Speakers / Audio

Ian_fegan

Reaction score
Hi,

Briefly turning my attention to audio for my project 3.0CSi. I have a Blaupunkt Frankfurt (with MP3 addon) on route to me. There are some fairly ugly speakers in the doors of the car which won't survive the restoration. Looking for thoughts and ideas on what speakers and positioned where. If this has been covered elsewhere, I'm happy to be redirected...

Thanks all....

Simufly

Reaction score
I have a pair of slim 7" in the kick panels infront of the doors and a custom set of Cantors in the rear parcel shelf. Nice sound but with the coupe wind noise and an m30 on tune the whole set seems a bit of a waste!

Ian_fegan

Reaction score
I have a pair of slim 7" in the kick panels infront of the doors and a custom set of Cantors in the rear parcel shelf. Nice sound but with the coupe wind noise and an m30 on tune the whole set seems a bit of a waste!
Thanks....Not expecting a hifi experience, just a reasonable audio setup. If you get a chance, perhaps you might post some pictures?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am removing the radio from my car entirely, in part because I think it would be difficult to get a good sounding setup in the coupe. If I were to try, I would seek a three way setup, with a small subwoofer in the trunk, powered separately, a pair of kick panel midrange speakers, and a set of tweaters mounted in a set of pods. From a fidelity perspective, mounting the tweater pods on either end of the dash would be best. For looks, mounting in the center speaker location would be better, but sound quality would suffer.

This problem of getting tweaters mounted anywhere near ear height was a major reason I decided not to try to do this.

Ian_fegan

Reaction score
I am removing the radio from my car entirely, in part because I think it would be difficult to get a good sounding setup in the coupe. If I were to try, I would seek a three way setup, with a small subwoofer in the trunk, powered separately, a pair of kick panel midrange speakers, and a set of tweaters mounted in a set of pods. From a fidelity perspective, mounting the tweater pods on either end of the dash would be best. For looks, mounting in the center speaker location would be better, but sound quality would suffer.

This problem of getting tweaters mounted anywhere near ear height was a major reason I decided not to try to do this.
An all or nothing guy, love it... :)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Ian, unlike Chris (all or nothing) I am going to put a high quality Hi volume bluetooth speaker on a wand attached to the seat belt bolt on the center hump. This will allow me to go wireless with just my phone and have the speaker closer to my right ear when I bend it into that position (the wand, not my ear). It serves the purpose of music in the coupe and I hope that when necessary it can effectively cancel out the occasional jabbering of an annoying passenger.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Ian, unlike Chris (all or nothing) I am going to put a high quality Hi volume bluetooth speaker on a wand attached to the seat belt bolt on the center hump. This will allow me to go wireless with just my phone and have the speaker closer to my right ear when I bend it into that position (the wand, not my ear). It serves the purpose of music in the coupe and I hope that when necessary it can effectively cancel out the occasional jabbering of an annoying passenger.
Well good luck with that annoying passenger thing. I have had to become VERY selective.;)

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a boom box set up on the cars ie
Pair of tweeters on the front dash ... Just visible
Pair of 3 way midrange speakers in the front door panels & rear shelf
Running off one amp

2 16inch base box speakers in the boot running off off one amp

You hear the cars before you see them

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a wireless, rechargeable, Jambox connected to my Ipod. It sits on the dashboard in front of the speaker grille. Plenty of power, and easily locked in the glovebox. Looks good too

Ian_fegan

Reaction score
Bodywork guy is suggesting filling the aerial hole (electric aerial) and replacing the aerial with a concealed one. Probably no big deal to replace the broken electric aerial, but I have no major objection to covering the hole and moving to a concealed one... Any thoughts one way or another?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been leaning towards doing this as well. I have a hole in my front fender (wing) where there was an antenna. I do plan to have a cover for the car when it's not being driven to keep the Texas sun off the interior, so not having an antenna there would be helpful.
The reception from a hidden antenna won't be as good as a normal one, but it should be fine in the city and I don't plan to listen to the radio much, but will probably have some sort of Bluetooth audio setup so I can stream from my phone when I want.

Ian

TodB

Reaction score
...and I hope that when necessary it can effectively cancel out the occasional jabbering of an annoying passenger.

You are a funny man. I, too, no longer have a radio and use a blue tooth connected Bose Soundlink which sits in front of the OEM speaker. Its loud enough as long as the windows are not down. A jam box might be in my future.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have 5 1/4" speakers in the rear (parcel) shelf ... which is covered in speaker cloth ... so no visible speaker grilles. i have 4' thin speakers mounted in the front kick panels with separate tweeters mounted in the door ash trays (the vinyl and metal pieces were removed and replaced with fine hole, black perforated metal). the front crossovers are mounted on the underside of the dash within both gloveboxes.

please, do NOT put speakers in the door panels.

climbernyc

Reaction score
Previous owners put 6x9s on hat tray. Does anyone have thoughts about more period correct grills that would fit that size? I have vintage Blaupunkt speakers in kick panels

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Why not conceal the speakers in the hat tray using the existing holes? Mount underneath via the trunk and then get black vinyl material to recover the panel and perforate if necessary.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that's the nice thing about covering the parcel shelf in speaker cloth - the speakers mounted from underneath are totally concealed.