Sad news about the Mullin Museum in Oxnard California: closing February 10!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you are a fan of gorgeous automotive art, you no doubt and know about the stunning collection of pre-war French cars assembled by Peter Mullin. He has amassed, amongst others, probably the largest collection of Bugatti‘s including one of the only 3 Atlantiques in the world. You can see him several times on the Jay Leno‘s garage YouTube videos. But unlike some others, he wasn’t amassing his collection just for his own pleasure. He built a spectacular museum that was free to the public in Oxnard California. I’ve had a chance to visit it a couple of times and it is truly magnificent.

Sadly he passed away last fall. And, unfortunately this means that his museum will be closing February 10. If you have any opportunity to be in Southern California between now and then, I highly recommend you try and check it out. it is worth it just to see the (fjord) blue Atlantique. But you have to make reservations in advance on their website: www.mullinautomotivemuseum.com

Here is the official press release that came out this morning:

Oxnard, Calif. (Jan. 17, 2024) – In light of the passing of Peter Mullin in September 2023, the Mullin Automotive Museum has announced it will close its doors on Saturday, Feb. 10.

Peter and Merle Mullin founded the Oxnard-based museum in 2010 to educate guests about 20th-century French automotive styling and design by showcasing the finest vehicles, sculptures and artifacts from the most-esteemed French master coachbuilders. The museum boasts nearly 47,000 square feet of exhibit space in an elegantly designed structure, which was previously owned by legendary newspaper publisher Otis Chandler. In addition to its sweeping gallery spaces, the museum includes a roof garden, theater, gift shop and archival storage.

Peter was inspired by Art Deco design and was equally passionate about sharing it with the public. To continue that legacy, four of the collection’s most iconic vehicles have been donated to the Petersen Automotive Museum. The 1937 Talbot-Lago T150 CS “Teardrop,” the 1938 Hispano Suiza H6B Dubonnet Xenia, the 1939 Delahaye 165 and the 1938 Delahaye 145 will now become part of the Petersen Automotive Museum, which Peter helped transform into the globally respected automotive institution it is today as part of a major overhaul a decade ago.

“Sharing these ‘rolling sculptures’ and beautiful art with others was Peter’s truest passion, and the museum helped bring that vision to life,” said Merle Mullin, director of the Mullin Automotive Museum. “We are deeply indebted to our staff, docents, volunteers, visitors and supporters who have dedicated their time and passion over the past 13 years. I hope past and first-time visitors will have a chance to say goodbye before we close.”

The museum will be open on a limited basis through Saturday, Feb. 10. Please visit mullinautomotivemuseum.com for opening dates and hours.

Last edited:

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The Fjord Bugatti Atlantique Coupe was on loan to the Mullin from one of the "Walmart" Walton heirs.

Ralph Lauren bought the French Blue Atlantique Coupe from the "Vermont Doctor's Collection" & Paul Russel's shop painted it Black. In the book "Life is a Highway" Paul Russel let David E. Davis drive the freshly restored Bugatti & much to Paul's dismay, David missed a turn as they merged onto I-95!

Jay Leno's Atlantique Coupe an exceptional replica built by Argentinian Coach-builder Pur Sang. The company builds Bugatti 1920s T35 Grand Prix cars in a both race & road versions with headlights & fenders which are significantly more affordable at 1/10th the hammer price of an original race pedigreed Molsheim T35 to T57 Supercharged Grand Prix car.

Mark Hyman Ltd. in St. Louis has a road T35 Pur Sang in his inventory.

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That's terrible. I've always wanted to go...Have to see if I can get there is the next two weeks
Heads up. It’s only open this Friday and Saturday and Feb. 10. I was planning to go with a group of guys on March 2. After this news broke I was able to snag two tickets online for this Saturday. My wife and I are driving down tomorrow. The website was really slow and kept failing to proceed to the next screen, but I finally got through the process in about an hour last night. I feel really lucky to have snagged two tickets. My wife is as excited as I am, because she wants to see the cars for their beauty.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Heads up. It’s only open this Friday and Saturday and Feb. 10. I was planning to go with a group of guys on March 2. After this news broke I was able to snag two tickets online for this Saturday. My wife and I are driving down tomorrow. The website was really slow and kept failing to proceed to the next screen, but I finally got through the process in about an hour last night. I feel really lucky to have snagged two tickets. My wife is as excited as I am, because she wants to see the cars for their beauty.
You will always remember it

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We had an amazing visit to the Mullin yesterday. There are too many cars to show pictures of, but here are a few of the highlights spread over a couple of posts.

IMG_6642.jpeg
IMG_6668.jpeg
IMG_6669.jpeg
IMG_6681.jpeg
IMG_6685.jpeg

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What a great person Peter Mullin from what I read.
Bugattis created by an Italian in Germany then handed off to France as part of Alsace and eventually sold to Hispano-Suiza, only to end up in a museum in Los Angeles.
Looks like some of the cars will move to the Petersen museum in LA.

Great pictures Norm, thanks.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
So sorry it is happening so suddenly, so I will never see the collection.

The tax man cometh....

They are offering some cars already at Gooding Amelia Island in March (can't go due to a wedding), all no reserve. And the rest at an auction at the museum in April.

What a great collector, and so lovely he shared his passion with the rest of us.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Arde, good point.

It's hard to split a Delage 5 ways I guess.

He had five kids. From the company website...

--We are deeply saddened to share that M Financial Co-Founder Peter Mullin passed away on September 18, 2023, while surrounded by his family. He resided in California and is survived by his wife Merle, five children, and 13 cherished grandchildren. Peter is predeceased by his daughter, Courtney Margaret Mullin.

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I chatted up a few employees and based on what I heard, Arde is correct about the family interest being elsewhere. One of the employees said that the kids want the money now and don’t want to keep supporting the overhead. I was also told that his wife Merle, who is also elderly, likes traveling and has no interest in running the museum. Besides the cars values, operating the museum is a big annual cash drain. Another employee said they are trying to find a way to reopen after selling some cars, but that doesn’t seem likely given what I heard from the others.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I chatted up a few employees and based on what I heard, Arde is correct about the family interest being elsewhere. One of the employees said that the kids want the money now and don’t want to keep supporting the overhead. I was also told that his wife Merle, who is also elderly, likes traveling and has no interest in running the museum. Besides the cars values, operating the museum is a big annual cash drain. Another employee said they are trying to find a way to reopen after selling some cars, but that doesn’t seem likely given what I heard from the others.
Totally. It comes down to SFDon's wisdom:
"Buy it from the widow".

I have three children, the division is simple: E9, Fulvia, E24.
Primogeniture (/ˌpraɪməˈdʒɛnɪtʃər, -oʊ-/) is the feudal rule that always passes the E9 to the firstborn.
Any illegitimate children I am not aware of can still fight for the 318i.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
WOW ... beautiful cars, thanks for sharing. i'm with Scott ... i won't make it there to see them ... AAARGH