something is very fishy down in Florida / CS "i'' on BaT now

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Quiz: anyone else see something very fishy about this offering on BaT?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fishy aspects:
1) Cohline fuel hoses?
2) Single green screwdriver?
3) Took them 4 years to do what you did in less than one year?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is my 1973 3.0 CSi VIN plate from the PPI photos back in May 2011. I seriously doubt the Polaris BaT CSi was repainted with finely pulverized fish scales to create the 'metallic' paint. Fish scale paints are prohibitively expensive now as, I understand, from BMW Classic when we were there in September 2021.

IMG_1815.JPG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The VIN plate has certainly been attached with new rivets, but more importantly the VIN typeface and hand-stamped nature of it looks off.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm seeing what the elephant in the room is. I have studied VIN plates (perhaps not enough) to understand the differences. My focus is often on the font/lettering/spacing of "BAYERISCHE MOTOREN WERKE A.G" across the top, the same as well as its position of the "Munchen" on the second line. And the font weight and placement of the weights and model "Typ" within the silver (unpainted) rectangles. I also pay attention to the font of the VIN stamp itself. I am fascinated that, for example, the "1", "3", "4", "6", and "7" stamps are sometimes different. This is easily seen between models (2002, 2800, 3.0). But sometimes also on the same models but different years. The alignments are not always machine precise. All that said, aside from the rivets and the fact that this plate appears to have been dredged off the floor of the gulf, I am eager to understand what else we're seeing.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would think a CSi VIN plate would be appropriate for all 226xxxx VINs.

Last edited:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd say it's correct, 2261429
The car also has the CSi air filter bracket and hole in the frame rail.
I might still be missing something?

EDIT, I just now saw that the seller posted better pictures of both plate and stamp. Looks legit?

Screenshot_20240229_060550_Firefox.jpg

Last edited: