Strut bar.......

Orangener

Reaction score
In my list are the following members marked as "parcel shipped but still not received", this is was I have found when I checked Track&Trace today:

Andy Mueller/Germany marked as delivered on 11.01.2013 11:57:00
David / USA marked as delivered on January 28, 2013, 2:47 pm LOS ANGELES
bwalvoord / USA www.usps.com/redelivery or calling 800-ASK-USPS, or may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice. If this item is unclaimed after 30 days then it will be returned to the sender.
m5bb / USA marked as delivered on January 24, 2013, 9:52 am in DULUTH, GA 30096
WALTER / USA Arrival at Unit on January 24, 2013, 5:14 am in WASHINGTON, DC 20009
afeustel / USA Processed Through Sort Facility on January 26, 2013, 10:21 am in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
Rum1973 / USA Depart USPS Sort Facility on January 29, 2013 in MEMPHIS, TN 38136
ccr2002 / USA Processed Through Sort Facility January 26, 2013, 10:54 pm NEW YORK NY(USPS)

For the following members I found no information:
Nicad/Canada
loloe13/Australia
Frederik /Sweden

Is my list correct ? Please let me know if still received the bar, or desperately waiting or something else..............I have to update my list !

And @ Benji ! Pick up your parcel, its waiting for you !

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don't worry...

I filled out the re-deliver card so it should be on the porch when I get home this afternoon.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Andi,

Strut bar received. I can't let you know the condition as my father took receipt of it in my absence. I'll let you know how everything is when I return to the States in March.

Thanks,

Walter

loloe13

Reaction score
have received mine last week, just bought some thin rubber sheets to use as 'gasket' for the bases. hope to post some pics when all installed. thanks again champ-Andi! :p

Orangener

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies, here´s the updated list:
m5bb / USA marked as delivered on January 24, 2013, 9:52 am in DULUTH, GA 30096
afeustel / USA Processed Through Sort Facility on January 26, 2013, 10:21 am in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
Rum1973 / USA Depart USPS Sort Facility on January 29, 2013 in MEMPHIS, TN 38136
ccr2002 / USA Processed Through Sort Facility January 26, 2013, 10:54 pm NEW YORK NY(USPS)
Frederik /Sweden Item delivered on 18.01.2013 17:24:00 in Sweden
Nicad/Canada Consignee not available at time of delivery - carded on 23.01.2013 13:12:00 CA

Last edited:

mandala

Reaction score
Any more available?

Coming in late as I have been off the board. I would be interested if there were any extras....

Orangener

Reaction score
@mandala: There´s none left, sold out, I´m sorry, you have to wait till next X-mas, maybe than I can do a next run..........

@snj5: I have sent you the installation instruction via mail, but here it is again, and apologize my english, I´m Austrian like Arnold Schwarzenegger ;-)

To protect the paint of your cars from scratches during installation use a thin sheet of plastic under each plate, for example, a shopping bag.
This plastic is only for the measuring, the description you find in the following text .

After that measurement, a very thin gasket sheet could be purchased at your local auto parts store and cut to fit tha shape of the plates.
It can be left there when the plates are fix mounted.
It is not a requirement, but usefull, the body of your car works, the strutbar is for more stiffness, it can scrub between those parts .

Now to the measurement:
Mount both plates to the domes, remove the low construction nuts M12 off the balljoints, turn the high, standard M12 to the lowest end of the thread and measure the distance between the nuts. You may need a second person to do this!
Now measure the bar. If you have enough space, you can use the standard nuts, if not, please use the low construction nuts.
Not every E9 is identical to the other, it´s Karmann-made, therefore I have added to sizes of nuts to the parcel, to avoid possible problems.
At least, remove one plate, screw the connecting rod (with the mounted aluminium bracket installed for those who have the CSL-version) to both ball joints at the same time and re-assemble.
Be carefull and install the bracket for the CSL with the notch in the correct direction !

Done!

Have fun with it !

PS: Please, do not forget to take pictures and send them to me or post it on the board! I will need it for my archive !

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I started to install the strut this weekend.

As you can see below, I started by making a gasket.
IMG_1065.jpg

I still have the sound deadening material, so this may have been unnecessary.
IMG_1069.jpg

The passenger side mounted very easily, but the drivers side was a tight fit.
IMG_1081.jpg
IMG_1070.jpg

It took a little persuasion to get it on.
IMG_1084.jpg

I was glad to see that my fuel filter wasnt in the way.
IMG_1080.jpg

I still have to cut down the studs to use the cap nuts, but that will have to be next weekend.
IMG_1082.jpg

Really happy with the quality of the part.
IMG_1066.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg

Thanks Andi.

Last edited:

Rum1973

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ahoy in Mississippi!

Arrived here Friday night, a work of art! Thank you should go on the coupe when shes back from sfdon this spring. Will send pictures when installed. Rum

Orangener

Reaction score
Thank you David!
Great pictures, nice work, I´m so proud !

Updated list, @ Bob, I try to get informations today :

afeustel / USA Depart USPS Sort Facility on February 01, 2013 in DALLAS, TX 75398
Nicad/Canada Consignee not available at time of delivery - carded on 23.01.2013 13:12:00 CA

Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
Thanks David,
I purchased and installed Andi's first run....cross bar I built myself. At that time the suggestion of a gasket under I do not recall. As you see from the photo I had some deflection which caused the tar paper or sound deadening to crack. So some sort of gasket material is recommended. Let me know if the cork holds up before I proceed. Any advise to repair the paper damaged?

Attachments

• 100_2154.jpg
    100_2154.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 225

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi
Im afraid I dont know how to repair the material that covers the area around the fender. I "think" it's an asphalt like material. It seems like removing the entire section and then replacing a new piece would do a fair bit of damage, but I dont know of any options. Maybe a heat gun would remove it without too much damage.

Orangener

Reaction score
Updated list : Only two are not delivered ! :smile:

@ Bob : Sorry ! I reopen old sores......... :-( Any good news ?

@ afeustel / USA

They attempted to deliver your item at 12:09 pm on February 04, 2013 in HOUSTON, TX 77059 and a notice was left.
You may arrange redelivery by calling 800-ASK-USPS, or may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice.
If this item is unclaimed after 30 days then it will be returned to the sender.

@ ccr2002 / USA

Item was delivered at 10:45 am on February 05, 2013 in SALT LAKE CITY, UT

@ Nicad/Canada

Consignee not available at time of delivery - carded on 23.01.2013 13:12:00 CA