Steering issues (1973 CS).

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have installed Paul Baker springs, Bilstien's all four corners, strut bearings, camber plates and all bushings. I have a shake in the steering that appears at several different speeds. What should I address next?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah, redo the torque on the control arms.

Did you torque the wheels last time they came off the car? I retorque my wheels any time someone else puts a wheel on my car. Rarely do they get it right.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah, redo the torque on the control arms.

Did you torque the wheels last time they came off the car? I retorque my wheels any time someone else puts a wheel on my car. Rarely do they get it right.

I did not. What is the exact torque spec for the lugs?

tochi

Reaction score
I have installed Paul Baker springs, Bilstien's all four corners, strut bearings, camber plates and all bushings. I have a shake in the steering that appears at several different speeds. What should I address next?
As Steve noted, wheel balance, alignment and steering linkage condition are tops on the checklist for the symptom you seem to be describing. I would add to that list, checking for wheel/tire “roundness” and making sure that your wheel bearings are properly adjusted. One obvious question is whether your vehicle experienced this symptom before the recent suspension changes and, if not, same tires and wheels?.

You mentioned that you had not checked the vehicle’s alignment since the suspension re-do. In stock configuration, absent accident damage or significantly worn steering components, the biggest setting to be concerned with is "toe," and getting things close-to-straight is not that difficult. But all bets are off since you mentioned camber plates and springs that might dramatically lower the vehicle’s stance and alter the suspension geometry. That said, mis-alignment or deliberately altered alignment settings might result in a poorly tracking vehicle or premature tire wear, among other steering/suspension components, - but it is unlikely to cause a shaky steering wheel. I hasten to note that failing to properly tighten strut bearings or other components could conceivably lead to suspension, steering and ride "irregularities."

attachment.php

wheel-balancing-machine-896x1024.jpg
a610cyfl1lg41.jpg

BMW%20e9%20SACK.jpg

Second look
bmw-e9-occasion-002.jpg

bmw-e9-occasion-005.jpg

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a shake in the steering that appears at several different speeds. What should I address next?
At several different discrete speeds suggest it is a resonance phenomenon. Bad tires (not round anymore) in my experience produce a vibration that increases with speed is continuous, not discrete speeds. Response means oscillatory, which can happen when there is play somewhere.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As Steve noted, wheel balance, alignment and steering linkage condition are tops on the checklist for the symptom you seem to be describing. I would add to that list, checking for wheel/tire “roundness” and making sure that your wheel bearings are properly adjusted. One obvious question is whether your vehicle experienced this symptom before the recent suspension changes and, if not, same tires and wheels?.

You mentioned that you had not checked the vehicle’s alignment since the suspension re-do. In stock configuration, absent accident damage or significantly worn steering components, the biggest setting to be concerned with is "toe," and getting things close-to-straight is not that difficult. But all bets are off since you mentioned camber plates and springs that might dramatically lower the vehicle’s stance and alter the suspension geometry. That said, mis-alignment or deliberately altered alignment settings might result in a poorly tracking vehicle or premature tire wear, among other steering/suspension components, - but it is unlikely to cause a shaky steering wheel. I hasten to note that failing to properly tighten strut bearings or other components could conceivably lead to suspension, steering and ride "irregularities."

attachment.php

a610cyfl1lg41.jpg

BMW%20e9%20SACK.jpg

Second look
bmw-e9-occasion-002.jpg

bmw-e9-occasion-005.jpg

attachment.php

a610cyfl1lg41.jpg

BMW%20e9%20SACK.jpg

Second look
bmw-e9-occasion-002.jpg

bmw-e9-occasion-005.jpg

I am going to start with the alignment, then work through the rest of the items that you have listed.

The tires are fresh Pirelli CN36, so I don’t think they are the issue. I will rotate them to see if that improves the situation.

I appreciate your input here.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
At several different discrete speeds suggest it is a resonance phenomenon. Bad tires (not round anymore) in my experience produce a vibration that increases with speed is continuous, not discrete speeds. Response means oscillatory, which can happen when there is play somewhere.

I suspect that I may have play at the steering linkage. There is an intermittent dead spot at about 30 mph and a noticeable shake at 85 mph.

tochi

Reaction score
The tires are fresh Pirelli CN36, so I don’t think they are the issue. I will rotate them to see if that improves the situation.

You might consider contacting the party who mounted and balanced your fresh tires rather than chasing other phantoms. (I am not suggesting that your problem lies with tires, wheels or balance, but merely that it is a fair possibility.)

While starting with “fresh” tires is always a good idea, it is no guarantee against defects, even small ones. Tires tend to be mass-produced and while newer production methodology improves tire quality, imperfections may still slip past current quality control. Consider that new tires have thicker/taller tread covering various plies. A tire may be round or true, but it may not correct an out-of-round wheel rim. A tire may appear to be perfectly round while pressurized on a balance machine, but an out-of-roundness issue may only become obvious when the tire and wheel are under a load, i.e., carrying some of the vehicle’s weight. There are also numerous ways of balancing tires, and that includes the balance weight location/placement. Sometimes . . . an out-of-balance tire can be corrected by repositioning the tire on the rim.

https://tiresglobe.com/out-of-round-tire/

out-of-round-tire-symptoms.jpg
causes-of-out-of-round-tire.jpg

iu
attachment.php

michelin-xwx-classic-car-tyre-3d-model-max-obj-fbx.jpg

pirelli-cn36-classic-car-tyre-3d-model-max-obj-fbx.jpg

thumb-1920-1087429.jpg

c297894f886e3b22d49fcdf5dfa37f41.jpg

Looks fast, even at rest?

s-l500.png

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Free easy things first…

If you want to know how to check for a bad wheel bearing, place your car on a jack stand, grip your hands on the 6 and 12 o'clock positions of the tire and try to rock the wheel.

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
85 MPH and living in LA are mutually exclusive. Perhaps you meant 8.5 MPH?

Los Angeles has its well documented traffic problems, but they are mostly time specific.

I live in the city and I still have a two mile high speed loop that I use to dry my car after washing (beginning and ending at my driveway).

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
out of curiosity, does the vibration come when braking or just when driving? i have had this issue in the past with warped brake rotors (when braking)

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
out of curiosity, does the vibration come when braking or just when driving? i have had this issue in the past with warped brake rotors (when braking)

For the most part it's just when accelerating. I installed fresh front rotors recently.

bengal taiga

Reaction score
For the most part it's just when accelerating. I installed fresh front rotors recently.
Could you be mischaracterizing your vehicle’s symptoms as a steering or front suspension “shake” as distinct from a general drive train “shake?” A vibration felt when accelerating suggests a problem below or behind the driver, e.g., a soft transmission mount, a compromised giubo or a misaligned drive shaft. Any or all of these possibilities could result in a shake transmitted to the cabin or gearshift - rather than the steering wheel.