Solved - bad engine noise!!

ray_in_savannah

Reaction score
Yeah I was going to suggest similar -- I had a loose pulley on the tii once. But I think Steve described the clatter as much more likely from above the pistons.

A stethoscope has been suggested, right?

(...How does one quote on this antiquated forum?? :D )

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From memory the loose damper will make a ”clacking” noise.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah I was going to suggest similar -- I had a loose pulley on the tii once. But I think Steve described the clatter as much more likely from above the pistons.

A stethoscope has been suggested, right?

(...How does one quote on this antiquated forum?? :D )
Everything is still a possibility at this point and I’m open to all suggestions. To quote, highlight the text the a “reply” bubble will appear over it to click.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Valve cover off- use a large flat head screw driver to check on chain tensioner piston tightness. Bright light - check on chain guide.
oil pump gear tight?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tensioner and chain are tight

Guides are new but will confirm

Oil pump gear is new and tight in spec and chain is new

Will report on other suggestions thanks

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok I am both embarrassed and relieved to report that I'm pretty sure I've found the noise, and as usual it's from the exhaust bracket. My recent hack vibration insulation job has failed. I have been planning on re-engineering this per @BarneyT 's setup but didn't bother to check it first when I put on jack stands. Oh well. Have a look:

All is not lost, it has given me an opportunity to QC my piston swap job by checking rod cap nuts etc. Plus cleaning, and other projects like a new A/C compressor bracket setup takes some of the time waste out. I may do the dreaded front lower control arm bushings with new large yellow washers, but I see that a recent pothole has bent that area so I have plenty to address here.

Thanks for all the help, if this doesn't solve it I'll be back!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So glad to hear it is nothing tragic. And my offer still stands to yellow plate your control arm washers if you'd like.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had a friend tear apart and rebuild his whole Jeep transfercase because of a noise.

Turned out to be very similar issue; exhaust hitting his floor board.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Exhaust bracket - that's great news (relatively), and of course opens the old can labeled "while I'm in there"...

Can we throw you a (rhetorical) rope to keep you from sliding into the abyss?
I’m already down there!