Rule of thumb on rim size ?

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Is there any rule of thumb on how wide of a rim with what offset will fit on our coupes :confused: without rolling the wheel lips ? I realize that’s a pretty stupid question because there’s so many other factors to consider such as rim size, tire size, wheel offset and how much the car is lowered. However I’m sure many of you have been down this road so I’m foolish to do the same with zero input. There are tons of OEM & aftermarket rims on eBay & Craig’s List, many of them are pretty ugly but some of them might be appropriate looking for reasonable money too. What is on the car now has got to go :oops:.
!1abc7.jpg
THANK YOU for your input and or guidance :-D. ~ John Buchtenkirch

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John,

If you go with the Alpina wheel in 16" you can use 7" ET11 in the front and 8" ET24 in the rear which is what I just did. With stock suspension (and good shocks) you have plenty of room. Just one way to go.

stco

Reaction score
On an E9 it is either 14" OEM BMW rims or 16" Alpina's ( open or closed lug) for me. Just to be sure I have all three :mrgreen:

61porsche

Reaction score
Whee....l choices

Besides the Aplinas, Style 5s seem to be a popular choice. If you're into retro- OZ. ( They look similar to period Alpina race items to me and I like that they're not on everything.) There's a near mint set ( Used for a very short time) for sale on Bigcoupe.com. Cheap too.

Don't see many Rials any more. The original CSL race wheel.

The other thing to watch out for is studs/ fasteners and caps. Try to get a whole set of everything or know where to get the parts.

Can't go wrong with a spiffy set of originals though. Tires are tougher to find though.

Best of luck...

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
John,

If you go with the Alpina wheel in 16" you can use 7" ET11 in the front and 8" ET24 in the rear which is what I just did. With stock suspension (and good shocks) you have plenty of room. Just one way to go.

Thanks Chris. That is the kind of information I was looking for --- how wide of a rim can you actually fit under a CS coupe. Not what someone thought looked cool or great, because that is purely subjective and based on the personal taste of the poster. ~ John Buchtenkirch