Series 1, 2, 3 ??

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Europeans reference Series 1, 2, and 3 E3s.

They appear to be..

Series 1 production start - 5/1971
Series 2 5/1971 - 9/1973
Series 3 9/1973 - 2/1977

Correct? If not, please show actual.

What were the major differences between each Series? In other words, what determined that a new Series was appropriate?

Same for the cars produced for North America?

Same date breaks for E9s?

Christoph

Reaction score
Yes.
Give me time.
Yes.
Probably.

Sorry for the overly short answer. I'll try to do better once the fair season is over.

Christoph

Reaction score
The large BMW – Series 1

The large BMW appeared in September 1968, first as the 2500, followed a few months later by the 2800; both were warmly welcomed by journalists and buyers alike. The newly developed in-line six-cylinder engine in particular stood out: the engines were unrivalled without being matched. The precise chassis was in a class of its own, especially the rear axle with semi-trailing arms and suspension struts. In combination with the other technology, this resulted in a vital driving experience with spectacular performance that was previously unknown in large cars. Even a test drive in a Series 1 E3 created a feeling of superiority, or rather: sovereignty.

For a luxury-class car, the E3 series was unusually compact; it was considered to be a roadworthy size. The difference to the four-cylinder 2000 was clear, but at the same time the new car was immediately recognisable as a BMW: functional, elegant, without fashionable frippery, a successful extension of the New Class upwards.

The E3 marked the beginning of the era of twin headlights at BMW. Another new feature was the instrument arrangement under a single cover. Indirect lighting, celebrated decades later as a big thing, was found in every E3. A small light next to the steering lock illuminated the ashtray and ventilation controls as a matter of course.
DSCN2914.jpg

Text by me for BMW E3 Club. Translation from German by DeepL and me. Picture by me.

Christoph

Reaction score
The strong BMW – Series 2

The 3.0 S appeared in the spring of 1971, followed a few months later by the 3.0 Si. The three-litre engines set standards in terms of torque and power without losing any of the smoothness of their smaller siblings. The 3.0 Si also made an impression with the Bosch D-Jetronic electronic petrol injection system. The even better driving performance also made an impression, particularly in terms of acceleration and pulling power.

At the same time, the exterior of the E3 was redesigned. Here the full class of the shape of the large BMW was revealed: with very simple means, a modern car for the seventies was created from a successful car of the sixties. The all-round moulding made the body appear longer and lower, supported by differently coloured trim grilles, modified rear roof pillars and simpler rear lights.

Specifically for North America, there was a version called the Bavaria with simple equipment. With the appearance of the three-litre version, the Bavaria Series 2 became a real success and also established BMW's reputation as a manufacturer of dynamic saloons on the other side of the Atlantic.
DSCN1826.jpg

Text by me for BMW E3 Club. Translation from German by DeepL and me. Picture by me.

Christoph

Reaction score
The fine BMW – Series 3

After a total of five years of production, the large BMW was comprehensively revised once again. Surprisingly enough, almost nothing changed in the exterior appearance of the car. The few parts that were now black instead of silver in colour were only noticed by attentive observers. Anyone who drove an E3 Series 3, on the other hand, noticed the progress immediately. The indicator controls were now located on the left-hand side of the steering column. The height of the driver's seat could be adjusted. New hydraulics made the clutch pedal easy to operate. Interior noise insulation and heating performance, including in the rear, were appropriate for a large saloon. The wider track at the front and rear fully emphasised the superiority of the chassis. BMW had listened carefully to the reports and wishes of its customers.

The E3, as the large BMW was never officially called, developed into both a dynamic and comfortable touring car, especially in its later years. Its successor was the first 7 Series, known as the new large BMW. It did not have it easy.
DSCN6916.JPG

Christoph

Reaction score
The long BMW – Long version

The compactness of the large BMW, its roadworthy dimensions, reliably prevented its use as a chauffeur-driven vehicle. BMW did not react immediately, and it was not until early 1974 that a long version of the E3 appeared in the form of the 3.3 L. The body had been lengthened by ten centimetres at the rear, creating a fairly acceptable footwell in the fond. The 3.3 L occupied a special position among the E3s. Not only was it longer and heavier and had an engine with massive torque, it was also equipped ex works with almost every available optional extra.

In the early days, the long bodies were produced with an incredibly high proportion of manual labour. This changed at the beginning of 1975 when the range was expanded to include the more simply equipped 2.8 L and 3.0 L models. These were also of interest to families with tall children, for example, and so the proportion of long bodies in total production rose sharply.

With the long large BMW, it was succeeded in creating a prestigious saloon with a dynamic driving experience, a combination that had previously been difficult to imagine. The models with the large engines, 3.3 L and 3.3 Li, were particularly impressive. More often, however, the focus was on space and comfort, which set the long models apart from other E3s and made them special vehicles within the series.
DSCN4914.jpg

MortyBMW

Reaction score
Could perhaps mention that series 3 also has different seats (the pattern) than series 2, and also the lower trim on the front and rear window became wider. Electric mirrors became an option. And the last two years (76-77) the front headrests changed from wide to narrow rods. The Zenith carbutettors also changed from series 2 to 3 (now with TN starter s and mixture bypass system). The injection changed from D Jet to L jet with 76 models. The automatic also changed during 75/76 from BW65 to ZF 3HP22. (series 1 had ZF 3HP20) The toolbox also changed with series 3 (from 2 piece to 1 piece) The manual gearbox also changed from series 1 to 2 (from ZF to Getrag)