachment 177737
In the immortal words of Ozzie Osbourne, OH LORD YEA!